My New Tube Amp from ampsandsound

bracurrie

Oh say it ain't so. At least yours is interested. Mine thinks a boom box is Hifi.

I spoiled mine when having the idea of building mine, I built hers FIRST, pics in my gallery.

After I built hers she did not give a rats azz what I was up to in the Mancave, of course until she heard it.

her Class A tube system pushes maybe 45 watts, Mancave system 45 switchable to 70 watts, her's is also KT88s.

First off congratulation bracurrie and certainly enjoy the new amp. Second, this is a great approach Minermark to get the wife involved. My wife actually has a boom box that she will not let go of, lol.

Congrats on the Stereo 15!! Looks great in your system! :emotion-21: I know it sounds great too.

I talked with Justin last Sat and he had a pre production model ready so I bought that one and it arrived tonight. I will start a new post Sunday after I play with the ST 15 over the weekend.

Super kind words. I would never have started ampsandsound if not for Dave's gentle prodding. Speaking of kind wives. My wife has been incredibly tolerant of me. She was watching our little one tonight while I demo'd some gear for some local audio buffs. Ultimately I think its good gear and great music thats transcendent; as it brings us all a bit of joy to our complex lives.

bracurrie,

Congrats on the new amp!!!

I have been eying Justin's new offerings and would be very interested to hear your comparisons to your other tube amps, and especially your loner "Little Ben".

I am driving my Cornscalas with an Almarro a205a mkii (5wpc EL84, SEP) with a Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp.

This combo sounds GREAT to my ears and has more than enough for my CSs in my treated 15' x 20' room.

This fall I built a pair of Frugal Horns (single driver, full range with the Alpair 7.3) and when I drop them into the system I find they could use a little more power than the 5 watts from the Almarro.

Hmmm, maybe the Stereo15 would cover both bases for me. :huh:

Guest David H

First of all congratulations!

Second, is this the guy we/I often hear complaints about? The guy disappears and won't return phone calls, etc?

Dennie

Absolutely not.

Dave

• Like 1

Second, is this the guy we/I often hear complaints about? The guy disappears and won't return phone calls, etc?

Dennie

Absolutely not.

Dave

What a relief. But it does beg the question so we all know. Who is the guy that Dennie referred to since it isn't Justin?

I have been eying Justin's new offerings and would be very interested to hear your comparisons to your other tube amps, and especially your loner "Little Ben".
The Manley is a beast. But it doesn't seem to be as transparent with the soundstage. The Little Ben is very transparent but isn't as clean and crisp as the Stereo 15. I've been told that the slew rate is the factor at play there and single ended amps have lower slew rates. Thats all for now as I am trying to schedule a time with my tech to do some amp testing and ABing. Will report observations on the Manley, Scott 222c, Little Ben and Stereo 15. He is going to bring some really good speakers to test full range with too.

Dennie

Absolutely not.

Dave

What a relief. But it does beg the question so we all know. Who is the guy that Dennie referred to since it isn't Justin?

That is great to hear. I can't remember the name of the guy, but I'm pretty sure it was on this forum (maybe not) that I heard complaints about a amp builder that would always have problems. Not necessarily with the amps, more with finishing them and staying in contact with customers.

I'm glad it's not Justin. It looks like he does great work! :emotion-21:

Dennie

I believe there were complaints about Ron Welborne. His amps are great, but his service seemed to have been problematic. IIRC, some folks ordered kits and never got them.

My Moondog 2A3 amps were kits, and I am the fourth owner of them. They are superb. I did purchase an assembly manual for them after they made them available online, and received it as a pdf.

Bruce

Nice looking amps Brac/Justin. EveAnna's stuff is well documented ;) Like that RP3 Brac, I have an RP1 on my Klipsch rig and it replaced a Music Hall MMF2.2 and the RB (even the 101) arm just destroys the Project arm IMHO. Looks like you are enjoying the music and after all that is why were here B) My good buddy here locally bought the RP40 which is basically your table pumped up a little, he has that nice Groove Tracer sub platter/delrin platter (nice upgrades which I highly recommend)

Nice looking amps Brac/Justin. EveAnna's stuff is well documented ;) Like that RP3 Brac, I have an RP1 on my Klipsch rig and it replaced a Music Hall MMF2.2 and the RB (even the 101) arm just destroys the Project arm IMHO. Looks like you are enjoying the music and after all that is why were here B) My good buddy here locally bought the RP40 which is basically your table pumped up a little, he has that nice Groove Tracer sub platter/delrin platter (nice upgrades which I highly recommend)

thanks. EveAnna is a piece of work. I love their devotion to tubes.

Hearing about upgrades to RP tables is interesting. I was considering the higher grade power supply but I am unsure of the bang for the buck of that upgrade.

Dennie

Absolutely not.

Dave

That is great to hear. I can't remember the name of the guy, but I'm pretty sure it was on this forum (maybe not) that I heard complaints about a amp builder that would always have problems. Not necessarily with the amps, more with finishing them and staying in contact with customers.

I'm glad it's not Justin. It looks like he does great work! :emotion-21:

Dennie

i cannot say enough good things about Justin's service. One has only to remember he is a one man show and when he gets busy things are probably going to take longer.

Guest David H

Dennie

Absolutely not.

Dave

I also believe it is Welbourn, though there are a few others that fall into this category as well.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Dennie

Absolutely not.

Dave

I also believe it is Welbourn, though there are a few others that fall into this categoryas well.

Dave

Yes! Ron Welborne is the guy. Thanks Bruce and Dave.

And a quick Google search confirms the "troubles"! ----> CLICK HERE

Damn, getting old is tough. They say the second thing to go is the memory and I can't remember what the first thing was! ;)

Dennie :blink: