DIY THSPUD clone

The Dude

Well by the time I got home with the kids, dinner done, it was 700. Which didn't give me much time, but I managed to get the holes pre drilled for screws. Set up my router for cutting the dado around the parameter, got one started. Hopefully more gets done in the next couple of days. But we'll see. so only pic updated for now.

I was able to get all the dados cut tonight and even started dry fitting one of the panels. One thing I will say if you can get your hands on a dado bit, or dado blade for your table saw , do it and save your self some time. I used my strait cut bit, had to step it down about 4 times to cut it easily. Lets say that was real time consuming.

Added another pic, of mocking up the panels. I will order the drivers tomorrow, I realized I must have cut one of my side panels. So hopefully I have a way to get a sheet of plywood home sometime this weekend. But all in all its all coming together nicely, I just need to look at some of the access panels and were to place the fiber fill cotton stuff.

• Like 1

I was looking to see if you could get mineral wool in 1/4" thick panels but no luck... I wonder if You could get the 1" thick and then go to an upholstery shop and see if they could cut it down to the width of the SPUD and then cut it to 1/4" thick strips.

• Moderators

I did not use any batting in mine, the thread I read back then had a couple of people test with and without and could see no difference. I also was a little worried about it getting loose, there would be no way to fix it.

I will say it looks as that both drivers are mounted equal distance from the joint side as the top and bottom.

Maybe this will help explain what I am talking about.

I like the way the access panel is close to the mouth instead of the throat. FAR LESS pressure on the seal that way. Clever.