Cornwall vs cornscala d

jvert

And why would anyone pay twice as much for the Cornwall 3's?

i can think of 2 reasons right off the top of my head, because i wanted my 4 cornwall 3's in cherry veneer and to put money into klipsch's pocket

welcome to the forum

Edited by Budman

4 cornwalls?? geeeezzzz!!!!! Don't know what you are doing with your life but you must be doing something right lol! that's some serious green to drop man!! More power to ya. But that's way too much for us common folk. Thx for your reply.

hunter buddies of mine spend upwards of $5k a year to get their tag limit. You can spend $3-7k on a 4-wheeler or jet ski. Boats cost $30k. My 20yr old shotgun was $1,400. The Browning 725 I want is around $3,200. Expensive hobbies exist all around us, but only audio systems seem to raise eyebrows with the "responsibility police"

Is $8k amortized over the next 20+ years really that big of a deal?

• Like 9

hunter buddies of mine spend upwards of $5k a year to get their tag limit. You can spend $3-7k on a 4-wheeler or jet ski. Boats cost $30k. My 20yr old shotgun was $1,400. The Browning 725 I want is around $3,200. Expensive hobbies exist all around us, but only audio systems seem to raise eyebrows with the "responsibility police"

Well said.

• Like 1

Well said.

+1

No, but most people can't make payments that way. 8k is a decent chunk all at once, at least for me it would be.

pssshhh.. mere details.

Sorry I forgot who I was talking to for a moment.

• Like 1

The Cornwall 3 is a great sounding all around speaker, i would buy them in a heartbeat.

I think the Cornscala sounds somewhat a little bright for my tastes but still sounded good.

Never heard them next to each other to A/B them with the same amp/room combo so take my findings with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Thx jason str, your response was about the only helpful one. As to the others, it's all relative guys. For me it would be ridiculous to spend that much money on audio. And I don't spend on my hobbies based on how much other people, perhaps foolishly, spend on theirs. But of course foolish is relative also.

"I think the Cornscala sounds somewhat a little bright for my tastes but still sounded good."

That's like complaining about too much salt on your food.

The Cornscala is infinitely adjustable with a near infinite choice of components, networks, and the balance of the drivers in the network.

Just curious if anyone has experience with both the Cornwall 3 and Crites cornscala d model. And why would anyone pay twice as much for the Cornwall 3's?

I bought Heresy 3's a year ago for the same two reasons Budman gave and also for most of the same reasons that I like buying a new car more than buying a used one or building my own.

Thaddeus, calm down killer! If I'm trying to find out about how a klipsch speaker compares to another speaker thats made by a guy who is pretty famous in the klipsch community I cant think of a better forum to go to. But granted maybe I should have phrased my initial question more tactfully.

• Like 1

Just curious if anyone has experience with both the Cornwall 3 and Crites cornscala d model. And why would anyone pay twice as much for the Cornwall 3's?

The proper answer to any question on this forum that relates to a speaker costing too much is: "man for that price you could buy xx Jubilees." :P

In this case about 1/2.

Bruce has the best answer. :emotion-21:

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone I'm new here but I have been involved in this industry for some time and thought I would try to put the response to the question of why would someone spend more money on the Klipsch vs Cornscala.

I agree with the other gentlemen regarding that most hobbies can get expensive and some choose to engage and some dont but perhaps I can shed more light on this subject.

The main reasons I think are two fold first of all Klipsch is large corporation vs a DIY kit, that in itself should provide the foundation of the reasoning.

Klipsch has higher costs including a responsibility to its clients, they are liable, they provide warranty, they provide jobs = this costs more hence they need to make a profit so they can exist. On top of that there are other aspects such as pride of ownership, brand alliance and within reason resale value. not to say that you can feel pride with a DIY kit but I think you get the point. 

The DIY kits do not have any of these concerns hence they cost less.

Which brings to mind the other and most significant reason they are addressing to distinctly different markets DIY vs Established brands.

For people who want and have the skill to build their own speakers, amplifiers or cars, or motorcycles or fly rods etc, the DIY offers those people that opportunity what you receive is the satisfaction of doing the job yourself and potentially a cost savings if compared to similar products manufactured by relevant companies.

So for that question if you want to compare costs of apples to apples when it comes to why one speaker vs another is more money

A more relative question is would potentially be comparing the Cornwall vs lets say a JBL horn speaker of comparable specifications.

I hope this answers this particular question.

On to the initial questions which sounds better?? unless anyone has those two products and tests them under the exact conditions no one can really answer you. Not too mention that unless you know this persons rooms acoustics and are intimately familiar with their gear and personal tastes. Anyone's review including professional reviewers are actually difficult to base your opinion on. They can offer objective info such as measured performance, reliability build quality but any subjective perspective is impossible.

But if I can make a best guest scenario having owned the Klipschs and looking at the Cornscala models I would say they are more similar then not, as well some of the Cornscala models use better quality components the Cornwall which leads me to believe they should  perform better but for the price  would take the chance as it seems like a great project. I would probably go for either the two way using the Faital drivers they are  top notch no compromise performers. The other one using the large Selenium mid range also looks serious too. 

Finally one other area that is interesting building a kit is the ability to do a fully active system and bi amp. 

One suggestion is a traditional active x over and using two of your fave amps or another idea which I have done on several projects to great success is buying two IPD 1200 by Lab Gruppenhttp://labgruppen.com/view-model/ipd-series/ipd-1200

They are very inexpensive (yes compared to traditional amps of similar power) and have a the ability to create many xovers and a full parametric EQ which can provide extensive customization. 

I have used these often and the results were incredible. 

In any event enjoy 

• Like 5