Klipsch Reference Speakers

echan56

Hey guys

So I am recently upgrading my HT slowly, where I just purchased the RF-7 II and RC-64 II for my speaker system. The room this is going in is actually the master bedroom until the basement becomes furnished. I am currently picking up the Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-77 and plan to add the RS-62 IIs to the rear of my speaker set within the next 2 months.

Now the question I have for you guys is the following:

Would it be necessary to add a amplifier to this setup, as I know I can push more power into the speaker?

Also in terms of sub-woofers, what would be your recommendations? I had originally eyed 2 X SW-115 to this set, but also read some reviews about the SVS- PB13s?

Thx

Eric

• Moderators

Hey Eric, welcome to the forums. You will thoroughly enjoy the RF-7ii system. It's fantastic. As far as an amp being "necessary", no. Your receiver can drive the RF-7ii system. With that said, a solid amplifier will provide several benefits: Added separation and detail, more bottom end (even at low volumes) and headroom to help prevent your speakers from clipping. Once I added, my first amp, I've used one in both my HT and now my 2ch setup as well. I think it's a great investment since amps do not change very much as far as technology is concerned.

As far as subs, I've heard nothing but great things about the SVS-PB13....but they are quite expensive.

Need to add additional amplification.... no.

Will addtitional amplification help... yes.

At the very least, listen to the system for a while before making any additional amp purchases. One thing a big amp does in HT is to help with that instantaneous power delivery needed for big effects... this is not an issue in 2 channel/music.

For me, when it comes to HT, headroom is essential

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Yea the sub purchase is the one I am going to be most worried about. LOL I have heard and read reviews on the PB13s and from what I have read and seen they can essentially shake a good portion of your house. With the craziness of planning on adding a second one, I know I am just thinking for over the top.

As per amps, any suggestions you guys have? I have read a lot on emotiva as being more budget friendly in terms of amps, but I have considered even looking at the anthem amps as well.

• Moderators

There are a lot of great amps to choose from. I've owned Parasound, Sherbourn, Acurus and B&K amps and they all are great. I currently have a B&K 200.7 (200 x 7) amp for sale in the Garage Sale. All of these amps offer tons of clean power, never felt the need for additional power after adding one.

Several in the forums have owned Emotiva amps and like them as well. MichaelandKlipsch owns Anthem gear and loves it. Amps typically go for $2500 or more in the 200 x 5 or 200 x 7 range so yes, amps can get pricey. I've purchased all of my amps used and have no problem buying my next amp used as well. Great way to save a ton of cash.

I decided to stay with the Sherbourn that I have since it has 7 monoblock amps inside one chassis and has 7 terroidal transformers. It also weighs 120 lbs so I don't really want to move it again. :lol:

Edited by Youthman

I love my emotiva amps. Hard to beat the price. Check out the emporium at emotiva website for used gear.

I found absolutely no difference between the rs 52 and 62 after demoing both in home. Going with 52 will free up $ for subs and amps.

Also, you might look into DIY 18" subs opposed to the pb13. I was thinking about getting duel pb13's but am now going to sell my jl and get 4 18" subs.

• Moderators

I found absolutely no difference between the rs 52 and 62 after demoing both in home. Going with 52 will free up $ for subs and amps.

Holt is correct. I owned the RS52 for over a year and it had absolutely no problem keeping up with my RF-83's. I had the opportunity to purchase an RS-62 very cheap and kept it since it was less than $70 out of pocket to upgrade. I did hear a "bigger" sound with the RS-62's but it wasn't a huge difference. I wouldn't hesitate getting the RS-52's if you want to save some cash.

The cost of the speakers I am actually getting them at cost. So I am actually getting really lucky on the pricing already. Which is why at the moment I have been going back and forth trying to figure out what other components to get.

How would you guys rate the performance of the SW-115??? I know subs to a certain level you wont be able to hear that much of a difference, but in terms of sheer behemoth of power I can always go higher, but then I will be getting closer to MSRP.

As per the AMP, buying used may definitely be the way to go if I can get some really good deals. Thx for the suggestion @youthman

The 115 is a lfe monster... to of them in my mind is unthinkable. I have one in a room that is around 20'x45', and I can shake the entire foundation to the core at 1/2 gain settings

Edited by Schu

The 115 is a lfe monster... to of them in my mind is unthinkable. I have one in a room that is around 20'x45', and I can shake the entire foundation to the core at 1/2 gain settings

i have a very hard time believing this statement. Lol. Where are you at schu? I wanna come experience this foundation core shaking.

Hey guys

So I am recently upgrading my HT slowly, where I just purchased the RF-7 II and RC-64 II for my speaker system. The room this is going in is actually the master bedroom until the basement becomes furnished. I am currently picking up the Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-77 and plan to add the RS-62 IIs to the rear of my speaker set within the next 2 months.

Would it be necessary to add a amplifier to this setup, as I know I can push more power into the speaker?

Also in terms of sub-woofers, what would be your recommendations? I had originally eyed 2 X SW-115 to this set, but also read some reviews about the SVS- PB13s?

Thx

Eric

Hey guys

Thx

Eric

Congrats :D You could get two 115 and that might be close to a pb13 idk. If your getting it at cost that might be the way to go. You could even get 3 of them if you have the room. Never to much bass imo

i have a very hard time believing this statement. Lol. Where are you at schu? I wanna come experience this foundation core shaking.

Keep on being oblivious...

In my room the sw-115 is more than enough. I can not imagine needing or even having another sub. FYI I play bass in a rock band. I do know what stage bass levels are. This sw-115 kicks with the best of anything I have used. It is nearly flat to 15HZ with the test tones I ran, even at 10Hz I could easily feel (I had no tones available inbetween these frequency's ) but there was a drop off in levels from the 15Hz tones.

Also I must admit I have not listened to any SVS subs, so I can not comment on what they can or can not do.