1974 Heresy Type B crossovers

bonedoctor

Got a really nice pair of 1974 Heresy speakers recently. Nice pie logos, perfect grills, sound nice. I took off the back to look inside. Probably the last guy to see inside was the guy who put the back panel on in '74. So I check out the crossover and it's a type B style like my mint '72 Cornwalls. Was this the commonly used cross over?

Type C was used in Heresys with alnico woofer and K700 horn from the mid sixties into the mid seventies. Type D came around the time of the advent of the ferrite woofers, quickly replaced by Type E which simply incorporated a phase change. The E2 came toward the end of the run when the K55V was replaced.

I don't think the Type B was ever meant to be used officially. But some unexpected combinations seem to have come out of Klipsch due to parts shortages or special requests.

Edited by Malcolm

Yes, I thought it was commonly an E crossover, too, but the one speaker I opened is clearly labelled 'B'. It has a K-22E woofer, a shorter K-22V mid and a K-77 tweeter.

Everything appears to be original and I don't think anyone had been inside the cabinet before.

The caps on the odd B crossover aren't upright like those shown in the pics above. Rather, they are fat silver boxes laid flat and are shaped like a Klondike bar, mostly block shaped. The crossovers in the 72 Cornwalls are B with smaller block shaped caps laying flat.

Yes, I'll post some pics soon. The 72 Cornwalls are sweet. Oiled walnut with the pie logos and brown grill cloth. They are the vertical models, too, with mint labels and the orientation labels. They also have what appear to be factory risers.

I always enjoy peeking inside these things. The 72s got new Crites Crossovers and CT125tweeters since the fragile originals were both out.

Okay, so now I had to open the other Heresy cabinet. Very interesting. It has the same speaker components, but a Type C crossover!

So I looked at the type B from the other Heresy and compared to the 72 Cornwalls. One cap on the B from the Heresy has three connections, with two bridged together with a small jumper wire. The Cornwall B also has the cap with three connections, but with three sep wires.

And I just noticed the serial numbers are very slightly nonconsectutive. One is 9M683 and one is 9M686. Gotta love these old things!

Was this the commonly used cross over?

The Type E has two 2 uf capacitors - the Type B has one 4 uf and one 2 uf capacitors with different autotransformer connections.

To bonedoctor, is there enough print where you can read the values on the capacitors? See mach-1's post of the capacitor values above. If you are not familiar, the "uf" is probably "MFD" on capacitors from 1974. Could be a 'tag' that was accidently marked "B" but the components may still be values of an "E" or even the "D" referenced by Malcolm.

Yes, I thought it was commonly an E crossover, too, but the one speaker I opened is clearly labelled 'B'.

The caps on the odd B crossover aren't upright like those shown in the pics above. Rather, they are fat silver boxes laid flat and are shaped like a Klondike bar, mostly block shaped. The crossovers in the 72 Cornwalls are B with smaller block shaped caps laying flat.

I'm attaching pictures from a set of "D" networks that came from consecutive serial numbered Heresy speakers that have capacitors similar to what you have described. One has two Aerovox capacitors of a value of 2 MFD (uF) each while the other has four capacitors (two pair of two 1 MFD (uF) capacitors in parallel for the 2 MFD required value). The 1 MFD capacitors look like the Aerovox, but are stamped Micamold Radio.

post-36163-0-79180000-1391274575_thumb.j

post-36163-0-05020000-1391274590_thumb.j

post-36163-0-21820000-1391274602_thumb.j

post-36163-0-15220000-1391274614_thumb.j

Okay, I get some pics posted next week. I did remember one was micamold radio. One cap is turned away from me and I can't see the stamping. What's weird is that the have clearly different caps from each other and the Heresy B caps look like the Cornwall's B caps, but with one having a jumper wire.

Iv got a Klipsch speaker sitting in the wifes garage, I do not know just exactly what type it is but I know its some kind of heresy, came out of a burned up church sometime back, as soon as I clean up my bench here, im going to take a look, will post pics asap.