DIY THSPUD clone

The Dude

Had forum member ETC over last night.  We had the chance to play with this sub, which is the first time since I built it :( .  I know, I know how could you build something and not use it.  I just didn't have the proper gear to try it out.  So I took my Drifts off of the wall and ran the cross over on the minidsp at 80hz.  Man we had things shaking, we even were able to hook up my ttls.  I used to use the ttls with the Drifts, but I didn't have stilts built for them.  That was a huge difference as well.  Now if you want to know my opinion on the 2.  I would have to efficiency the ttls wins, I didn't run any sweeps to see which one went lower.  But I feel the THspud would win, along with power handling.   I wouldn't mind trying one of the THTLS, or some of the others that have been built.  I really need to decide how I want to set up my front stage, as the subs will have impact on that.  I can only imagine how things will sound once I get the room closed off, along with some sound treatments. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well starting back up, hopefully my pics stick around this time. This time I am building 2 for the basement. Hopefully using some of the tips and tricks I've learned along the way will help me be more efficient and accurate. Heres a start with cross cutting the several horn path walls at 10", once dados are ran in the 2 biggest sides should end up at 11" TH Spud clone. Not much of a start, but it has been a bus day, so time to wash up for the night.476c97ca1d7ed4e5f6a7da1a64b748c4.jpg0b3f27438629f8bb5d6b081854d79c71.jpg26744d7fc9b9e3a46dfe1d5a074331d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Made a couple cuts yesterday, just didn't take time to post pictures. I didn't get as much done as I liked to have today, but between moving the bed for the wife so she could paint, running kids around, hanging a door, I did get pretty far. All panels are cut, just need to trim an inch off of the main side panels and run dados. After that, its pre drill, mock up and then final assembly with glue.

As for the wood, I am taking a different route. Not a fan of mdf at all for a couple of reasons, but in the end it saves a few bucks. One thing I dont like is when it splits when screwing into the end grain. The main outer panels will be mdf, but the internal will be Auraco ply wood. Its fairly void free and a little less expensive, plus I can pick it up any given day at Menards. I've used it before with good results.

I've never been able to get perfect cuts with a zero clearance jig that you see in other photos. Close, but a little heavy, so I set up the table saw to remove any excess and get them all exact.

Like Carl, the setup for ripping big sheets works, but i imagine a panel saw/ track saw with dust extraction would be ideal. After a jointer, planer, table saw upgrade, I think its next on the lest.05d29ad23ca6e2be260b22513043713c.jpg8349033469c0272bb7bbaf5cc10235a3.jpgc2dd0b183a0b0aa9fbe5b0556ffcb6f6.jpg92000b839285b9950f83da21ca73ef4f.jpg4b6da4fc59d7eec5ad0bfee13c224b31.jpg7f6646a9915c976faf0f2b1a2cd5f587.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Like Carl, the setup for ripping big sheets works, but i imagine a panel saw/ track saw with dust extraction would be ideal. After a jointer, planer, table saw upgrade, I think its next on the lest.

I love my track saw.   Nothing better for ripping sheets.

Are you drilling pilot holes when you go in the end of the mdf?

I love my track saw.   Nothing better for ripping sheets.

Are you drilling pilot holes when you go in the end of the mdf?
I have tried pilot holes, but even with #6 screws it always seems to split.

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

I have tried pilot holes, but even with #6 screws it always seems to split.

If that's the case have you tried gluing, clamping in place then using a brad nailer?   Another alternative would be pocket screws as opposed to screwing on the end.

You're not using big box store mdf are you?  If so that could be your issue.   The difference between what they sell and cabinet grade mdf is incredible.   It makes big box store stuff look like particle board.

• Like 2

If that's the case have you tried gluing, clamping in place then using a brad nailer?   Another alternative would be pocket screws as opposed to screwing on the end.

You're not using big box store mdf are you?  If so that could be your issue.   The difference between what they sell and cabinet grade mdf is incredible.   It makes big box store stuff look like particle board.
Yes on the big box store, guess I didn't realize there is a difference and will have to keep that in mind next project when using mdf. I do use gluing, clamping, brad nails, and pocket screws for certain projects.

Well coffee is down, now time to get to work. Plan today is cut the jig, cut the dados and pre assembly for mock up.