Klipsche Quartet - purchased 1991- should I sell or keep?

golfdawg11

I"m putting this in "Garage Sale", but it could / should go in another forum area, but I thought I'd start here.

I've got a pair of walnut oiled Klipsche Quartet speakers from 1991. I still have the original paperwork from when I bought them here in Houston.

I got married in 2001, and the wife didn't like them. So did the next girlfriend I lived with for ten years (maybe this is one reason they are in the past???) I have kept them inside, room temp, and have had them stored in an old pine armoire for the past ten years.

Broke up with gf, moved into townhome, and bought a 60" Smart TV, Samsung. Still putting things away and put up and cleaning up my life. So I thought about selling them and buying a home entertainment system. BUT, I started reading, and now I'm wondering if I should buy a reciever and hook them up to that instead , and use that as my home entertainment sound.

I guess more pertinent to this forum is what are they worth? The original cost, plus tax was $1050 for the pair. I won't bother posting pictures, because the are in excellent condition, and I oiled the wood before I stored them, so they look practically brand new. I have NOT hooked them up yet, as I do need a receiver for that. I have them listed for $700 on Craigslist , and on eBay at a starting bid for $799, Buy It Now for $1200 ( I think).

First, is my price in the ballpark? Are 23 year old speakers like these worth keeping? Is my idea of buying a receiver and hooking them up to the TV the best answer? Do I need additional hardware besides the two speakers,or will the two quartets make me happy?

I know someone may want to convince me to sell them these at a good deal, but I hope everyone can put aside their desire for a good deal to give me some honest answers :) And, which section should I cross post this on the forum?

Thanks for any and all input. I haven't heard them in about 15 years, and, if I did, I might hug them for life, but I wanted some experienced viewpoints. Thanks!

You could post these in the 2 channel if going to consider having just the 2 speakers for a listening system or the Home theater section if asking surround questions. Garage is correct section for sale.

Welcome to the forum!

If going to use for music, the 2 channel better.

First, is my price in the ballpark? Are 23 year old speakers like these worth keeping? Is my idea of buying a receiver and hooking them up to the TV the best answer? Do I need additional hardware besides the two speakers,or will the two quartets make me happy? I know someone may want to convince me to sell them these at a good deal, but I hope everyone can put aside their desire for a good deal to give me some honest answers And, which section should I cross post this on the forum?

I'm not a potential buyer. For ME PERSONALLY, you wouldn't be in the ballpark.

As far as keeping them goes, If it were me, I would.

You are in the correct section.

Got mine for $350 - oak not a scratch on them and guy still had the original boxes. I need to read up on how to mod them.

I sold a pair of Oaks to a fellow forum member for less than that. No boxes though. Sonically perfect, minor blemishes on the cab if you looked REALLY close.

Thanks for all the input guys (I'm assuming all guys).

TigerwoodKhorns , you have probably the best idea. Looks like $400 or so is what I can expect, so I need to price a receiver (need one anyway) and go listen to some home entertainment centers in the $400 price range. I think you have given me the answer in advance, that I won't be able to get anything in that price range that will sound better than the Quartets hooked up to the TV. And I appreciate the suggestion about the Academy for a matching center. That sounds like the best way to go, so let me get checking.

I don't know the slang, so what's "mod" or "modding"? I'm guessing modernizing them in some fashion.

Yes, "Mods" or "modding" refers to updating the caps on the xovers, perhaps replaceing the original phenolic diaphragms with titanium in the squawker and tweeter.

The Quartet is a very respectable speaker. I own forte II that I bought new in 1992, which is the bigger brother to the quartet. INMHO you would need to spend close to $3,000.00 on new speakers to do better than what you have. Are you sure you paid over a $1,000.00 new? I only paid $850.00 for my forte II in 1992 at a now defunct retailer by the name of United Audio.

I have made all of the above modifications on my forte II and would never consider parting with.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

Carlooch hit it right on the head. Either a integrated 2 channel receiver, or look at used seperates. IE; 2 channel amp, and seperate preamp. Seperates INMHO is the way to go for best overall sound. Keep an eye out in the garage sale here, Audiogon and your local Craigslist.

Best regards,

John

I'm looking for an Academy per the recommendation from a forum member here. Found a pair on Craigslist fro $150, but they were gone in two days! Three on eBay, from $180 to $310, the $180 pretty nicked up, but all black and I'd like walnut, but could live with black. Thanks for the input on 2 speakers needing only a 2 channel receiver, but I hope to add an Academy if I can find one. Seems from initial research that Harman Kardon is a popular choice, but I'm just scratching the surface. I'm relearning all of this, ex-wives and ex-girlfriends have kept me from listening to good music on a good system!