The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
ClaudeJ1

Quarter Pie Bass Horn: Measured FR, How2Build, and Hornresp

1 hour ago, muel said:

For the curve I found my center, ran a string for the radius and drew a curve with a pencil.  Followed with a cordless jigsaw (take it slow).  Not perfect but sander cleaned it up. 

It's what I did on my first one since I didn't have a router at the time.

6 hours ago, gazzamongo said:

thought about making a university classic dean. But it doesn't seem to measure better and then there's so much opportunity for failiure with all those angles to cut ( and sketchy plans )

I've been redrawing the 'Classic', based on some different official University plans. Without going into detail I've found a few outright errors. What I like about the Classic is it isn't a bifurcated horn like the Khorn, LaScala and Belle. The response is smoother and they will play higher. Of course, kudos go to Claude for the Qpie, as it does much the same and goes lower.

Bruce

• Like 1

I've been redrawing the 'Classic', based on some different official University plans. Without going into detail I've found a few outright errors. What I like about the Classic is it isn't a bifurcated horn like the Khorn, LaScala and Belle. The response is smoother and they will play higher. Of course, kudos go to Claude for the Qpie, as it does much the same and goes lower.

Bruce
Are you intending to build one? Must be curious after working on the drawings :)

The Dean appealed to me as it's quite a handsome cabinet , fitting neatly into corners without intruding too far out into the room. But as stated , I'm less than confident about my cabinetry skills for that one.

Seems hard to go wrong with the q.pie given its straightforward design and a helpful forum including the designer himself and other builders. Build cost looks very reasonable too.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi all,

The response of this horn is very good, I am interested in building 4 for PA use but I am concerned about the shape. Looks like it won't be easy to carry and store.

Has anyone tried a rectangular version?

I am after a response of 40Hz - 250/300Hz, I don't mind loosing the top end and a bit of sensitivity.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 8:15 AM, Mrscy said:

Hi all,

The response of this horn is very good, I am interested in building 4 for PA use but I am concerned about the shape. Looks like it won't be easy to carry and store.

Has anyone tried a rectangular version?

I am after a response of 40Hz - 250/300Hz, I don't mind loosing the top end and a bit of sensitivity.

If you want square ones, you can just omit the big radius, which makes it a 4x4 foot box that is stackable. If you do that, you can orient the woofers opposite from each other the get more even distribution at 400 Hz. or just run them vertical, butted together.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:32 PM, muel said:

For the curve I found my center, ran a string for the radius and drew a curve with a pencil.  Followed with a cordless jigsaw (take it slow).  Not perfect but sander cleaned it up. 

So how does it SOUND with, I assume, a good top end?

12 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

So how does it SOUND with, I assume, a good top end?

I hate to say this is unfinished... cut plywood collecting dust sitting on my bench for WAY too long.  Too many projects and things keep getting in the way such as water heater bursting and wiping out our kitchen.  I stopped it quick but 50 gallons of water and mdf underlayment is a bad combination!  I have some thoughts for the person who thought that was a good idea.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:14 PM, muel said:

I hate to say this is unfinished... cut plywood collecting dust sitting on my bench for WAY too long.  Too many projects and things keep getting in the way such as water heater bursting and wiping out our kitchen.  I stopped it quick but 50 gallons of water and mdf underlayment is a bad combination!  I have some thoughts for the person who thought that was a good idea.

Gee, that's too bad. You are really missing out on the best bang for the buck bass possible. Procrastinators of the world unite! I'm guilty on too many projects too. Priorities galore! LOL.

• Like 1

Empathetic here.

Back in May our ground floor took > 1 foot of water (including my QPs), including water inside the wall cavities.    Luckily the QP were made from marine ply.   :D

Just recently the room is ready again to move into.

23 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Empathetic here.

Back in May our ground floor took > 1 foot of water (including my QPs), including water inside the wall cavities.    Luckily the QP were made from marine ply.   :D

Just recently the room is ready again to move into.

Oh boy. Glad the "Velvet Sledgehammers" survived, yikes! Hope those expensive AE Drivers were insured.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:40 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

If you want square ones, you can just omit the big radius, which makes it a 4x4 foot box that is stackable. If you do that, you can orient the woofers opposite from each other the get more even distribution at 400 Hz. or just run them vertical, butted together.

How much sensitivity would be lost by reducing the box to 2.6x2.6 foot  and 3.2x3.2 foot?

I want to see if a smaller box can work well as a kick bin.

18 hours ago, Mrscy said:

How much sensitivity would be lost by reducing the box to 2.6x2.6 foot  and 3.2x3.2 foot?

I want to see if a smaller box can work well as a kick bin.

Depends on what kind of "kick" you are looking for. Mine was 50 Hz.-300 Hz. as smooth as possible with 104 db/watt and reducing the space of an MWM horn by 40% while only giving up 5 Hz. in the process. Mission accomplished. Going smaller means a shorter horn with higher cutoff. You can't cheat the physics.

traditional kick bin is a strong peak centred upon 120Hz. Your 1/4 pie is an excellent horn. I am simply running out of room for horns. When they put me in the ground I will have to wear my Stax in ear electrostatic speakers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Depends on what kind of "kick" you are looking for. Mine was 50 Hz.-300 Hz. as smooth as possible with 104 db/watt and reducing the space of an MWM horn by 40% while only giving up 5 Hz. in the process. Mission accomplished. Going smaller means a shorter horn with higher cutoff. You can't cheat the physics.

70 to 250Hz, so 50 to 300Hz is perfect. Can you please post link to plans and hornresp response?

14 hours ago, moray james said:

here is a perfectly good kick bin design compact and solid.

Bass Kick Bin design.jpg

Can you please post link to detailed information: hornresp data

10 hours ago, moray james said:

traditional kick bin is a strong peak centred upon 120Hz. Your 1/4 pie is an excellent horn. I am simply running out of room for horns. When they put me in the ground I will have to wear my Stax in ear electrostatic speakers.

Well, for "HiFi" my friend calls it "headache bass." So if it's for PA, then all is well with a smaller box.

9 hours ago, Mrscy said:

70 to 250Hz, so 50 to 300Hz is perfect. Can you please post link to plans and hornresp response?

go back to page 1, it's all there.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:40 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I am ready to build arectangular version,

Do I add a 31.75" panel above the rear chamber or a 48" panel parallel to #3?

If I put a 48" panel parallel to panel #3 there will be 2 corners, must the simulation be in 0.5pi or 1pi?

Thank you in advance.