Please welcome a Klipsch newbie and help with first 2.0 purchase!

mattSER

Sorry for the long post, but I've got a lot to say to you Klipsch-o-philes.

I've been eyeing Klipsch products for many years and have finally decided that this is the year(spring) to dive in.

I can't even recall when I first heard of Klipsch audio, but I do remember stumbling across the little Pro-media 2.1 system at Best Buy on display and bought it on the spot. Those little satellites sounded fantastic. Santana's trademark sustains were effortless and silky.

I then picked up a pair of the S1 in ear buds and have never looked back to my old Sonys.

Now I'm ready to go for a nice 2.0 setup and need some guidance.

Currently, I have an Onkyo receiver(110w/ch) which I LOVE. This receiver has done everything I've ever asked of it and done it well.

It's connected to an older pair of Pioneer CS-K835 floor standers(4-way, 12", 8", 5", 2"). They sound nice and powerful but they are housing aging paper cones and are a bit too warm. I've remedied this by "bi-amping"(i guess you could say) a pair of Sony floor standers(3-way, 8", 3", 1") with the receiver's Speaker B terminals and stacked them on top of the Pios.

I'm very happy with the power I'm getting from this set-up and the 1" tweeters on the Sonys really helped out the top end. The response is decent, bass roll-off begins at around 45hz and there is a spike at around 8khz, but it is simply the best audio set-up I've ever owned and has actually initiated a widening of my musical tastes. From skimming the forums, I'm assuming I'm slightly younger than the average member(just turned 30), so you can imagine, I'm just barely breaking out of my limited rock-centric interests. I'm spreading out into indie-rock, jazz and orchestral.

The more I listen to more "demanding" music, the more apparent it's becoming that I'm missing that special sparkle I remember from those tiny little Klipsch pro media satellites. It doesn't MOVE me and I know I'm ready to upgrade.

I still love to rock, so I think I'm going to need a versatile pair of speakers.

So, now that you know a bit about me, here's what I'm looking for. I have a small budget to work with, but it looks like I can find a decent pair of floor standing Klipschs for around $500.

The models I'm interested in so far are:

-Forte II (or I)

-KLF-30 or KLF-20

-RF-35 or RF-3

What do you guys think? I'm interested in the Forte for the raw size and power, but I have a feeling I may be missing out on the sleek, modern sparkle that the RF-35s may offer? The KLFs seem like they would match my power need, but may be a bit harsh? I don't know. It's difficult for me to find a place to audition them around here so I'm just trying to get some suggestions here on how these models differ. Also, any other model suggestions are very welcome.

I'm not interested in ditching my Onkyo just yet and have no interest in a subwoofer. I want strong, full-range floor standers with good bass extension. I can't shake the feeling that the RF series has the sparkle I am seeking, while the Fortes may sound a bit too "vintage" to me. Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

For the record, I'm pretty sure that that P-39f would be my dream speaker and the RF-83 would be my ideal speaker if I had $1000 to spend.

ANYWAY, I really hope some of you read this and some who read will help me out. I look forward to spending many long nights in your company.

post-57978-0-28340000-1391207881_thumb.j

• Like 1

hi, welcome, im new here too but am a long time klipsch owner. IMO, i would go with the fortes, hands down. they are not too big like the KLF & have a much better sound than any of the gold woofer stuff today, not that some big expensive rf-7's aren't a good speaker, but for the price you cant beat the heritage line. fortes, chorus, etc. lots of people like the klf-30 & 20's but they are very large, & can have known box problems (boxes rattle up loud due to poor build) nothing sounds like the older heritage series, or even the KG series like kg 4.5 & 5.5 etc. basically a 2 way version of the klf 20's. that ebay link to the klf 20's are a good price if they dont have issues.

your onkyo receiver will be plenty of good power for any of the ones you listed, obviously there are higher quality components & seperates etc, but for you budget, stick with the onkyo for now, i run onkyo receivers for home theater & 2ch. my forte 1's on a 90wpc onkyo 605 are down right amazing. i listen to good rock music too & they do everything quite well, bass, mid & silky smooth highs.

not sure where you are located but i have a very nice pair of oak kg 5.5's for sale. they have dual 10" woofers & a tractrix mid/tweet, they sound great for music & home theater & cant be beat for the price. asking $450 but price is a little negotiable. i am in iowa. havent posted them here yet but they are on craigslist.

good luck in your search!

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

hi, welcome, im new here too but am a long time klipsch owner. IMO, i would go with the fortes, hands down. they are not too big like the KLF & have a much better sound than any of the gold woofer stuff today, not that some big expensive rf-7's aren't a good speaker, but for the price you cant beat the heritage line. fortes, chorus, etc. lots of people like the klf-30 & 20's but they are very large, & can have known box problems (boxes rattle up loud due to poor build) nothing sounds like the older heritage series, or even the KG series like kg 4.5 & 5.5 etc. basically a 2 way version of the klf 20's. that ebay link to the klf 20's are a good price if they dont have issues.

Thanks for the welcoming reply!

So you don't think the RF series is as musical as the Fortes? You say they have a better sound, but in what way?

I actually like the idea of large, imposing speakers in the room(not married), so that is not a deterrent for me. The cabinet quality is more of an issue though.

La Scala

looks like La Scala is out of my price range and doesn't have the bass extension I'm looking for. I can't even imagine their superb musical quality though. Even if I could afford La Scalas, it seems as if I am not ready for such an audiophile product.

If your'e in Denver, you should go to this ebay listing (221364024498) hit the buy it now button, jump in your car and make the drive to Albuquerque.....Seriously!!

AAAGGHGHHHHH! Looking at that listing is pure torture! I don't have the money yet!

You're doing Good to start looking, so you know what deals there are; of what you've mentioned, I think the Forte II or KLF-30 are great, how about Chorus II?

Welcome to the forums.

Are you near Wichita?

7 hour drive from Denver, but your KLFs are half price of my local craigslisting. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be buying for another 60 days or so.

Musical Bass is there, but a SW is needed for HT & helps with Music; otoh, I've seen La Scalas go for your budget, sometimes less, sometimes more.

La Scala

looks like La Scala is out of my price range and doesn't have the bass extension I'm looking for. I can't even imagine their superb musical quality though. Even if I could afford La Scalas, it seems as if I am not ready for such an audiophile product.

You're doing Good to start looking, so you know what deals there are; of what you've mentioned, I think the Forte II or KLF-30 are great, how about Chorus II?

Chorus seems considerably more difficult to find in my area. How do they compare to the Fortes? I find it strange that they are listed with lesser bass extension than either Forte yet are using 15" active and passive drivers.

La Scala

Yes, La Scalas do sound better with the help of a subwoofer, but you can use them as is just fine, until you can find a sub you can afford. They may be a few hundred dollars out of your price range today, but why not save up for a few months and start looking seriously for a pair within driving range of your place? Believe me, your ears are ready for great sound today. When buying pre-loved speakers, a little patience can really really pay off. Being patient and having ready cash was how I got my Belles and La Scala IIs.

Quite a few forum members have had their La Scalas since they were young adults, or even had them while they were in college. I envy those dudes.

In the long run, it's more enjoyable and a lot less costly to get what you really want in the first place, instead of trading up step by step and likely taking a loss with every sale of the stepping stones.

BTW, my very first Klipsch speaker purchase was a pair of La Scalas from the local vintage hi-fi shop. They've served me well and they're now my surround speakers.

Edited by Islander

La Scala

Yes, La Scalas do sound better with the help of a subwoofer, but you can use them as is just fine, until you can find a sub you can afford. They may be a few hundred dollars out of your price range today, but why not save up for a few months and start looking seriously for a pair within driving range of your place? Believe me, your ears are ready for great sound today. When buying pre-loved speakers, a little patience can really really pay off. Being patient and having ready cash was how I got my Belles and La Scala IIs.

Quite a few forum members have had their La Scalas since they were young adults, or even had them while they were in college. I envy those dudes.

In the long run, it's more enjoyable and a lot less costly to get what you really want in the first place, instead of trading up step by step and likely taking a loss with every sale of the stepping stones.

BTW, my very first Klipsch speakers was a pair of La Scalas from the local vintage hi-fi shop. They've served me well and they're now my surround speakers.

I believe you, but for some reason, the La Scalas just don't click with me. I have also not come across a pair in colorado in the past six months.

You may be right about waiting longer though. I may save up more and try for the RF-83s. Otherwise, my ideal heritage speaker, Forte, is already within my price range.

If, by chance, I do happen upon La Scalas, do you think I could just equalize the bottom-end? I mean, they have friggin 15"s right?