HD Audio...anybody listening?

consistent

Yikes. Random shuffle on my system might yield the 3rd movement of Beethoven's 3rd, Talking Heads, a pipa piece, bagpipes, a Scarlatti sonata. Pink Floyd.
Indeed. Even I couldn't handle that kind of mix. But hey that is what smart playlists are for. Pick a genre, focusing on 3 star or higher rated songs that haven't been played in say a week or so. It does require some rating time but I find myself listening to things I forgot about or hadn't listened to in some time.

Just so we're clear, the 44.1 is 44,100 and so on. That's the sample rate. The bit depth, should increase the dynamic range if recording and mastered properly.

That is one BIG IF. Cd quality is capable of 96dB dynamic range. How much gets used by today's engineers? maybe 30 if you're fortunate.

If you have not downloaded from this site http://archive.org/search.php?query=%28format%3A%2824Bit%20FLAC%29%20OR%20%28flac24%29%20OR%20%2824-bit%29%20OR%2024bit%29%20AND%20collection%3Aetree have a go it's FREE!! There are some shockers in here but every now and again a gem appears and you can get 96/24

Cheers

Have you guys heard of HDCD format? All Grateful Dead releases are recorded this way and you need a player that decodes the extra bits to actually hear the HDCD enhancements. I don't beleive this format takes up any extra space and I beleive it is still 16/44........if played on non-HDCD equipment, and 20/44 if played on it. I could be wrong.

I have a ton of these CDs..........but never had a player that could decode it. I think Windows Media Player (a particular version that I forgot) decodes it. So do some CDPs like McIntosh MVP-871.

This may be different than what you guys have been talking about.

For me, the sound quaility is most influenced by the recording quaility, not whether it is 16 or 24 bit, or 44 or 96 Khz. The lower resolution can sound better if the original recording is a "good one" vs. a bad one with high res. I think we are saying the same thing.

I also agree with a music server it is hard not to "click around" from track to track. Impossible to listen to a whole album.

• Like 1

For me, the sound quaility is most influenced by the recording quaility, not whether it is 16 or 24 bit, or 44 or 96 Khz.
I agree. Case in point - Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die" Found a high def download and was excited because I love that album and it still sounds horrible. But I enjoy it anyway. :wub:
Impossible to listen to a whole album.
There is a distance from my listening chair to the keyboard and that helps. I have to be motivated to change.

For me, the sound quaility is most influenced by the recording quaility, not whether it is 16 or 24 bit, or 44 or 96 Khz. The lower resolution can sound better if the original recording is a "good one" vs. a bad one with high res. I think we are saying the same thing.

Bingo. I recall how GOOD everything sounded on the vacuum tube AM radio with an 8 inch speaker in my 1953 Chevy. Warm, mellow, musical..

It's why so many detest horns...MERCILESSLY transparent. Makes the worst of bad recordings.

It's also why so many are good with mp3 of pop music. The majority of it has no dynamic range and is overproduced to the point of causing ones teeth to grind heard on K'horns through a good system.

Lord knows how many threads I've killed by saying "It's all about the source material. You can't fix crap."

Dave

Edited by Mallette

For me, the sound quaility is most influenced by the recording quaility, not whether it is 16 or 24 bit, or 44 or 96 Khz. The lower resolution can sound better if the original recording is a "good one" vs. a bad one with high res.

Truth spoken there^

I've a got a bunch. At this point my 'download or not download discriminator' is when a recording is DDD* or DAD* I download, because I can find an AAA*, AAD*, Or ADD* versions of my music in physical format and rip, or record at whatever resolution/format, to add to my digital library.

I also find that Mastered for iTunes to be great recordings given the limitations of file size.**. Play the CD, HD and Mastered for iTunes version of the same song on your computer. Make a playlist that has 2-3 copies of each format. Hit shuffle and then see if you and your friends and family can tell the difference, or even format. Then view your playlist by last played and see what everyone picked.

At any rate I am having fun and hope to see more.

*(See SPARS CODE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARS_code)

** (http://www.apple.com/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/)

Well my new Benchmark DAC2 toy has LEDs that show all the digital information on each recording. So you can see what you are hearing. 16/44 can be excellent if the recording is good. Heck this is what CDs have been for years. I have seen the 24/96 and 24/192 indicators on occasion and it has been nothing to get excited about.

I agree..........you can't fix crap.

"It's all about the source material. You can't fix crap."

stolen.

Crikey, Thaddeus. Too bloody right... I apparently picked up the last line subconsciously. I've been saying the first part since well before you came on board, but usually ended it with "GIGO." Not sure what happened this time. No theft intended... The "embarrassed" emoticon has disappeared from our library or I'd be using it now.

Sincere apologies,

Dave

"It's all about the source material. You can't fix crap."

stolen.

Crikey, Thaddeus. Too bloody right... I apparently picked up the last line subconsciously. I've been saying the first part since well before you came on board, but usually ended it with "GIGO." Not sure what happened this time. No theft intended... The "embarrassed" emoticon has disappeared from our library or I'd be using it now.

Sincere apologies,

Dave

no no no no no no no no... i was informing YOU that I was stealing that quote and putting it in my signature. Sorry for the confusion. Clash of the generational colloquialisms.

no no no no no no no no... i was informing YOU that I was stealing that quote and putting it in my signature. Sorry for the confusion. Clash of the generational colloquialisms.

Oh...never mind. Well, let no one say I am not quick to fall on my own sword. However, I shall ask for another's opinion before doing so next time. :lol:

Dave

• Like 1

For the me the difference is clarity, better positioning of instruments/voices, hearing more of them and the tone/timbre/decay and the dynamic range which is the most surprising. I have normal CD tracks played on some very expensive kit but when I play the same track off a file from my laptop (recorded in 96/24 from original tape) the difference means that I just don't play the CD anymore! I have downloaded some live recordings, some very average and others fantastic, feels as though you are in the room with the crowd! Just can't get that from a CD. I am told that purchasing a dedicated media player (beefed up computer) takes it to another level but really how good can it get? I am impressed already.

Well Engineered CD's are just fine and MP3 files with 320 VBR are indistinguishable. The biggest problem is Dynamic Range Compression on Pop recordings where the producer says to the Engineer: "Make Everything louder than Everything else." It all goes in the toilet from there.