I can't make up my mind

derrickdj1

I don't use my two channel system nearly as much as I do the solid state system. Today I was listening to it and after about 20 minutes the music started to really draw me into it. It may have something to do with the tubes warming up or the 2 channel system is a 4 way system compared to the SS which is a 2 way system using subs.

Don't get me wrong I like the SS system and the bass form the big subwoofers. I guess I need to do some more listening to try an put my finger on the difference. The one thing that is apparent is the bass from the two systems. Not more, since the Mc speakers have 12 in. woofer and 8 in. mid bass driver, but the Mc speakers are heavily damped and have an orchestral hall quality. The RF 7 system has a more defined bass quality.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

there are theories i have read about tubes and actually may be true stating the life of vacuum tubes and their timeline with quality of sound. for example if the tube has 1000 hours of life in it the 400-600 hour range can result in better tone than that in the first several hundred after break in and there after the 600 mark.

I have to say at the 20minute mark of warming the tubes up i also notice a sweet spot when sound becomes very detailed and open. im about 4 years into this tube thing here and seems to be similar in the use of about 15 different tube amps iv owned. hope im on track with your statement

These were fairly new tubes when I got the amp around 8 months ago. They remind me of my Yamaha M 80 switched into class A. After a period of time you start to get into the music a little more. I definetly should be using the 2 ch. system more often. It is amazing how nice the Mc speakers sound. They were made in 1976.

Edited by derrickdj1

I noticed when you switched to the mcintosh xr5 in your 2ch and thought it was interesting. xr5's are sweet 4 ways. In time those 8month old tubes will get better than aged wine. Other than running tubes on somthing with a 15" driver i cant think of nothing better to burn them with some mc xr5's. And with you running a solid state powered bassdriver with it your efffin rocking. All systems are different and i believe you got your 2ch nailed. I run rap/r&b and play movies on my theater and rock everything else out on my tubes

I don't use my two channel system nearly as much as I do the solid state system. Today I was listening to it and after about 20 minutes the music started to really draw me into it. It may have something to do with the tubes warming up or the 2 channel system is a 4 way system compared to the SS which is a 2 way system using subs.

Don't get me wrong I like the SS system and the bass form the big subwoofers. I guess I need to do some more listening to try an put my finger on the difference. The one thing that is apparent is the bass from the two systems. Not more, since the Mc speakers have 12 in. woofer and 8 in. mid bass driver, but the Mc speakers are heavily damped and have an orchestral hall quality. The RF 7 system has a more defined bass quality.

I see your running a Yaqin, aint nothing better than tube period. iv been running imports for 10+ years.

I looked at the Music Angel amps. They really look nice and impart a classy look to the system. It was not hard to get some extra tube. The Yaqin has been very solid since I have had. I have no complaints about the amps quality. I underestimated the Mc's imaging ability. I moved them from around 7 ft. apart to 12 ft and the sound stage is very sweet.

Edited by derrickdj1

run rap/r&b and play movies on my theater and rock everything else out on my tubes

I find jazz, and classical better on the two channel setup and heavy bass music on the HT.

yes i agree. i have about 1500 cds which range from gospel to rap and everything is listened to on tubes xept rap mainly to use bassdrivers. my fiance runs all powered monitors right now and she listens to all her music on some audio technica cans lol

• Like 3