Cornwall vs cornscala d

jvert

I would go with the cornscala over the 3 because of the larger mid horn and lower price. You might check out Fastlane Audio. He makes nice horns and might give you a little insight on the 3's. I don't know him personally but he seems like a nice guy.

Good luck and welcome to the forum Jvert.

Thx jason str, your response was about the only helpful one. As to the others, it's all relative guys. For me it would be ridiculous to spend that much money on audio. And I don't spend on my hobbies based on how much other people, perhaps foolishly, spend on theirs. But of course foolish is relative also.

dont worry it will grow on you - sooner or later - just like all of us - you 'll buy more klipsch speakers - just wait and see when you will spot a deal here - another deal there - it is just as question of time -.

• Like 1

Just curious if anyone has experience with both the Cornwall 3 and Crites cornscala d model. And why would anyone pay twice as much for the Cornwall 3's?

by the time , you build and load up the cornscalas with proper -woofers -drivers -horns -crossovers -wiring and then veneer the cabs -new grilles-fabric -badges-risers - insulation -you will end up paying just as much as CW3 from klipsch -

a Cornscala is not a cheaper product to build -but it is tailored to your specifications - a one of a kind versus the factory ready made product -

Edited by Randyh
  • Like 2

"I think the Cornscala sounds somewhat a little bright for my tastes but still sounded good."

That's like complaining about too much salt on your food.

The Cornscala is infinitely adjustable with a near infinite choice of components, networks, and the balance of the drivers in the network.

Agreed, but only if they know what they're doing, and many don't. Some then come and get agitated when we don't write a step by step tutorial for them.

"Flat" response with a low order filter built with lossless parts is bright, painfully bright, or anything in between. If you buy the Cornwall IIIs, you won't have this problem, and you can get them in the finish of your choice - however, you will lose the resolving power provided by the bigger mid-driver and horn of the CornScala.

Never heard them next to each other to A/B them with the same amp/room combo so take my findings with a grain of salt.

I have the Crites Cornscala C and Cornwall II's. The Cornscala has far more punch, is more dynamic and just looks cool.

• Like 1

Thaddeus, calm down killer! If I'm trying to find out about how a klipsch speaker compares to another speaker thats made by a guy who is pretty famous in the klipsch community I cant think of a better forum to go to. But granted maybe I should have phrased my initial question more tactfully.

jvert, don't worry man. I a newb doesn't insult at least one old timer, whether they meant to or not, then you're not doing yer job. 

didn't find anything insulting in what you said.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a pair of Cornwall 2's that have K-107-Ti tweeters, new midrange phenolic diaphrams (in the larger K601 horn...), bandpass filters, and the upgraded Crites crossovers. 

I also have a pair of Cornwall 1's that I converted to 2-way Cornscala's.  I kept the Cornwall cabinets and the K-33-E woofers. The HF section consists of a K510 horn mated to a Faital Pro HF200. The crossover is currently a passive CS500 from Crites.

Make no mistake about it, I really LOVE my Cornwall 2's.  

But the seamless response from 500Hz to the limit of my hearing coupled with the definition and sound stage the larger horn provides is a game changer. 

I never fully appreciated that "we live in the midrange" until I brought a pair of Forte ii's home.

The 2-way Cornscala takes it to the next level.

• Like 1

An applied guess would be that each set of binding posts goes in order to the drivers.

From bottom to top: woofer, squaker, tweeter.

Your speakers are easily tri-ampable, bi-ampable if you chose not to use a jumper through all of the posts.

When you get it figured out please tell us your impressions of them!

14 hours ago, geoff. said:

An applied guess would be that each set of binding posts goes in order to the drivers.

From bottom to top: woofer, squaker, tweeter.

Your speakers are easily tri-ampable, bi-ampable if you chose not to use a jumper through all of the posts.

When you get it figured out please tell us your impressions of them!

I think I need to pop-out the woofer?  re-label the back plate posts...

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 4:15 PM, geoff. said:

Ha! You're the one who got 'em!

1000 bucks (CDN) on Canuckaudiomart?

Nice score man!

Bob Crites could tell you for sure if you don't want to pop out the woofer.

yes I am and it was hand delivered :)....    I will try to A/B switch with my JBL 4670D (dual 15")..

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2014 at 8:54 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

...only audio systems seem to raise eyebrows with the "responsibility police"

I enjoy thinking about this topic. Imagine what a bottle of your favorite beverage costs. Now imagine what you'd be willing to pay for that same bottle if its contents never spoiled and never ran empty? And when you pass from this life, the bottle passes to future generations with no loss of its magical properties... A best-in-class set of speakers is a lot like that bottle, in my mind.  Buying them might be the the responsible thing to do.

I haven't bought a new Klipsch speaker in almost 40 years.  BUT, I know how to build them, AND I have lots of components laying around to put into what I know how to build.  Got some great deals years ago on ebay on guts removed from Klipsch speakers, all of which work fine...and my final TOTAL retirement is rearing its friendly head in the NEAR FUTURE...plus I literally have a complete cabinet shop NEW (and PAID FOR!) in crates/boxes, which I have been gathering up over the past few years...so what will I build for MYSELF first?  La Scalas...then after that in no particular order: Cornwalls....Jubes....and somewhere in that mix K-horns and MWMs (HIGHLY LIKELY EVEN a complete MCM 1900 system!!).  As for the materials needed to build them, I have those too!  Remember a company called "Payless/Cashways"?  They went out of business SEVERAL years ago and I bought up lots of materials from them as they discounted them out, to include quite a bit of Baltic birch and cabinet-grade birch plywood.

I have ensured that my total retirement will allow me enough income to pretty much do whatever I want...not anything like being rich, but "comfortable" does me just fine!  WHEN I want to do it...I want to build speakers...at my own pace...in no rush whatsoever.  And I will show the forum what I build...gonna be some surprises, for sure! 

• Like 1