K Horn Help

holtrp

Well, got them all set up. Heavy dusting will have to wait, along with photos. I could only listen to a couple songs at very low levels because the kids are asleep and the boss was giving me the whole "don't you want to spend time with me?" thing.

But wow. They look and sound fantastic so far. My room is about 20'x18'x20' and the room is just more full with these things. Everything works, so I don't have to rush out and buy a new horn, which is awesome. Pretty sure the P in the serial number indicates 1976. The caps on the aa network most certainly need to be changed. I hope new caps has the same effect on these speakers as it had on my Heresey's.

I will keep everyone posted!

• Like 1

I will have to take everything apart and do some good clean up on these things. The dust is literally almost ingrained in the wood. The wife is warming up to them though. She even thinks they stomp all over the Heresy's and that they look nice in the corners, so that is a huge win. Unfortunately, our 15' root bound schefflera is probably going to get sent to the wood chipper this spring.

So with that said, corner placement is sort of a issue. I have windows and trim in both corners and I cannot mate them up flush to the corner without at a minimum cutting out some trim, but then even if I did the windows are still there. The bass response is still pretty wicked to my ear, better than any other speaker I have ever heard. So how much difference does it make that they are not exactly flush with the corner? I listened to 'Country Grammar' this morning and it sounded like I had my Velodyne plugged in somewhere. So far, I am very impressed and probably will leave them be unless I am really missing out on something leaving a 1-1/2" gap.

Aside from cleaning everything up and getting new caps from Crite, any suggestions for maintenance? How far should I get into the speaker for cleaning? Disconnecting everything and unscrewing the cabinets will be a pretty big chore as it is, so I might just wait until the caps come in and do everything all at once. I couldn't get my heavy felt pads to stick yesterday on the bottom when I brought them in (too cold) and I am thinking about using the bigger plastic ones that you can tap in with a hammer, just to protect my floor. Maybe some rubber casters would be better?

post-32463-0-17260000-1391277731_thumb.j

Edited by holtrp
  • Like 1

No, the third one is the Belle, which also seems to be in good condition although the wood seems a tad off. It could just be the lighting.

Grippers, 400 grain and watco oil, got it.

So just use the round 2" foam (or heavier) and staple it to the back of the sub cabinet so it seals up when pushed into the wall? I will have to take a closer look at the backs to see exactly what needs to be sealed.

• Like 1

No, the third one is the Belle, which also seems to be in good condition although the wood seems a tad off. It could just be the lighting.

Grippers, 400 grain and watco oil, got it.

So just use the round 2" foam (or heavier) and staple it to the back of the sub cabinet so it seals up when pushed into the wall? I will have to take a closer look at the backs to see exactly what needs to be sealed.

you can purchase foam with adhesive on it, do not staple.

• Like 1