The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
ClaudeJ1

Quarter Pie Bass Horn: Measured FR, How2Build, and Hornresp

I like seeing the throat. Nice work.

Looking into it is like looking into the mouth of a whale.  

Whale-shark-feeding.jpg

Sound of number one is quite nice but as predicted rolls off steeply below 80 HZ.

I am going to have to pull number 1 down and rethink the angle in relation to the seating position. Takes 3 to get it up and mounted. Should have both up and EQed by the end of the day tomorrow.

• Like 2

Funny stuff about the whale mouth, even thought it's smaller then the original Quarter Pie. LOL.

Funny stuff about the whale mouth, even thought it's smaller then the original Quarter Pie. LOL.

Better shot of gaping mouth

Edited by tromprof

Keep in mind most surround speakers roll off around 60-80hz anyways.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Both finally in place, great sound!!! The Kappa driver has a lot more bass than the EV 15L.

post-26564-0-05080000-1451509737_thumb.j

After dialing them in and listening back and forth I strongly prefer the Kappa 15C to the EV driver. Better bottom end and to my ears better overall sound.

I really like the sound of these straight horns, it would be interesting to build a longer version that would get down to 50HZ or so. The shape in impracticable already for floor placement but for hanging ... 

• Like 1

it would be interesting to build a longer version that would get down to 50HZ or so. The shape in impracticable already for floor placement but for hanging ... 

If you were to continue along the same flare you have now, until you got to 6 foot length from the throat, you would have, essentially, an MWM woofer good to 45 Hz., but smoother.

After dialing them in and listening back and forth I strongly prefer the Kappa 15C to the EV driver. Better bottom end and to my ears better overall sound.

Initinally I had EVM 15L's in a Peavey FH-1 bin to bet better crossover to a 500 Hz. JBL horn. Then I got K-402's and found I could cross them a 320 Hz. Since I already had the drivers, it was a matter of working with those. I discovered the excellent Price/Performance ratio of the Kappa 15C in my later explorations, when they were on sale for $129, now they are only $109, which makes them an even better bargain, since you can only get used EVM's reconed and they are not available new. Plus them being 4 ohms makes them a better choice to keep up with super efficiency DH-1A's. 

So I'm not surprised at your preference. I'm a fan of that driver to replace K-33's.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

That being said, in a main, front speaker situation, without active Xover PEQ's, the EVM 15 might be a better choice if you have to cross at 500 Hz., since it has better midrange perfromance than the Kappa 15C. It's really personal preference and which channel and horn your are using. The shorter, straight axis horn probably has better performance in the midrange and needs a little more help in the bass, so maybe that explains your preference. Besides, your room EQ does a lot to compensate for any differences. Thanks for the feed back, Glenn.

Currently working on a symmetrical "L" version of the Qpie, so stay tuned.

What's the footprint of the 'L' ?

Have not started on the BQP yet. Christmas kinda spilled over into january now... I'll be checking out a new shop space next weekend. Life Happens sometimes.

• Like 1

Have not started on the BQP yet. Christmas kinda spilled over into january now... I'll be checking out a new shop space next weekend. Life Happens sometimes.

It will still be a full Quarter Pie, but fed from the top firing down, so it will be symmetrical.

It will still be a full Quarter Pie, but fed from the top firing down, so it will be symmetrical.

So it will be a bit like this?

post-61702-0-33440000-1451802774_thumb.j

Yes. It's a logical progression. You could take the 2.2 plans and do it yourself. It will increase the volume of air in the final flare since the "golden" core section will no longer be in there.

Yes. It's a logical progression. You could take the 2.2 plans and do it yourself. It will increase the volume of air in the final flare since the "golden" core section will no longer be in there.

How about a sketch? I was musing about a smaller downsizing version of my straights for my living room while building the new pair and would be interested in your thoughts (as always).

I'm amazed at the 40 Hz. bass from Danley SH-50 synergy horns. Audyssey crosses mine at 40 hz. to subs. Probably because room simulations show a peak at that frequency. The Danleys have too much bass in my room and must be EQ'd down. I want to try and built a bass only version with two 15" drivers. It's an amazingly small horn for what it does. I want to match a pair of K-402's with an upsized verion of  that bottom before I do another Quarter Pie as it will be more challenging and interesting.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

I'm amazed at the 40 Hz. bass from Danley SH-50 synergy horns. Audyssey crosses mine at 40 hz. to subs. Probably because room simulations show a peak at that frequency. The Danleys have too much bass in my room and must be EQ'd down. I want to try and built a bass only version with two 15" drivers. It's an amazingly small horn for what it does. I want to match a pair of K-402's with an upsized verion of  that bottom before I do another Quarter Pie as it will be more challenging and interesting.

I would love to see a DIY of the Danley SH-50.