CRAIGSLIST FINDS- What did you get?

Woofers and Tweeters

I will cough up $1200 for them if you can deliver them. I will meet you at the house of OPUS for a listening session, if you dont mind the company. Do you accept PayPal?

Mark

If I did, we'd have to find 2 more corners in his place so that we could A/B them with his Khorns. And since it's his neighbors, who cares - right?  :lol:

May I introduce to you the latest Khorn Club member....drum roll please..... Introducing Me.  :D That's right, I scored a pair of Khorns today from a pawn shop, right here in this little town where I live.

Okay, the story:

I received a text that simply said "check out quickly" with a link attached. The text came from opusk2k9. I know that most on here think that member is a machine or a computer program. Well, he's not. I met him at his house last winter. He has all that's in his avatar and more, is knowledgeable and a real great guy. Any how, the speakers were originally bought with settlement money. The woman burned through $2 million in 2 years. She bought these in 1990 for her son...wait for it...he was 14 years old. They are consecutive serial numbered OO.. Yes, you know what Oak Oiled are supposed to look like, these have been painted black  :angry:  Still a great score.

I big shout out, again, to Brandon for hooking me up.  

Anyone know how to remove paint from furniture without hurting the original finish?  :(   

Congrats on the khorns.  As far as the finish, a couple years ago I picked up a pair of Forte II oo that the po had painted black to match his other speakers.  I used Citristrip, worked like a charm.  Paint it on, let it sit for 20 min. or so and scrape off the black with a plastic spatula or something similar.   It may take 2-3 applications to get all the black off,  No damage whatsoever to the original finish.  It does lift a little of the oil out of the veneer as one would expect.  Fresh coat of Watco restores that.  Only odor is a bit of a citrus scent, not at all objectionable.  You can use this indoors without issue.   Last spring I traded into a pair of Belles.  The po had put a nice heavy coat of clear polyurethane over the oo.   While they did a nice job with the poly, they did not remove the water marks before--not acceptable.  Used the Citristrip again with the same results.   No damage to the veneer--all the poly is gone.

Anyone know how to remove paint from furniture without hurting the original finish?

Congrats the on the score.  Black paint on oak? What the?

Howz about 'Strypeeze'  to remove the paint but then you will have to refinish the oil finish. But after the labor (and mess) to remove the paint the re oiling will be a breeze. And you'll have beautiful Oiled Oak KHorns.

Thank you both for the information. I will do something to them when I get caught up.

• 1 month later...

I had a great day Saturday.  It was a beautiful day to drive (7h round trip). 

I found some great classic rock radio stations along the way to bring these home.

They are walnut lacquer and he started refinishing one, but didn't finish.
They are not consecutive, actually one is 1981 and the other 1983, but
both with AB crossovers.

The guy was great.  He said he had MANY emails, but that I was the first to respond, so they were mine.

He didn't raise the price, he held onto them until I got there, and helped me load them.

I listened to them briefly before I loaded them, but I was going to buy them either way. 

All the components tested out well last night. 

Now I need to safely get them into the basement to enjoy them.

More photos here:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/gallery/album/211-belles/

post-51180-0-56680000-1428948753_thumb.j

• Like 4

I found some great classic rock radio stations along the way to bring these home.

both with AB crossovers.

The guy was great.  He said he had MANY emails, but that I was the first to respond, so they were mine.

He didn't raise the price, he held onto them until I got there, and helped me load them.

I listened to them briefly before I loaded them, but I was going to buy them either way. 

More photos here:

were these the 200$ belles everybody was talking about - congratulations , the seller must have been a very kind person

were these the 200$ belles everybody was talking about - congratulations , the seller must have been a very kind person

They were the $200 ones.  His dad bought them, they were in his room growing up.  He bought them from his father. 

He was a great guy to deal with.  I was very excited to get them and I plan on keep them for a long time.

Opus, is this your best CL find ever?  A hundred bucks each for a pair of Belle's?  B)

Definitely up there:

Top 5:

$200 walnut belles

$75 rough La Scalas

$100 oak KLF-30

$150 walnut forte with Yamaha MX-1000 amp and CX-600 preamp

$22 JLB L65 speakers (needed woofers fixed)

post-45111-0-59320000-1429069110_thumb.jpost-45111-0-43160000-1429069133_thumb.jas I've said in a couple of other threads, a man was moving in D.C. and had to unload his chorus II's before he could move.....FOR FREE!

called him right away and he said come and get them, even though he was offered cash, he said I was the first to respond, so they are mine!

took out my passenger front seat, and my back seat, and they fit ok! I also took along some beer to give him....my dad always told me "never go to anyone's houses empty handed!"

they did require some work....one woofer was bad, replaced both, the cabinet needed some filling sanding and painting, bob upgraded the x/overs, and I installed 15" grilles on the passive subs for protection.

got 'em hooked up in my LR powered by a pr of Marantz ma500 amps, and a 600 pre amp. sound and look great!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifchorusvwcc 002.JPGattachicon.gifchorusvwcc 001.JPGas I've said in a couple of other threads, a man was moving in D.C. and had to unload his chorus II's before he could move.....FOR FREE!

called him right away and he said come and get them, even though he was offered cash, he said I was the first to respond, so they are mine!

took out my passenger front seat, and my back seat, and they fit ok! I also took along some beer to give him....my dad always told me "never go to anyone's houses empty handed!"

they did require some work....one woofer was bad, replaced both, the cabinet needed some filling sanding and painting, bob upgraded the x/overs, and I installed 15" grilles on the passive subs for protection.

got 'em hooked up in my LR powered by a pr of Marantz ma500 amps, and a 600 pre amp. sound and look great!

fantastic - super cool

both with AB crossovers.

More photos here:

thanks for the pictures - a slight sanding - and refinish - and they will look as good as new - the cabinets are other wise in great shape - with logos and grilles - wow - super karma -

Great CL weekend. Scored an mint pair of RB-5's for $110. I will be using them as the new surrounds. I will probably sell my old RB-5's since they are a little scratched up.

I also snagged a RSW-15 for $300

post-47735-0-49320000-1429460883_thumb.j

post-47735-0-69840000-1429460901_thumb.j

post-47735-0-53400000-1429460916_thumb.j

Edited by K5SS

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely up there: Top 5: $200 walnut belles $75 rough La Scalas $100 oak KLF-30 $150 walnut forte with Yamaha MX-1000 amp and CX-600 preamp $22 JLB L65 speakers (needed woofers fixed)

Opus, you are like Scrappydue in the fact that you will have personally owned or are getting to every Heritage style speaker.  I think he has went thru all the modern Reference line.

FYI. The Chorus II are up for sale already for $650:

Well, what can you say?  The guy probably loved those speakers for the several hours he owned them, and he probably hates to part with them. 

I'm sure they're worth $650 to that Klipsch lover, I can understand why he doesn't want to come down on the price.  :rolleyes:

I have a set of Klipsch Chorus II floor standing speakers for sale. These are of black finish. The bottom of one has a warp in the front from moisture. Please see photo fr details. The base of this speakers can be flipped around so this area was in the back out of sight. They have a little wear to the top as you can also see in the photos. The sides look nice. My price is firm and fair with the discrepancies. These were $1800 speakers originally. If you know the Klipsch name...you know they are a quality speaker. These are HUGE/HEAVY speakers (15" Subs) ...so bring large vehicle. Speakers are located in Norton Shores (Muskegon) MI. Text or email only as I work a lot of hours and it is easier to get back to you at my convenience. Thanks for looking.

Well, at least he's honest:  "...speakers can be flipped..."  :lol: