Which vintage Klipsch to buy

kirkmartin

Hello to all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I need some advise on which vintage Klipsch speakers to shop for.

My budget is some what flexible, but lets say around 500.00

My listening area is the garage, 20x25 with concreet floor and insulated walls.

The system I use now consists of RF-82 (mains) SB-3 (seconds) Marantz 2230 with a Rotel RB1092 power amp jacked into the pre outs, then a Dual 1219 TT thats run threw a Little Bear RIAA (chines) tube phono stage.

Overall I like the sound I have now, but I'm curious about the sound of the vintage Klipsch.

I'm looking for a large sound stage with thumping bas and bright highs, I mostly spin classic rock.

Thanks for any advise you all can give.

Kirk

• Like 1

welcome to the forum kirkmartin, Lascalas and a sub would be my choice in that size room but $500 might get you a set of Heresys

Cornwalls would be ideal just have to add a little more money

any of the big 5 plus the chorus and forte would be good. just open your wallet a little wider.

concrete floors, nothing will sound good in there.

Edited by Budman

Welcome to the forum!

You are priced a bit shy for what you want. I think a pair of Cornwalls would do what you want. Other than that, there are Chorus and Fortes.

Heresy's and LaScalas are kick butt speakers too. They lack bass below about 55hz. You can turn up the bass knob, or eq it, but it is a bit forced. If you are playing stuff like AC/DC, a set of Heresy's would be enough. If you start playing hiphop or dubstep, you should look at the speakers in sentence 1.

Edited by mustang guy

In my garage, with the music I listen to, a set of Heresy's on their side and about 15' apart at ear level provides an enormous soundstage, and some decent bass extension. I run them through a Pioneer SX-800 tube receiver which is 25W X 2. My garage is 30' X 40'.

Edited by mustang guy

With a $500 budget my order would be:

Chorus

Forte

Heresy

If you are lucky, La Scala, Cornwall, though I have never run across either at that price (Yes, I know, several forum members have played absurdly low prices. I am green with envy and it causes me to check craigslist daily).

Happy hunting. My guess is you will be lucky to have any choice at all. Even in a metro are like Cincinnati none of these speakers is plentiful. If you find a good deal on any of these grab them you can always upgrade later on.

Thanks for the advise, it's very helpful.

I have raised my budget a little and now have another decision, I have found a set of Chours II for 850.00 and a set of Forte's for 795.00 I like both and the price is close.

What are your thoughts ?

Kirk

Thanks for the advise, it's very helpful.

I have raised my budget a little and now have another decision, I have found a set of Chours II for 850.00 and a set of Forte's for 795.00 I like both and the price is close.

What are your thoughts ?

Kirk

You cant go wrong with either pair.

Chorus II would be my first choice but Forte is no slouch.

Chorus II has a sweet cast woofer for maximum slam & better mid horn.

Forte will hit slightly lower frequencies and will sound more forward.

Edited by jason str