The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
ClaudeJ1

Quarter Pie Bass Horn: Measured FR, How2Build, and Hornresp

Looks very nice indeed! You should be very proud of the result.... Like what you've done with the mid horn base, do you mind if i copy your idea? Thats the next job on my list.

Once again nice work.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

There is TubaHT under QP hidden behind the grille.

And if I someone is inspired by my finish, feel free to use it.

post-60882-0-80020000-1461057372_thumb.j

There is TubaHT under QP hidden behind the grille. And if I someone is inspired by my finish, feel free to use it.

I think it is truly inspiring to see and the best looking so far IMHO.

I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks, or better! 

• Like 1

Congratulations. It is good to see folks trying different designs/styles. Your's is a success!

Enjoy them,

-Tom

Hi guys

Just thinking about cross over options, does anyone have a frequency plot of the horn with the Kappa 15C driver?

Would love to see the natural HF roll off...

Thanks Dave

Hi guys, what slopes and cross over frequencies are you using on your quarter pie horns?

Thanks Dave

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The highpass response of my mid horn is -6dB @ about 270Hz, with a 48dB/octave slope.

This is coincidentally right about the point where my QP is down 3dB, on it's 6dB/octave rolloff .....  so I add a 42dB/octave filter, with the -3dB point at ~270hz ..... to produce the complementary 48dB/octave rolloff,m with the -6dB pint @ 270hz.

I will tinker with running it a bit higher than this at some stage.  (maybe 1/2 an octave)

I had a single coil for -6db at 400Hz, then moved to -6db at 700Hz and now I have no filter at all. 

The highpass response of my mid horn is -6dB @ about 270Hz, with a 48dB/octave slope.

This is coincidentally right about the point where my QP is down 3dB, on it's 6dB/octave rolloff .....  so I add a 42dB/octave filter, with the -3dB point at ~270hz ..... to produce the complementary 48dB/octave rolloff,m with the -6dB pint @ 270hz.

I will tinker with running it a bit higher than this at some stage.  (maybe 1/2 an octave)

I just want to add that it is primarily driver dependent in conjunction with the horn itself, which is secondary on the high end and primary on the bottom.

I had a single coil for -6db at 400Hz, then moved to -6db at 700Hz and now I have no filter at all. 

Which driver?

Hi guys

Just thinking about cross over options, does anyone have a frequency plot of the horn with the Kappa 15C driver?

Would love to see the natural HF roll off...

Thanks Dave

You may want to check the curves at the beginning of this thread.

Working on a symmetrical adaptation of the Quarter Pie I will call the "L-horn" (not to be confused with "the" in Spanish). It will be more difficult to build but should have more even distribution of the higher frequencies when coupled with a Klipsch K-402 with a TAD 4002 driver mechanically mounted and acoustically balanced. Like all good horn setups it will be active with PEQ, Time Delays, and ROOM based FIR filtering.

Stay tuned.

Just added a Crown XLS2000 to the system. Hooked it up the the main LR QPs and am very pleased with the sound. Very clear and a bit more dynamic that the Crown PS-200 that was there.  Man, I love the way the system sounds with the fronts time aligned. I picked up a second Ashly unit to use with the side channels and F20 subs. Now up to 3 Crown D-75A, one PS-200, and the XLS2000 in the system plus the sub amps and Pioneer receiver.  The wiring is getting complex!

• Like 2

There is TubaHT under QP hidden behind the grille.

And if I someone is inspired by my finish, feel free to use it.

Which way did you turn the THT? Like this?

pASbSvc.png

Just added a Crown XLS2000 to the system. Hooked it up the the main LR QPs and am very pleased with the sound. Very clear and a bit more dynamic that the Crown PS-200 that was there.  Man, I love the way the system sounds with the fronts time aligned. I picked up a second Ashly unit to use with the side channels and F20 subs. Now up to 3 Crown D-75A, one PS-200, and the XLS2000 in the system plus the sub amps and Pioneer receiver.  The wiring is getting complex!

No kidding about the wiring. So are you using a bandpass filter from 60-400 Hz. in the amp with the Qpies?

Edited by ClaudeJ1

The front QPs are currently 50- 400 HZ. I should have REW up and running soon and that could change.