Any opinion on the KLF-30?

Matthews

Hello Forum, it has been a while :) I need your HELP. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a pair KLF-30's. Currently running a pair of RF-7's as well as Forte II. Ever since I picked up the Forte and replacing the woofers with Crites upgrades I have fell in love with these and the 7's are collecting dust.

I am selling both the 7's and the Forte with the original intention of picking up a pair of La Scala. That has not come to pass however. So in my quest I came across a pair of KLF-30's in very good condition. The seller is asking $900 O.B.O. so there may be some negotiation room. A minor 2 1/2 hour drive one way as well.

I have always loved the KLF-30 just for its sheer presence. Klipsch 12" x2 plus a horn, YAY!!!

I love the sound of the Forte II, in my opinion they blow the 7's away. I have never heard the KLF-30 however and am seeking YOUR knowledge and experience. I am strictly 2.1 channel rock/funk/pop music.

Can you all please weigh in? Will the KLF last? Do they have the warm Forte like sound? Would you want a pair in your cave? (side note, will be saving a ton of $$$ if I go with KLF)

Thank you for your time :)

Matt

• Like 1

The 30's are great... really they are. Wonderful for rock etc. But they are not the heritage sound.

If you are comparing the two, I would say they are closer to the 7's than the fortes...except three way, which helps.

Fyi... I think 900 is asking a bit much imho.

• Like 2

Keep in mind I have 2 MULTI Channel Systems, going on 4; using La Scalas for 2 channel in a MULTI Chanel system.

You should hold out for the La Scalas; have seen a mint pair go for $600 around here in the last year & a pair of rough finished ones go for $400.

Keep looking & use the Forte or RF7 until.

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

With my gear and rooms here, I found the KLF-30 to be more in-your-face and bright compared to the Forte II and Chorus II. If you think the Forte II blows away the RF-7, you should find a pair of Chorus IIs. For me those are the best for two channel....really bring me into the music. Should say I haven't owned La Scalas.

• Like 2

Thank you all for chiming in and helping with my dilemma. So I believe the best for me will be to hang on to the Forte II's (paid for). Sell the 7's and the mongo amp I power them with. Take that money and create a La Scala fund. The right pair WILL come along. The warm sound from the Heritage series has grown on me and I think there may be some disappointment in the KLF (you helped same me money).

Thanks again, this Forum ROCKS :)

• Like 1

Thank you all for chiming in and helping with my dilemma. So I believe the best for me will be to hang on to the Forte II's (paid for). Sell the 7's and the mongo amp I power them with. Take that money and create a La Scala fund. The right pair WILL come along. The warm sound from the Heritage series has grown on me and I think there may be some disappointment in the KLF (you helped same me money).

Thanks again, this Forum ROCKS :)

You know that there is a mod for the RF7s that take away some of the brightness, right?

Dean G does the mod.

• Like 2

Keep in mind I have 2 MULTI Channel Systems, going on 4; using La Scalas for 2 channel in a MULTI Chanel system.

You should hold out for the La Scalas; have seen a mint pair go for $600 around here in the last year & a pair of rough finished ones go for $400.

Keep looking & use the Forte or RF7 until.

Mint condition la scalas for 600... I think if this was the case, we'd all be rocking la scalas on an ongoing basis. $600 seem way to hopeful even if you did happen to see a pair sell for that recently. OP, for mint LS you are probably looking between 1200-1400, MAYBE a pair might sell for 900-1000 if the seller is very desperate.

• Like 1

The KLFs will stand their own against any RFs available. You will have much better midrange vs RM and as seti said, I would take them over earlier Cornwalls or Cornwall IIs. I am not sure I would take them over a set of brand new cornwall IIIs since I haven't heard them but KLF-30 is a real sleeper in good room.

I had them along side of a set of pristine La Scalas, the La Scalas left the house and the KLFs stayed.

If you like bass, KLF over La Scala unless you have a really good sub to mate with them.

If you like open midrange with better bass, KLF over RF. If you don't mind the sound of 2 way and prefer more laid back mids, go for the RF.

I have done the journey many times, Forte, Cornwall, La Scalas, K-horns (multiple), little RFs, never much liked the RF 7. You will need a big room for the KLF-30s though, or look elsewhere. My personal opinion.

That said, the KLFs should not be going for over 650-700 pristine.

EDIT:

Forgot to say, if you don't really have really good amplification, the KLF will drop down the list. The KLF will be closer than you think to the heritage sound other than Forte's sit on the floor low, KLFs are high and pointing at you. Hence the need for a larger and better treated room and you will be rewarded.

Edited by pzannucci
  • Like 1

Schu, IF? I posted them in alerts & a brother here bought them, as were the $400 pair.

Not saying that is market price; traded an M1 Garand for mine; seller paid $800 for them.

True, if you can get a set of La Scalas in good condition for under $700-$800, jump on them. If you don't like them you typically won't loose any money reselling.

• Like 1