Little bass from K-horns

loudandclear

Carl B, glad to hear someone else can relate to my issue. I was going to hook a different source to it,but after looking at it,its way too involved.Pretty confidant its the source. Going to wait till i find a non-duty receiver(one not in use)for now i'll have to live with it.Kinda sucks but it is a secondary system(work-out room).When the funds become available i will get something vintage as i stated earlier in this post,a Sansui 9090 or Marantz 2020b or both!Same guy has both.Thanks

Sorry, that is the way the music is "displayed" it just fills the room you can't tell where its coming from , just sounds amazing,like you are there. That is what i was referring to by "coming from the ceiling"! Sorry. The imaging is awesome
Good, that sounds right to me. Gotta be something else, and I now suspect the receiver. 2.5 ohms sounds in the range of Klipsch's "horn only" K-33's, although 3.6 is more common. E-mail Bob Crites.

If you actually have 2.5 ohms for just the woofer, something is wrong with it. Now if you still have all the stuff for the network hooked up to the woofer when testing it, then possible though still sounds quite low. Should be higher especially if the choke is in line with the woofer.

hi, i've been keeping an eye on this topic because a similar situation has occur to my corn, fortunately the backs of both my speakers are off'

did the ohm test and all that, the reading were very similar . .1 or .2 ohm. even moved the networks , no change. as i said the backs of my speakers are off, so as i went through and re-read the post and just out of curiosity, check the cones and found one of them detached from center. although i knew i needed a new woofer trying to find the problem was bugging me , i think because of the similarity of the issues the answer most likely will be the same . the electrical circuit is not at fault its the mechanical attachment.hope this helps.

in my particular case grand son turned the pre all the way out , this might not have been the only factor, it just happen to be the result , call it coincident.. this might not be the same in your case , not sure how, and if this is something that can be checked without a lot of trouble ,it would just clarify , and eliminate. i'm sure if you set your system to stereo and do your check it will be easier to determine this issue if you hadn't done so. looking at speaker you would never think there was any separation. i only came to this conclusion because the one that plays is mechanically sound, and the other isn't ..hope you are successful in your search

ie the electrical wiring from +to- is unbroken thus your circuit will read its value.

I'm not an expert, but I've noticed that the affordable AVRs really do not do well with these speakers.

I have heard that AVRs really aren't a good match also, some said its because they have a sub out jack, just not their niche! Proly gonna go the vintage route. What do you think about a Marantz 2020b? Big enough? I can get one for 150.

It's not the fact that they have sub out jack that makes them questionable. The problem is that AVR power ratings (and distortion ratings) are sometimes fudged. The Marantz may not be very good either. I had a Marantz of that era for a while, and it did not sound good with Klipschorns. Since then I have had a Luxman L580 100 w.p.c. integrated amp that sounded great, a Yamaha 135 w.p.c. power amp that sounded pretty good, and now NAD C272 power amps, with a new Marantz preamp/processor, and the sound is very good, but probably not quite as good as with the Luxman. The so called "vintage" Marantz products of the '70s and a little later were not too good (IMO). I don't know about the 2020b. The true vintage Marantz electronics were of the '50s and '60s, and most were wonderful. That was when Saul Marantz owned the company; it was sold to others in about 1970 (Superscope, then ____?). Recently, Marantz staged a comeback, and new units should be good. I really like my Marantz pre-pro AV7005, but it only has Audyssey XT, instead of the better XT32.

Edited by Garyrc

UPDATE: I just spent 2.5 hrs tearing down one system and setting up another to test my K-horns! Results: Bottom line is a Yahama HTR 5150 doesn't cut the mustard to deliver enough power to the K-horns!Sound fine for highs and mids,zero to the woofers. I hooked up my Adcom GFA 535 to them and there it was! I suspected this all along,but didn't think it would be that drastic.They are not as pronounced in the low end as the other pair is with a GFA 555,but sounds nice. Proly should have tried this right away,but like I said,didn't suspect that it would be that noticeable. Thanks to everyone,I think we all learned a little something from this. Have a good day and happy listening!

Edited by loudandclear

• Moderators
I hooked up my Adcom GFA 535 to them and there it was! I suspected this all along,but didn't think it would be that drastic.

Great news glad you got it figured out.

I thought it would be part of the problem but not to that extent.

When I first got some Cornwalls I hooked them up to a Yamaha Ht rx v730 and they had some bass but nothing to get excited about. I switched out the Yamaha for a Hk 930. When I first turned it on I walked over to the Yamaha not thinking to turn off the sub. It was not even connected, I had forgotten, that's how much different it sounded than the Yamaha.

FWIW, just to add, if anybody has the ability to set their system up like I have this one i think it would be fun to try/experience. Unreal how much more detail you get,keep in mind the speakers should have the same/matched components.ie drivers.If you try it share your experience!Have a blast!

Edited by loudandclear