Scala's are home, WOW :)

Matthews

are the rotel preamps rated good?
cf4, I used Rotel on the horns to bi-amp my 7's with nice success. From what I have read, Rotel has a nice warm sound that will go well with the Scala's.
Oh almost forgot, they look great in your room, very nice.
Thank you dtel :)
Isn't horn Bass amazing!
Hello my ol' Friend, the folded bass bin horn is AMAZING. I was skeptical at first (prior to purchase) after finding out about the SMALL rectangular hole in the back of bin. I don't fully understand how this design can possibly make such good sound, But it DOES!!! no argument :)

Rock on Dennie

hey wait a minute... were those the la scalas that were for sale in Fall brook?
Schu, they came all the way up to Missouri from Texas. Very sweet trade deal with a fella in Arkansas. DELIVERED!
from now on they get NestlesToll House.
I can only hope it's enough miner :)

Thanks to craigslist :) I couldn't afford new ones that's for sure! The LSII's really are gorgeous speakers. I think you can easily get the same or better performance from an older modded pair and save about $700/pair too. I had to drive to FL for one set and to NC for the other, but luckily they came up within a few months of one another.

The La Scala mid-range really is that good. So good, the center channel RC-64 in the picture is not even hooked up as the system sounds better with a phantom center channel coming out of the front La Scala's.

That's not to mention how life like the bass bin sounds. Drums sound 100% real now. I once listened to the P-39F's on huge mono block amps. I hadn't really heard drums sound like that again until I bought the LS II's. Of course, I'm running two great RT-12d subs that are flat down to 19hz. My subs seem to keep up with the LS II's, but I'm thinking I want to build two 18" subs, each having two passive radiators. I'd like to build a tuba HT instead, but it seems I'd need even more space to run two of those beasts.

I was/am a reference fan, but I really feel bad that I listened to the RF-83's all those years thinking they were great speakers. There is no substitute for an all horn loaded speaker unless you plan to spend several thousand/speaker and have the money for huge amps.

Awesome! I made the switch from my RF-83 setup that I said I'd never sell to La Scala II's off craigslist late last year. I agree about the La Scala sound being better.

holy cow... you have four la scala II's?

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 1

agreed on the nice warm sound, my rotel rb990 sounds soo much better than my adcom 555ii, both rated at the same power of 200wpc, but the rotel has a damping factor of like 1000 vs the adcom in the mid hundreds. that probably only effects the bass but the rotel just sounds so much better on the def tech speakers i tested it on briefly. have yet to hook up the rotel to my new to me k-horns, im hoping it will sound much better than the adcom. dont get me wrong, the adcoms are good amps, especially for all out power & bridgeability, but they just dont sound as good as the rotel IMO.. or my onkyo m-504 for that matter. i'm also considering trying the bi-amp thing with the rotel running the tops of the k-horns & an adcom on the bass bins.

congrats again on the la scallas, im keeping my eyes out for a pair to add to the k-horns someday.

Edited by klipschfancf4
  • Like 1

Very nice. I think the la scala is a great looking speaker with or without the grills. I started with rf-3's then went to rf-7's. They are very good. Then one day my brother gave me his 1980 heresies that he didn't use. Although the bass was of course not as deep, I couldn't believe how much more lifelike the music sounded. Been a heritage guy ever since and my journey stopped with khorns. I'll have khorns for as long as I possibly can.

• Like 2

Very nice, congrats. I am sure you will enjoy. Reference is what turned me on to Klipsch, when I herd them at a department store. Then shortly after I went to a friends house who had Cornwalls, and Heresies. It didn't take long before I forgot about the Reference line and saved a bunch on a pair of Heresies off of CL. The rest was history.

• Like 1

Definitely a used set of la scala's for the rear is a great investment. I think the mid-range and tweeter are the same as the khorn, so it would be a great timbre match.

I ran my la scala's for about two months using RS-62's for the rear/side. When I finally found another pair of LS II's, I was very pleased at how much more life like the surround effect was on multi-channel audio tracks. For example on a good multi-channel recording it's now much easier tell what kind of room the recording was done in. That's not to mention how much better you can hear subtle surround effects, and the fact that the timbre matching makes everything just blend together beautifully.

Very nice. I think the la scala is a great looking speaker with or without the grills. I started with rf-3's then went to rf-7's. They are very good. Then one day my brother gave me his 1980 heresies that he didn't use. Although the bass was of course not as deep, I couldn't believe how much more lifelike the music sounded. Been a heritage guy ever since and my journey stopped with khorns. I'll have khorns for as long as I possibly can.

• Like 1

Oh almost forgot, they look great in your room, very nice.

Thank you dtel :)

Isn't horn Bass amazing!

Hello my ol' Friend, the folded bass bin horn is AMAZING. I was skeptical at first (prior to purchase) after finding out about the SMALL rectangular hole in the back of bin. I don't fully understand how this design can possibly make such good sound, But it DOES!!! no argument :)

Rock on Dennie

from now on they get NestlesToll House.

I can only hope it's enough miner :)

The narrow slot in front of the La Scala woofer increases the airspeed at the start of the bass horn, and allows a regular cone driver to act like a compression driver. Horn speakers have a lot of sophisticated engineering, which is not always obvious when you're looking at a pair of black-painted plywood boxes.

Congrats on your new speakers and happy listening! :emotion-21::D:emotion-21:

Edited by Islander
  • Like 3

"The narrow slot in front of the La Scala woofer increases the airspeed at the start of the bass horn, and allows a regular cone driver to act like a compression driver. Horn speakers have a lot of sophisticated engineering, which is not always obvious when you're looking at a pair of black-painted plywood boxes."

Awesome Islander, I say this to myself evey time I'm listening to my big black boxes :D

post-16574-0-24680000-1391464626_thumb.j

• Like 1

Let the sickness begin .. again!

I stopped with Cornwalls, I ran out of rooms to set them up in and I can't bring myself to "store" them without use.

2 KG 2s

1 7 ch Synergy setup (mains stored, Fortes used in place of them)

2 Heresy 1s

2 Heresy 2s

2 Quartets

2 Forte 1s

2 Cornwall 2s

Academy

Scalla commercial top section (Ok it is in storage)

and some others

You can never have TOO many Klipsch

• Like 1

They do look real nice in your room, and you should set aside some bucks for a tube amp - it seems the "Heritage" line loves being driven by tubes for some reason.

Thank you Doctor :) -going all SS Rotel. Some of it is already on the way. Hoping to have the amp nailed by weekends close. YAY

There was a guy on here years ago who loved Rotel....enjoy.

:D very excited to hear the results of my new 2-channel build.

Several years ago, I picked up a pair of RF-7's thinking I will never part with. Well, in short, goodbye my ol' friends. Hello! La Scala!!!

After getting them settled in (had to paint the wall behind cause they clashed with the yellow). Replaced a diaphragm on one HF horn (I'll do the other next week). It was time for a test drive!

Three words, OMG!!! :) -the delicacy of sound from these is amazing. The warmth is attractive and the look, well, look at them! Gorgeous!

I was a little worried they would be too much. Those worries went quickly out the door with the twist of the throttle. Oh dear Lord, I had no idea what I have been missing. Now to smooth over the neighbors. I think some fresh baked cookies are in order :)

ScalaHome_zps47dba3d4.jpg

Beg, barrow, buy or steal a tube amp, and your world will light up just a "Tad" more.........

• Like 2