Appropriate amplifier for Klipschorn

I run a Marantz PM11S2 integrated amp with My Khorns and its a great match. This amp has a natural balance thats maybe slightly towards warm sounding with excellent bass control. It is dead quiet and bulit like a tank. There are some good deals on these out there.

• Like 2

Marantz is really good.

Has anyone compared different tubes with Khorns? I wonder which one is better, given that Khorns need some power..

2A3? 300B? 211? 845? KT120? a different one??

Although I agree Khorns sound better if a passage that is meant to be centered at 100 dB SPL is actually played back at 100 dB SPL (2 watts in a 3,000 cu ft room), an intended 110 dB sounds best at 110 dB (20 watts, same room), Khorns "need" less power than almost any other loudspeaker one is likely to find in a home. :)

The above figures are taken from the Klipsch amp power page by Don Keel, Jr. the Dope from Hope Vol 16, No 1, January 1977

Look,,,,, Ive been listening to my Klipshorns for over 40 years,,,,It really doesn't matter what amps you use,,,Tube or Solidstate...Just pick your sound flavor,,And don't obsess over it....Its the music,,,not the gear you should be listening to,,,

• Like 5

You will have the woulda, shoulda, coulda forever when it comes to amps. IMO, if you want to put an end to it, buy a Mac mc275 or a SS Mac amp and call it a day. You never go wrong buying McIntosh and you can always get your money back if you decide to sell. If you want a budget setup and aren't head over heals for tubes, look at the DIY Class A kits.

• Like 1

You will have the woulda, shoulda, coulda forever when it comes to amps. IMO, if you want to put an end to it, buy a Mac mc275 or a SS Mac amp and call it a day. You never go wrong buying McIntosh and you can always get your money back if you decide to sell. If you want a budget setup and aren't head over heals for tubes, look at the DIY Class A kits.

New or vintage?

New or vintage?

I would have to buy used for any of the Mac offerings for the sake of cost. This would definitely put me in a old mc275. As far as the used Mac SS amps go, that would be a tough choice and I honestly don't know which older two channels are a favorite in the cost effective point of view. I would likely just buy a used mc 7205 or 7206 and use it for 2 channel as well as theater use even though the sound may be a tad under some of the old school amps.

New or vintage?

I would have to buy used for any of the Mac offerings for the sake of cost. This would definitely put me in a old mc275. As far as the used Mac SS amps go, that would be a tough choice and I honestly don't know which older two channels are a favorite in the cost effective point of view. I would likely just buy a used mc 7205 or 7206 and use it for 2 channel as well as theater use even though the sound may be a tad under some of the old school amps.

The old (tube) MC275 was a wonderous amp! I did not get to hear their revamped one of a few years ago.

Too many suggestions. Let's start over.

You said "new" Klipschorns. Are they really new, or used and just new to you?

Your amp is great. That would be the last thing I would change.

I don't recall any questions or suggestions about crossovers. Let's save that for now - but a factor that shouldn't be ignored, especially if these Klipschorns are 30 - 40 years old.

I prefer tubes with horns,

Me too. I think tubes get a little closer to the ultimate intimacy and highest quality of the musical sound. Good SS is very imposing, however. I like tube pres and amplifiers both.

Locally to here, Garymd's fabled system is transitioning from a Blueberry (tube) pre to Craig's NBS, and his tube amp is a pair of Craig's VRD's. He plays only vinyl and it has to be heard to be believed. There are other fine examples, but his is a very good one.

Larry, is Gary still using the same crossover?

Hi! Sorry for the late response, I was not at home during the last 4 days..

My Khorns are new, not used and just new for me..

Accuphase is really a good amplifier, but some times the sound is too bright,

or there are harshness problems..

The last one is probably not a problem of the amplifier, but a problem of the Khorns.

People say that the tweeter, drivers, and crossovers of Khorns are not of great quality..

Others say that Khorns play their best with tube amplifiers, and specially with SET.

That's why I am asking what tubes are good.

The small 2A3 or 300B, or the bigger 211 or 824. Perhaps KT120 as well.

Mac could be good as well, the MC275.. Never had the chance to listen to this amp..

... harshness problems.. The last one is probably not a problem of the amplifier, but a problem of the Khorns. People say that the tweeter, drivers, and crossovers of Khorns are not of great quality..

I know people say that, and it is partly true. BUT, IMO, Khorns sound fine with many (good) recordings. With Audyssey and a little bass boost from "real" tone controls they sound even better (not using graphic virtual sliders on Audyssey equipped preamps and AVRs, since manipulating them will turn Audyssey off).

I have not heard the clean, dynamic impact of Khorns on the part of another speaker. I'm sure Jubs do it, but I haven't heard them. La Scalas and Belles do it, but with less bass extension.

If tubes, or Audyssey, or Lp records help you achieve your goals, more power to you.

• 9 months later...

Passive dual amplifiers!

Tubes on top. Solid-state on bottom. I matched tube amplifiers with a 40-pound, Class A, solid-state amplifier rated at ten times more power. I use the delicious sounding tubes on the mid and high horns, with the cement amplifier on the bass bins. Maximum power at clipping on the Bottlehead Paramours is 6-watts. Clipping on the Pioneer M022 is 60-watts. I think this power ratio is important to balance loads in a passive dual amplifier configuration. Otherwise you get some nasty balancing issues, which are best resolved by an active crossover. Using active 3-way stereo crossovers however, is more expensive and tricky to get just right.

Passive amplification with dual amplifiers sounds better for me, since the bass bins are driven by my massive Class A amplifier with excellent impedance control. Yet, I am NOT getting the full benefits of dividing the signal ahead of the amplifiers. It is more like driving my big ole horns with a sweet and powerful sounding 200-watt amplifier – at a quarter of the price.

• Like 1

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1212/garber_fi_x4.htm

For the golden elixir of musical nuances, for the roaring majesty of mountainous crescendos, for the exotic delicacy of female vocals, nothing comes as close to the joy and feeling of reality as the magical coupling of low-powered Single Ended Triode (SET) amplifiers and ultra-high efficiency horn loudspeakers. Horns love tubes! The combination is the pie and ice cream of practical audio nirvana.

• Like 1