ClaudeJ1

Quarter Pie Bass Horn: Measured FR, How2Build, and Hornresp

26 minutes ago, djk said:

T

Fabulous driver!

I agree on the looks and specs alone.

45 minutes ago, djk said:

Fabulous driver!

It really is a well engineered chunk of driver....  but, for this horn perhaps not the perfect match  ..... I originally bought it thinking it would go in a sealed box and cover 70 to 280Hz  (at home SPL) ... and then convinced myself that I could fit a midbass 'horn' in my room, and this driver was an approximate fit.     Now I have aspirations to build a bigger set of horns with a more suitable driver (evil laugh).

TD15M has too much compliance and too low Fs by ~ an octave for the QP.    That being said, it does have that "something" as opposed to using it as a direct radiator.   One thing or other about 'bass articulation' is the right way to describe it I think.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2016 at 9:09 PM, davewantsmoore said:

It really is a well engineered chunk of driver....  but, for this horn perhaps not the perfect match  ..... I originally bought it thinking it would go in a sealed box and cover 70 to 280Hz  (at home SPL) ... and then convinced myself that I could fit a midbass 'horn' in my room, and this driver was an approximate fit.     Now I have aspirations to build a bigger set of horns with a more suitable driver (evil laugh).

TD15M has too much compliance and too low Fs by ~ an octave for the QP.    That being said, it does have that "something" as opposed to using it as a direct radiator.   One thing or other about 'bass articulation' is the right way to describe it I think.

Was it you that described the sound as "Velvet Sledgehammer"?  I think is a cool description!!

6 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

:D
That was me.

Bass has a certain detail and softness to it, which is often missing from low sensitivity IME.

Which is why I have all horns in my system, including tapped horn bass. I recently went from 3 to two......one OThorn and one Danley TH-50. I think I will pull my other two TH-50's from storage and squeeze them into my listening room. Yes, I know I will have diminishing returns according to Welti, but I do have a spare Crown K2, which drives thes tapped horn subs with SUPERB results.

Horns RULE, top to bottom!!

My room is too small for subwoofers that large.    1 have 5 bass sources, but each takes < a square foot of floor space.   (10" drivers)

18 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

My room is too small for subwoofers that large.    1 have 5 bass sources, but each takes < a square foot of floor space.   (10" drivers)

Well, using direct radiators for bass below 50 Hz. is certainly doable if you have enough of them, like you do. I admit, mine are overkill, but they are as effortless as they are seemingly "bottomless" even when playing those nasty 16 Hz. square waves from the "Edge of Tomorrow" Blue Ray.........they survive a beating at near clipping on the amp, which is a few kilowatts. Will definitely shake your digestive track around a bit, even if you never overeat! LOL.

Quarter Pies for the sound, subs for the FEEL.

On 11/6/2016 at 3:22 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Build them into the walls.

On 11/25/2016 at 2:12 AM, davewantsmoore said:

They already kinda are.    It's only a 4m * 7m room.

That is a bit longer than the living room I had in Indianapolis, which had twin front/rear Danley DTS-10 monster subs crossed at 60 hz. below the Quarter Pies. I measured down to 8 Hz. in the room. Problem was, during super low bass tests and LFE output from movies, stuff vibrated 3 rooms down the hall, LOL............evil laugh!!

Those subs definitely would toss your dinner around your stomach without much effort and were a great complement to the Quarter Pies.

Sorry Claude, haven't checked the forum lately.
I'm waiting to sort out an issue with my minidsp.... I wanted to try it again after giving up on the passive xover but when I put it back in the system I no sound output. I'm awaiting a reply from minidsp.

Gave up on the passive for now as I'm having trouble designing something that works well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Here is something I posted to the SNA forum.

Below is a capture of the bass, starting at the top is no filter, then a 1.4 mh coil then 1st order inline filter and lastly its 2 inline filters so 2nd order.

All these filters were set at 450hz, I thought the 3db point should be at the cross over frequency and then the differing slope would go from there.

Also tried adjusting the filter to 600hz but it didn't change much.

I've really like to level the response and then have it really falling off closer to the 400hz mark. How do I achieve this???
tapatalk_1480647113158.jpeg.fbb399349a2e

On 12/1/2016 at 9:55 PM, nzlowie said:

I've really like to level the response and then have it really falling off closer to the 400hz mark. How do I achieve this???

Your room is contributing a great deal to the low end boost which is great. Once you get your mini DSP's back, I would try a 300 Hz. boost by about 4 db with a Q of 5.6 and wiggle those 3 parameter from there. I would then use a 4th order LR slope at 400 Hz. to match your treble horn.

Your mileage WILL vary.

Thanks Claude, anyway to do this without minidsp? Would like passive if possible.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, nzlowie said:

Thanks Claude, anyway to do this without minidsp? Would like passive if possible.

A passive filter cannot boost (only cut) ....  The same result as the miniDSP can be achieve, you just have to work out where to cut to achieve the same outcome  - eg. Claude is suggesting to boost at 300....  the alternative would be to cut everywhere else, and you'll end up with the same shape response.

Got some cheap small bipolar caps sitting around, ok to use them as a trial? A cap is a cap right?