DIY THSPUD clone

The Dude

• Moderators
I want to cut a rabbet around the access panel opening so I have something to screw the access panel to.

I was going to do that but took the easy way out since it was going to be hidden. I used a piece of metal strangely similar to a no parking sign :o in size and thickness, painted black. Screwed the wood from the cutout to metal which left a nice overlap on the cabinet and filled the space on the inside. Then used something for a gasket and screwed the plate to the box. Haven't seen it since I sled it into place.

I would think toward the end of the horn there is really very little pressure, probably more of just a sound wave with those size drivers ?

I put some good amount of silicone on the areas Jason mentioned, along with some joints I questioned. The last panel didn't go in as good as I planed I think there was some glue in rabbet that was cut for the panel. I will finish cutting the access panel tonight or sometime this weekend. I way say this was easier to assemble do to the dados, then when I built a ttls and used the kreg jig. I learned a few thing what not to do and what to do for the next build, I guess its all ways a learning experience. .

Well for now she's all done, I added a couple of photos with the panel on. I still have to run test, unfortunately I don't have any testing gear handy, so for now she sits. As for positioning I have a couple ideas which way I want to try, but it will be once everything is done as far as the rest of the basement goes.

A couple of quick notes to myself and others.

1- Use your flush bit to make sure the top and bottom pieces along with the jig are all square to one another.

2-Dry fit dry fit dry fit, this sub I did the most dry fitting and things went together easier.

3- On the next one I want to do a better job the on access panel, its one of those things I didn't pay a lot of attention to and it didn't turn out as good as it could.

4-Clean any glue squeeze out off of the dados if you wait a day to finish, I had one panel I think had some glue in the way and things didn't turn out as great as the rest.

5-Of coarse take your time and enjoy everything in a project like this, if you don't its not worth it.

There were some others but can't think of them right now. In the spring or warmer weather, I will work on filling screw holes and getting it prepped for veneer(for when that time comes).

Man, it looks great. I think I have those exact same saw horses. Do your legs adjust for height?

Hey thanks, I find if I take crappy pics no one can see my flaws ;) .

Yes the legs adjust I love those things, I have accidentally cut one( not bad enough to cause problems) and ran my router to deep once. They were my dads I tried to give them back to him but he wouldn't take them. I love how I can have them right at level with my miter saw.

I was just thinking of building a new work bench something make shift to help with assisting in cabinet construction. Some times when I am working off of the saw horses, such as routeing I am slouched over and it kills my back. The best thing I can thing of is something that can be easily, quickly adjusted for height. When I am assembling cabinets, its not bad.

I have a set of steel adjustable sawhorses. I screwed a 2x4 on top of each so it don't matter if I cut into them. When they get bad I just replace the 2x4's

• Like 1

• Moderators
I still have to run test, unfortunately I don't have any testing gear handy, so for now she sits.

:o

I was thinking more like music or a movie test just for a rough opinion of what you thought, that's more important imo. I would listen first and test later, don't want the test to affect what you hear, it should just try to explain it.

You have the patience of a saint.

• Like 1

I still have to run test, unfortunately I don't have any testing gear handy, so for now she sits.

:o

I was thinking more like music or a movie test just for a rough opinion of what you thought, that's more important imo. I would listen first and test later, don't want the test to affect what you hear, it should just try to explain it.

You have the patience of a saint.

Never thought of it that way, I will have to give it a try some time up stairs.

• Like 1

No I more then likely will stand them on end up front. If I build a riser you would be ducking around the left surround speaker all the time.

One note I had the idea or dtel had the idea. Of putting the sub in my other system today and the wife shut that down quickly.

How ever I did get her to tell me I can do what ever I want downstairs as long as we can get around.

• Moderators

I just realized your in the middle of completely building your room. I have been looking at your thread but just didn't put it together.

Sorry I forgot that, I was thinking why he is not trying it ? Now I know why.

I have mine standing up along a side wall with the port firing up right in the corner. Had plans to try it with the port firing forward but I liked it like this and never tried it the other way.

Plus the room is 24' wide and I thought maby firing forward would make it sound like it was only on one side and less from the back wall ? The obvious answer would be to build another for the other wall, no rush I don't feel like I am missing anything as is.

I have many excuses. I have to think of the best and simplest way to test this baby out. It just sounds like so much work to get the gear out and wire everything up, yada yada yada, blah blah blah. I have a lap top, a minidsp, a pro power amp, Do I really need a pre amp of some sort or could I just run it from the lap top to the minidsp set a high pass and low pass filter for protection and run some bass notes.

I have to think of the best and simplest way to test this baby out.

Source, amp, sub. That will give you an impression of what to expect and let you know that your drivers are wired correctly. You can check for rattles and leaks as well. As long as you're not trying to max it out or blend with your mains that's all you need for now.