DIY THSPUD clone

The Dude

On 1/25/2020 at 8:58 AM, Lbk said:

Are these tapped horns good for music? (Musical) Any idea how they would match up to a revel b15. Thanks 

Nothing like asking a question about a JBL financed Direct Radiator Subwoofer on a Klipsch Brand forum to get an answer. Much like Ford F-150 owners want to go to a General Motors forum to ask about their Chevrolet Silverado. Is desperation part of this equation? IOW, no one on the JBL or Revel forums to ask?

That being said, Tapped Horns, in general, will go lower in a smaller box than a full horn.........BUT, when firing into a corner, there will be very little gain in the low frequency extension, which happens with a full horn, like a THT, THTLP, F-20, etc. but it will give you higher SPL capability within that narrow band on a Tapped Horn. Tapped horns are also band limited to about 2 octaves, and my experience with all of them except the OThorn, is that they should cross from 40-60 Hz on down.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:27 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Nothing like asking a question about a JBL financed Direct Radiator Subwoofer on a Klipsch Brand forum to get an answer. Much like Ford F-150 owners want to go to a General Motors forum to ask about their Chevrolet Silverado. Is desperation part of this equation? IOW, no one on the JBL or Revel forums to ask?

That being said, Tapped Horns, in general, will go lower in a smaller box than a full horn.........BUT, when firing into a corner, there will be very little gain in the low frequency extension, which happens with a full horn, like a THT, THTLP, F-20, etc. but it will give you higher SPL capability within that narrow band. Tapped horns are also band limited to about 2 octaves, and my experience with all of them except the OThorn, is that they should cross from 40-60 Hz on down.

Sorry was just looking for real world experience on how the 2 compare. My sub is giving me trouble and may need to be replaced. Seems most people use these for HT and not music.

Edited by Lbk

2 hours ago, Lbk said:

Sorry was just looking for real world experience on how the 2 compare. My sub is giving me trouble and may need to be replaced. Seems most people use these for HT and not music.

Well, now knowing about YOUR current woofer situation, specifically, in your original post, what else could I do?

The tapped horns fare better for movies, unless you build or buy an OThorn. Otherwise, go for the F20, THT, or THTLP, which are more "musical" as you put it (not my favorite term).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lbk said:

There is no comparison, even the smaller Table Tuba with an 8" driver would be a substantial upgrade.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Well, now knowing about YOUR current woofer situation, specifically, in your original post, what else could I do?

The tapped horns fare better for movies, unless you build or buy an OThorn. Otherwise, go for the F20, THT, or THTLP, which are more "musical" as you put it (not my favorite term).

No problem claude I understand. My room is 11 by 17 so I could fit 2 of the  dts 10's across the front with 6 inches on each side. Mains L/R/C would be in front of the subs or if the f20 is superior one coffee table in front sofa.  

Just did some quick research and now have a direction, I am thing 1 or 2 f 20's might work. That OThorn is a beast, nice.  

Thanks for the help,  might have to start a new after some more research.

Edited by Lbk

1 hour ago, Lbk said:

No problem claude I understand. My room is 11 by 17 so I could fit 2 of the  dts 10's across the front with 6 inches on each side. Mains L/R/C would be in front of the subs or if the f20 is superior one coffee table in front sofa.  

Just did some quick research and now have a direction, I am thing 1 or 2 f 20's might work. That OThorn is a beast, nice.  

Thanks for the help,  might have to start a new after some more research.

Owned them all, except the F20. Had twin DTS-10's, Serial #0001 of DTS-20, 3 TH-50's (down to 1 currently but will have 2 soon),  had a THT, 2 THTLP's, and currently still have an OThorn which will go in the basement when I get the second TH-50 in play. I'm also building my Super Tapped horn with twin monster TC Sounds 12" drivers, which is a slim/refolded version of the Gjallarhorn (it will technically be like 2 DTS-10's in one box against the rear wall). "Musicality" does not come from Subwoofers, those are meant to ad FEEL to the bass. The bass you describe happens above 80 Hz.

On 1/26/2020 at 9:25 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

Owned them all, except the F20. Had twin DTS-10's, Serial #0001 of DTS-20, 3 TH-50's (down to 1 currently but will have 2 soon),  had a THT, 2 THTLP's, and currently still have an OThorn which will go in the basement when I get the second TH-50 in play. I'm also building my Super Tapped horn with twin monster TC Sounds 12" drivers, which is a slim/refolded version of the Gjallarhorn (it will technically be like 2 DTS-10's in one box against the rear wall). Musicality does not come from Subwoofers, those are meant to ad FEEL to the bass. The bass you describe happens above 

My concern was to not build a one note wonder which it seems the tapped horns are not.

So are you saying since th's are crossed at 60 hz and below (unlike my now main sub at 80) the musicality should come from the mains and not the sub? I  definitely hear a tonality change in my present sub. Not trying to argue just still very new at this and trying to learn.  

Got  curious and checked the setting on my sub. I was wrong it was at a100hz. I am going have to do some experimenting.

Edited by Lbk

11 hours ago, Lbk said:

My concern was to not build a one note wonder which it seems the tapped horns are not.

So are you saying since th's are crossed at 60 hz and below (unlike my now main sub at 80) the musicality should come from the mains and not the sub? I  definitely hear a tonality change in my present sub. Not trying to argue just still very new at this and trying to learn.  

Got  curious and checked the setting on my sub. I was wrong it was at a100hz. I am going have to experiment with today.

I can't recall the published works that proved that 80 Hz. was where a Subwoofer was "undetectable" by anyone as far as it's room position was concerned. But my own experiments with direct radiator and horn sub woofers, tapped or full, bear this out. I prefer 60 Hz. and below, but currently I'm using 40 Hz. and below. It all depends on the rest of you system and room.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:33 AM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I can't recall the published works that proved that 80 Hz. was where a Subwoofer was "undetectable" by anyone as far as it's room position was concerned. But my own experiments with direct radiator and horn sub woofers, tapped or full, bear this out. I prefer 60 Hz. and below, but currently I'm using 40 Hz. and below. It all depends on the rest of you system and room.

Ran my sub without mains at 80hz musicality gone. I was a little surprised I thought it was coming sub and not mains.  I will say the better the sub the better the overall sound. I read about the 80hz tuning now I've proved it to myself, lesson learned. The f 20's are looking real interesting, time to do some more research. Thanks claude!

1 hour ago, Lbk said:

Ran my sub without mains at 80hz musicality gone. I was a little surprised I thought it was coming sub and not mains.  I will say the better the sub the better the overall sound. I read about the 80hz tuning now I've proved it to myself, lesson learned. The f 20's are looking real interesting, time to do some more research. Thanks claude!

If you are not friendly with lumber, sawdust, and glue, JASON from this forum is a certified builder of subwoofers from Bill Fitzmaurice, including the THT and THT LP

On 1/28/2020 at 1:10 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

If you are not friendly with lumber, sawdust, and glue, JASON from this forum is a certified builder of subwoofers from Bill Fitzmaurice, including the THT and THT 

I like wood working, I may not be the best at  it but I try hard. Working a project now that I hope to finish by the weekend. 

Didn't know that about Jason I will keep it in mind if I need his services.

Edited by Lbk

I have owned both the Table tuba Long style and Spud.  If just for music, I would go with the TTLS, no complaints this far with the SPUD this time around for either.  But I also like different music with or without subs.  It all depends on the system and use it was designed for.  I have a feeling that once I finish the other SPUD for this room, get everything tuned correctly, and room treated, I am going to be good in the sub department for this room.  

@ClaudeJ1 what were your thoughts on that Danely DTS-20?  I have seen that unit on their siteand always been curious of it. 

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

The F-20 is by far the easiest build.

One the reasons I'am looking at it, that and the dimensions should fit my room well. It will be a couple weeks before I start so I'am going to do some more research before I commit myself. This would be my first horn sub and build.

5 hours ago, Lbk said:

One the reasons I'am looking at it, that and the dimensions should fit my room well. It will be a couple weeks before I start so I'am going to do some more research before I commit myself. This would be my first horn sub and build.

I've built a few and you won't be disappointed with the performance at all, music or HT.

• Sad 1