I have two Klipsch Quartets. what's a good receiver?

golfdawg11

I have two Klipsch Quartets, purchased in 1991, that I was going to sell, but, in another forum on here, I was told they could be great for a home entertainment center paired with a center speaker (Academy recommended for center speaker) and a good receiver.

The room I have the TV (a 60" Samsung Smart TV) is 12 feet wide 8 foot ceilings, and I'll be sitting about 11 feet away )the room is 15 feet deep).

The Academy was recommended as a companion center piece for the Quartets, but is there another Klipsch center speaker option? Academys are few and far between online, and some of the are in pretty bad shape.

The point of selling the Quartets in the first place was to use the money to buy a home entertainment center, but it seems like I won't get enough from selling them to get a really good system., so adding a center speaker and a good receiver and use the system for TV *and* music. Any help or input anyone can give would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Academies come and go in cycles. If you can get more quartets and use one for a center that would be best. You will not do as well selling quartets for something different than you will augmenting what you have. The other advice is give up golf before you end up in hell. God hates golf. He told me himself.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Set up the Quartets like THIS and you may decide to forego a center channel completely.

With a room 12' wide I like that Idea, it puts more sound in the Quartets than using a center which if not a good match or equal it's like going backwards.

As far as what receiver it would depend on what your looking to connect. If your not going to use rear speakers you could go with a stereo receiver that has connections for what you want.

I would be sure to get something with a sub output, to me a sub would make a bigger improvement than a center channel.

Nah, timbre matching is the most important for centers and surround sound, it's an academy or another quartet for you, unless you change speakers completely.

Set up the Quartets like THIS and you may decide to forego a center channel completely.

I have read where the KLF-C7 Is better than an Academy and will timber match well with the Heritage line of speakers. Bill

With a room 12' wide I like that Idea, it puts more sound in the Quartets than using a center which if not a good match or equal it's like going backwards.

As far as what receiver it would depend on what your looking to connect. If your not going to use rear speakers you could go with a stereo receiver that has connections for what you want.

I would be sure to get something with a sub output, to me a sub would make a bigger improvement than a center channel.

I understand based on being a good match , the Academy is probably the best idea. Does anyone else think the KLF-C7 would be a good match? Agree or disagree? I've always wondered about turning the speakers like that. I can't say I understand everything written in the article that was attached, but I do understand the concept and that it would work pretty well in a room that's only 12 feet wide like I have. And, no, I don't plan on putting up rear speakers. I'm thinking a stereo receiver that has a sub connection just in case I want to add that.

Also, in the article, it said having the speakers at ear level is important, and as I'm sure you guys know, they Quartets aren't , so I need to find some stand. Is there any need to find Klipsch stands or anything specific about stands I need to know?

I appreciate all the input!

I understand based on being a good match , the Academy is probably the best idea. Does anyone else think the KLF-C7 would be a good match? Agree or disagree? I've always wondered about turning the speakers like that.

The phantom center image produced by your Quartets will be a perfect timber match; an Academy or C7 may or may not be, and have you going backwards as dtel said. The heavy toe in will help stabilize the phantom center image over a larger listening area while reducing the influence of the room a bit.

Also, in the article, it said having the speakers at ear level is important, and as I'm sure you guys know, they Quartets aren't , so I need to find some stand. Is there any need to find Klipsch stands or anything specific about stands I need to know?

These guys make steel stands for affordable prices (no affiliation):

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/#!products-&-pricing

Edited by Ski Bum

I think I'm going to try the Phantom center sound created by turning the Quartets first and see what kind of sound I get out of that. Find a receiver with inputs with the possibility of adding a center speaker or sub, and go from there. I do want to add some speaker stands too, which I'll look for.

Still, any favorite receivers that anyone would recommend? I have read about Harman Kardon and Denon a lot, but I'm no expert. And how many watts should I have as a minimum. I assume there is no maximum :)

• Moderators
I have read about Harman Kardon and Denon a lot

To me I would want something that would sound musical, the HK is always complemented by owners on this, to me not so much Denon but that's just my opinion.

Any of the receivers would have enough power for normal listening volumes which can be loud at times, I would go with whatever one has the price and features your comfortable with. With receivers it seems like after a certain point your just paying for more power and just a small increase in features.