DIY THSPUD clone

The Dude

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

I have owned both the Table tuba Long style and Spud.  If just for music, I would go with the TTLS, no complaints this far with the SPUD this time around for either.  But I also like different music with or without subs.  It all depends on the system and use it was designed for.  I have a feeling that once I finish the other SPUD for this room, get everything tuned correctly, and room treated, I am going to be good in the sub department for this room.  

@ClaudeJ1 what were your thoughts on that Danely DTS-20?  I have seen that unit on their siteand always been curious of it. 

Yeah, I owned serial number ONE. It's a great sub that gets down to 16 hz. Tall slim and heavy. The original tapped horn for home use. Hard to find used. I prefer the TH 50 because they were designed for my SH 50's. Which is the same as the company President, who I just met  a week ago.

10 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

@ClaudeJ1, wish you were closer man. You are a DANGEROUS gateway drug in the best HIGH possible 

Yes, I would say, most of the people here got the same "disease" that we have. When I met Paul Klipsch, he referred to me as his "victim" when he introduced me to Jim Hunter! LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone on here that lives in CA that builds subs and is willing to build something for me (compensated of course) ?  Long shot, I know.  Shipping would likely be a deal killer.   Also, of all the horn subs, what sub would you guys say is the best combo of musical, dimensions and total cost?  Would be nice to go to one sub to compliment my RCF HD32As that I just acquired. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, babadono said:

@Westcoastdrums I keep hoping GSG will come out with some true horn flatpacks. Or tapped horns.

Yeah. Kevin is quite busy and it would take quite awhile for him to build me something.   I am content with what I currently have, but I'm always open to other options that take up less space, cost less and or sound better.  Seems tapped horns are the go to here.   Haven't heard any of the DIY horn subs discussed here, but I have heard danley subs live several times and was damn impressed (completely overkill) 

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

If I had to skills to build me a spud, I would likely do so. Great thread. I'm sure it's a beast of a sub. 

Having built 4 spuds for friends and relatives, it's a "mini beast" compared to the others I have had. Those 8" Tang Bands are Stout little drivers, especially to a guy who uses 12's, 15's, 18's, and now 21" Sub drivers. They are still amazing for an SLIM cabinet like that. It's not that small, but it is still a BEAST of a sub.

• 8 months later...

Well its been a few months and figured it was time I built my third which will pair with the one built earlier this year (first was sold off). I will say this is the first build that I finished completely before putting in the system. Needless to say, I felt a lot more confident with this build than the rest and it shows. Currently breaking the drivers in at 60 hz 0db with about a third of gain from my MC2505 and I am more impressed than the last one, which is currently in my system (which needs some work on the access panels). But for now here are the photos.

Going to try a different way to post pictures as taptalk only allows a couple at a time.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I went back and forth on painting, either to use duratex or alike or paint. Came across a thread where someone recommended a water based acrylic. Went to Lowes and found a "cabinet grade" paint that didn't require primer and may only need one coat. Turns out to be more silver than the black I wanted and needing 3 coats, but I was happy with the out come. At $25 a quart and $58 a gallon i wish I would have purchased a gallon to allow 3 coats on both sides, but was fortunate enough to get 3 coats on the side that will show.

This time around, I actually routered the edges for the access panel and had good luck with 10-24 brass screw inserts (made a driver bit with a screw and doubled up nuts, worked great). I added some gasket material and though its sealed up better than the second one I built, I may need to add another layer or a different gasket.

Template was made by@MookieStl so a big shout out to him as this help tremendously. Also, I used hurricane nuts and actually patterned correctly for the driver to mount correctly.

But all in all I am alot happier with this build. 7d8a0d1a76bd49b8a7fb09c46aa47fdf.jpg9b698bd6203fbfc21f2b48a715eb86bb.jpg8facbe7d1118af866c390bbb31d08bad.jpgbd103f017baf33813ea23410d3480546.jpg38dcbf7325dd39ba66a83b3bbb31ff72.jpg11e0444da3e96877b46164bd6cea5059.jpgc5271adcbedbff6850c9ac5059d8fb96.jpgb92c22e585dba1c1dc5a0dc41bd62c79.jpgac72a6346ca4da1607dde896b21b879f.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/30/2020 at 1:49 PM, Westcoastdrumz said:

One day I'll see what all the fuss is about. 

I may have a flat pack and some driver for slim Gjallarhorn I call my Super Tapped Horn,  if you REALLY want to create a fuss. Twice the output of a Danley "Super Spud" (DTS-10). Guaranteed to shake your foundation and can handle 2 Kilowatts of power!

My son was helping me lower the sub to the floor (which he has done before) but for some reason forgot to hold on and dropped it. For the first time I didn't get mad and lose my cool, told him not to worry about. He left with his sister and we they came back, it was already filled and repaired. I asked him, "what dent" he was pretty impressed and quit feeling bad. A great learning experience for both of us.da52b49fcd1b02efef7e092b41c18f0b.jpg

• Like 1

So the goal now is to get the current spud pulled from location and take to the garage to make the modifications to match this one. The way I move, thats about 2 weeks worth of work. I spent the day yesterday breaking in the newest sub with some 60-40hz test tones while increasing the gain. I was pretty impressed when I hit 40 hz with roughly 3 watts and things in my garage started vibrating.