Better woofer for Jubilee?

jorjen

On the EVM12L the specs aren't that great, how does it test out good. I guess things can look good on paper.

The EVM12L is an exceptionally good driver. Originally designed for horn use, it has more recently been applied as a "guitar speaker".

With horns, the LF response is largely controlled by the horn itself. It is the HF response where the woofer makes the most difference. In this the EVM12L excels among 12" drivers. Drivers with responses very similar to the EVM12L include the B&C PE31 and PE32.

It was also a Klipsch K-42 without the "EV" emblem with with a Klipsch stamp on it. Used in the Pro Heresy cabs.

The B&C 12NDL76 is a good 12" horn driver too.

I personally would look for something with a better pole piece though if you wanna try to EQ up the bottom end. The 12NDL88 looks like it might be a good option, but I haven't run the numbers yet.

Has any one had or heard Crites CW1228 in Jubilee?

I haven't actually heard one, but both the CW1228 and the CW1230 perform well in a Hornresp Jubilee model. The 1228 T/S parameters are available on the Internet, but I had to go directly to Bob Crites for the 1230 T/S parameters and he asked me to treat them as proprietary.

1228 in black; 1230 in gray.

post-20593-0-45760000-1435771538_thumb.p

I haven't actually heard one, but both the CW1228 and the CW1230 perform well in a Hornresp Jubilee model.

Yes, but same can be said about Kappa Pro 12A. And from JWC's observations there is a significant difference between 12A and K-31E.

One more candidate could be Pyle PMW12A. Unfortunately there is no full set of data for it. But with those defined seems to simulates good too.

Edited by Bacek

Yes, but same can be said about Kappa Pro 12A. And from JWC's observations there is a significant difference between 12A and K-31E.

Yes, of course. The simulations can help eliminate the bad candidates, but ultimately only the ear can select between the good candidates.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...
On 1/24/2014 at 6:13 PM, jwc said:

K-31

post-14392-0-19100000-1390616017_thumb.j

What about the 15 inch used in the Speakerlab Ks?  It had an Fs of 16 Hz and QTS I am told of .19.  By accident ( my sister had tape monitor on tape did not get any sound, turned the receiver volume all the way and trying to get sound put monitor on source.)!!!! on the first band of the record Earthquake movie soundtrack pushed by a Marantz 2270 at full volume. My sliding glass door was cracked from top to bottom, and neighbors asking if we felt the tremor! 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 4:58 PM, wrals said:

Just wondering if anyone has looked into this more recently? Does anyone know of any new drivers on the market to replace the K-31 that more closely match the specs?

yeah , the k-31  has a klipsch  replacement Part  for the last 2 years , 100%  identical specs to the K-31

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 12:22 AM, OO1 said:

yeah , the k-31  has a klipsch  replacement Part  for the last 2 years , 100%  identical specs to the K-31

Thanks @OO1

Do you know how best to go about purchasing the replacement? Is it the same part number?

2 hours ago, wrals said:

Thanks @OO1

Do you know how best to go about purchasing the replacement? Is it the same part number?

no  , it's not the same part number .

1-800-554-7724  https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

The K-31  was replaced by the  K-282-E  /klipsch  part # 1067961  ,  100%  same specs as the K-31 but it's not a cosmetic  match