DIY THSPUD clone

The Dude

So I decided to start a actual build thread on the THSPUD clones I will be building, instead of hijacking the thread I have on plywood. Now I am going to be lazy and copy what I wrote on another thread.

First if this isnt allowed then I apologize in advance, and please delete it. If not, then enjoy. I am not affiliated with or build or work for Danley sound labs. I have been researching for a few weeks now looking at some other builds on other forums. I do not have any official plans, just the rough drawings I have found on the web. Some of this will be a shot in the dark so here goes. I will be building 2 of these for my home theater bar area, which you can follow over in the home theater construction thread.

I started last night cutting my panels for one of the subs and running the dados to help with assembly which seems to be what people are doing. A couple of tips which probably are pretty basic when using a router. But for the amateur like me I thought it would to mention. Make sure when you make your template that you use a flush cut bit to make it the same as your panels for the sub it self. That way you insure the dados are right all time. All so use a good piece of plywood for the template, I used a piece of 1" osb I had laying around. In some spots it seems to be a little thicker, so now I have to go back and redo some dados(not a big deal just more time). One last thing for now make sure to check your bit depth once in awhile, mine must have came loose some how and started to come out, good thing I caught it right away.

Well here are some pics for now, let me know if you see some issues.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...42327542898465

I do have a couple of questions if you any of you have built these. Did you round the edge on the panel were the fold is, and did you actually figure the angles on the intersection of the adjacent panels.

Thanks

I've never seen anyone round the panels. It's not necessary.

or that critical. I'm sure if you ask a 56 foot long sound wave (20 Hz.) it won't care about a 3/8 rounding bit of a dimension being off by 1/4 inch!!! lol

Well then I'm not going to worry.

Thanks

Seems like it would be easier to just lay it out on your plywood, both sides clamped together, and drill holes through both pieces.

The drivers are mounted in the opposite direction of each other but wired out of phase electrically so they're in phase mechanically.

Seems like it would be easier to just lay it out on your plywood, both sides clamped together, and drill holes through both pieces.

The drivers are mounted in the opposite direction of each other but wired out of phase electrically so they're in phase mechanically.

Polarity, polarity, polarity, not phase...............please.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Polarity, polarity, polarity, not phase...............please.

You are correct. Bad habit on my part.

Are you talking about when I go to drill my pilot holes.

Keep the pics coming! I love to see a build coming together.

I will, I will all so be putting the links to the gallery and build thread for this and my home theater/bar area in my sig. I just have to figure out how to do so, to where it says click here for build thread as opposed to the way it is now.

But are they mounted the same as far as the flange goes, if you look at some pics it looks as the one on the left is mounted to the front of the flange as opposed to the one on the right that is mounted to the rear of the flange. Maybe Dtel will chime in on this later.

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-9700-0-60580000-1390961687.jpg

• Moderators

I think that's the only way they can be mounted from the access panel. You can't get to the back side of that panel once it's built.

Your right

I think also the drivers were mounted in the center of the first panel and the second about the same space from the edge of the second panel, I don't think it's all that important. Just make sure the back of the first driver will clear the side wall, if I remember correct it was close. That was the Tang drivers from Parts express I used.

Do not do what I did, wire them wrong, I was ready to throw the whole thing away. Almost no sound until after a whole day I rechecked the wiring and found I read the drawing wrong.

post-9700-0-63540000-1391024946_thumb.jp

• Moderators

I don't know if it needs to look nice or not, mine is hidden so I glued and screwed it together.

If it's going to be hidden and doesn't matter if you see screws and your going to use them, lay out on both sheets where the inside walls go. This way when you put the top on you can see where all the inside walls land so you can put the screws from the top exactly where they should go without missing the inside walls.

I used a piece of 1" osb I had laying around.
That's the heaviest template I've ever seen but if that's what you had laying around, it looks like it worked well. I would suggest to future builders to use a 1/4 or 3/8 hardwood underlayment to save their back. :D Looking good, I had a great time building mine and it's really a simple build so you get to see results quickly. Get er done!
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I think I have the info I was looking for. I did screw up one panel when cutting. I would like to note how this happened, as hopefully it will stop someone from doing it them selves. First thing, I found that it will take a full sheet to get the 10 pieces needed to made the interior panels along with the 4 exterior panels. Lay out your panels width wise on a 4x8 sheet, you you would have 9 panels 48" long. Now after I cut my first one, it seemed so perfect I thought I would just clamp it and use a template bit or flush bit to cut each piece the same. The problem is one the clamps I used didn't hold and the good piece or top piece in this case, moved on me cause the piece I cut to be to narrow. Plus doing this I would all so waste 1/2" on each piece. So I learned to cut each piece about 1/16" bigger, then use my router with a template bit to trim them down to the correct size.

The down side of this, is I now have to wait until next week to buy the rest of the wood to do this. I may cut some more panels to size, so watch for pictures.