K Horn Help

holtrp

If you have build false corner only need to make it as high as bass bin that way will not block window much. One of mine is next to dinning area and I just built single false wall veneered it to match K-Horn. Then fastened t same way they did top hat. Rick

I read in The Dope From Hope years ago that the problem with not being sealed (with either neoprene rug runners or pipe covers) occurs in the mid and upper bass, not so much in the low bass (providing the Khorns are in the corner, but just not sealed). I think the problem range was 125 - 250 Hz, but it was a long, long time ago.

That dog looks awsome! That is a great picture! Nice Speakers! My belles cost 3 times as much and i paid more for my chorus ii than you did for this trio. If you are not going to use the belle you should put it on ebay and that should darn near pay for your khorns. It will make somebody a nice center

I have about half of the bass bin sealed up on each speaker. The windows and ledge in my room just isn't going to let me easliy get a 100% seal. I couldn't find 2" so I picked up some 1/2" and 1" pipe insulation and doubled it up. I might be able to get another layer of 1" pipe insulator on there, but at that point, who knows if it is even beneficial? I may end up tacking on some plywood to the bass bin on the area over the window and / or building on to the cabinet to get a seal on the wall or just going with the false wall setup. I will probably need to take them downstairs to the theater room and hook them up in a proper corner first to just see if it is even worth all the trouble. I ended up just going with the cheap-o felt pads on the bottom, which should be just fine. The crossovers will get a proper cleaning once I get new caps from Crite. They do sound a tad hollow, so I am quite sure they will benefit from fresh caps. Even so, these speakers are absolutely incredible. The sound is almost hard to believe. It is going to be a fun year listening to all my music again and hearing some new details. Of course, this all gets me thinking about selling out my RF gear and moving to heritage for the theater down the road. Do Hersey make good surrounds?

post-32463-0-96360000-1391468390_thumb.j

post-32463-0-59840000-1391468433_thumb.j

post-32463-0-81760000-1391468452_thumb.j

post-32463-0-53120000-1391468514_thumb.j

post-32463-0-96560000-1391468535_thumb.j

• Like 2

Funny enough, the lady knew what she had. I got them from a manager for a storage unit. She said the speakers had been sitting in storage for at least 10 years (I would say 15 - 20 from the amount of dust they had collected). She said she listed them a couple of times 5 years ago and someone contacted her from the east coast off an internet forum just to tell her what she had and tried to work a deal to ship them (probably a Klipsch forum nut!). She didn't say how much she had them listed for but she didn't get any takers locally and wasn't willing to crate them up. Now she just needed to get rid of them so they can rent the unit out again. I am going back tomorrow before I fly out to work, this lady said she has a whole unit full of pristine vinyl all boxed up she wants to get rid of.

• Like 1

I have about half of the bass bin sealed up on each speaker. The windows and ledge in my room just isn't going to let me easliy get a 100% seal. I couldn't find 2" so I picked up some 1/2" and 1" pipe insulation and doubled it up. I might be able to get another layer of 1" pipe insulator on there, but at that point, who knows if it is even beneficial? I may end up tacking on some plywood to the bass bin on the area over the window and / or building on to the cabinet to get a seal on the wall or just going with the false wall setup. I will probably need to take them downstairs to the theater room and hook them up in a proper corner first to just see if it is even worth all the trouble. I ended up just going with the cheap-o felt pads on the bottom, which should be just fine. The crossovers will get a proper cleaning once I get new caps from Crite. They do sound a tad hollow, so I am quite sure they will benefit from fresh caps. Even so, these speakers are absolutely incredible. The sound is almost hard to believe. It is going to be a fun year listening to all my music again and hearing some new details. Of course, this all gets me thinking about selling out my RF gear and moving to heritage for the theater down the road. Do Hersey make good surrounds?

One of the reasons I went with Crites Full crossovers is my LaScalls are 33 years old, dam sure those caps were weak after the first 10, they were Chit in the 70s and 80s.

knowing I wanted to replace the Caps, I thought well what the hell, if the caps are weak after 33 years maybe it sure the hell would do NO harm to replace the entire crossover(s), hearing them, I made a good choice.

Besides I just knew if I did the caps only id always be wondering about the transformers. IMHO.

Edited by minermark

From Crite:

Q: How do I know if it is time to replace the caps in my crossovers or replace the crossovers?

A: If the caps are over about 20 years of age, it is time to replace them or replace the crossovers. The caps are the main wear item on the crossovers, so a rebuild replacing the caps gets you most of the gain you could get. Replacing the crossovers completely, gets you some more gain because everything would be new and higher quality than the originals.

Also consider that for some speaker lines, parts for the crossovers were of lesser quality to start with since this is a place where costs can be cut and there is not an immediate hit on the quality of sound from the speakers. This applies to the non-heritage lines of Klipsch speakers. We see that in lots of those, the quality of the parts, especially the capacitors was not up there with the quality we see in the Khorn, Lascala, Cornwall 1, Belle, and Heresy 1. So, it is good to work on those earlier than the 20 years I mentioned earlier.

So, it is about $300 price difference between just doing the caps on all three or getting an entire new crossovers... I will probably just do the caps for now. With that said, has anyone seen failures on anything besides the caps on the AA networks or can anyone quantify SQ improvements by changing out the other components vs just the caps.

here's the quote I paraphrased above:

REBUILD YOUR CROSSOVERS:

You can ship your crossovers to us for a rebuild. That rebuild would include replacing the capacitors with high quality Sonicaps. That would include all the caps that are in the signal path. For the crossovers that have woofer roll off caps, we use non-polarized electrolytics for that woofer roll off. After the rebuild, we test the rebuilt crossovers on a spectrum analyzer to insure that the crossover is back in factory spec.

These prices are for parts (capacitors), labor and testing. If, during testing, we find that another part such as an inductor or autotransformer needs replacing, we would contact you. It is extremely rare that the crossovers need anything other than new capacitors to put them back into spec.

For any of these rebuilds, shipping back to you would be $13.00 by Priority Mail in the US.