Wall mounting surround speakers

kanbalagan

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the back of theRS-3II's. My KSF-S5's have keyhole mounting brackets on the back. A couple of screws on the wall for each speaker. Are there none on your surrounds? Seems odd that they wouldn't provide a mounting system for a speaker designed for wall-mount. Hmm...

fini

p.s. Interresting handle, kanbalagan. Care to explain? Oh, Welcome to the board, too!

Hi Fini,

Thanks for the reply and the welcome! I am actually awaiting the arrival of my set and am trying to prepare my room for it, so I was wondering what I needed to do about mounts. Maybe the RS-3II's have keyholes on the back of them as well. Does anyone know off hand?

BTW, my handle is my first initial and last name Smile.gif.

The older RS-3 DOES have keyhole slots for wall mounting. You can download the RS-3 manual from the "Help Center" on this website. Don't know if this would have changed on the RS-3II's.

On the KSF-S5 (as fini mentioned), one of the keyholes also has a threaded insert. This allows for hanging the speaker from the wall or ceiling using something like an OmniMount bracket. If this is possible on the RS-3II, you might consider that type of mount as well (makes it easy to tilt and aim the speakers ...)

The RS-3II (as well as all the other RS type speakers) have a pair of keyhole brackets on the back. The manual has a mounting template on the back page that you cut-out and used to properly locate and drill the holes into the wall. If going into drywall, good wall anchors and #10 screws at lest an inch and half will do good. If you are fortunate to have a stud at the place to mount the speaker, all the better.

In my case, my RS-7s (which are bigger/heavier than the RS-3II) are mounted to my walls using drywall anchors and 1 1/2 inch #10 screws and are rock solid on the wall.

My rear RC-7 is mounted on a 12x36 inch shelf supported by three pairs of shelf brackets. This setup is rated at and can support better than 80 pounds, plenty more than is required to safely support an RC-7. An RC-3II can very easily be supported by a 10x24 inch shelf mounted with two pairs of shelf brackets. Total cost of shelf and brackets, less than $30.

To add, the shelf brackets are mounted to the wall using the same wall anchors I used for the RS-7s, but I used 2 inch #10 screws since the 1 1/2 inch screws where not long enough to fit through the shelf brackets and still give a good enough "bite" into the wall anchor.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 07-11-2002 at 05:25 PM