K-77 tweeters and speaker dynamics

taviran

Hello forum members. In the last couple of months I have been trying to improve my La Scala speakers by turning my attention first to the crossovers and tweeters. With respect to the latter, I tried both Sequerra T1 ribbon tweeters and now Bob Crites. In both cases, I felt that while I got much better 'hifi' sound (smoother, more detailed etc.), I lost the amazing dynamics of the speaker. I do not mean the speakers didn't play loud with the new tweeters, they certainly did, but that the impact of instruments, their ability to move the air in the room, was much affected. At first, I didn't want to believe that a tweeter, which can hardly be heard on its own, could have such dynamic impact on the speaker as a whole. But after playing with and without the K-77 tweeter a couple of times, and going back and forth between the K-77 and the others, it was obvious to me that indeed it has such an effect. I was wondering if other people here have experienced something similar and whether they found a substitute for the K-77 which didn't suffer from a loss of dynamics.