hi guys, need a little help.

Cal Blacksmith

Bummer, I lost all the text!

Anyway I know it has been a while since I have signed in and I can't get my old account working !

I an in need off a new AVR. While watching the Superbowl, the breaker tripped and even though it is on surge protection my avr will not pass video other than STD resolution. If the scaler needs to be used, the AVR drops the video.

I took a look at Audiogon and came across the Denon x4000.
I am looking to stay At $1k and used is OK but a feature set like the Denon is highly desired.

Thanks in advance for any heads up on that unit or on other processors that are current. The Yamaha I have is about 5 years old and could stand an upgrade anyway.

Wayne

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

That Denon looks pretty nice. Those things retail for $1300, and Amazon has them for retail. I personally use Integra pre-pro and am happy with it. Lot's of people here love their Pioneer Elite AVR's. Look at the SC-72, which is comparable to the Denon x4000. One thing is for certain, I like Audyssey X32. Your Denon has it and some extra goodies. Audyssey Sub EQ HT sounds cool. The Pioneer Elite has MCACC.

Go over to AVS Forums, look up jdsmoothie, with AVS Ssles & give him a CALL.

He should be able to help advise you & you should be able to get the Denon X4000 Under Budget.

Yeah, I sent a friend over to him and he got a sweet deal on the x4000 too.

• Like 1

Thanks for the direction to someone who can help.

While on the drive to work this morning, I realized that I do not need a whole AVR, actually, I am quite happy with my amplification, I have two outboard SS stereo amps running A-A/B with my current AVR only driving the center and the rearmost speakers of the 7.1 setup. There is nothing wrong with the Amp section of the AVR and it has pre In for everything so all I really need is a Processor / Pre-Amp.

So, what is the market looking like when we think PRE-PRO?

Dtel

Thanks, yes it has been a while, way too long. I got all wound up in coffee and espresso so I spend a lot of time on a coffee site, and as I am a moderator there, it takes a lot of time.

EDIT HUH, I linked to the site but the new forum software deleted it, interesting. It is Coffee Geek (one word) dot com.

My 2 ch setup is still pretty much the same as it was, Cornwalls, Sonic Frontiers amp (6550 push pull) VTL ultamate for a pre-amp, Regga TT and I have added a new CD deck but mostly I stay LP. I have a tuner hooked in but it never goes on, either does the cassett tape deck but the TV in that room does go through the 2 ch but I am getting a ground loop from the Hopper (dish network) box. It uses a wall wart transformer and runs on low voltage, I think the ground loop is in the cable run to the dishes because it is only when the actual coax is connected that I get the loop.

Anyway, as I said, my HT got slammed over the weekend, I did manage to finish the game for the guests by sending the video straight to the projector and running L R leads to the AVR for audio only. Not near what it was before the accident but at least it finished the night.

Does anyone have advice for a new head unit, my amps can do the job very well but the video section is toast. It has been a while since I was shopping for gear and I am not up to date with the market anymore.

In the forum help forum, I did post for help from Amy and I was directed to a post from Chad ? Chris? to email him if you go through all the steps and can't get it working. One problem is that the Email I used when I signed up here way back when, is no longer even doing business anymore so I am not sure how that affects things.

Edited by calblacksmith

Before the forum software change, I couldn't remember my password, and the email account I used to sign up was long gone. I simply entered a current email address, and my password was sent there. Not certain if the new software will also allow that, but it might be worth a try.

• Moderators
EDIT HUH, I linked to the site but the new forum software deleted it, interesting. It is Coffee Geek (one word) dot com.

No way I am not going there, I have a (almost) coffee problem as it is, do not want any incentive at all. I am not picky, I use my grandfathers old drip pot and regular bag coffee, being from New Orleans I like coffee with chicory, a big no no I would guess.

took me forever to migrate over to the new forum. had to ask Amy for help.

I had to do the same thing, I am sure that didn't surprise her that I couldn't get it ! :wacko:

Chad was right on it, Johny on the spot! I am now back on track. Thanks Chad :D

Well, I have no problem admitting to the coffee addiction.

Drink it how ever you like it, there is no "right or wrong" only what you like.

Anyway, Does anyone have a starting point for me to start looking for a processor/head unit? I suppose I could go with another AVR but I do not use the built in amps anyway as that is all powered by outboard amps now.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith

dtel, I, too like Coffee & Chicory; for most of us, it's an aquired taste; we can get New Orleans Food here in some restaurants & groceries....

Difficult to find genuine New Orleans style French Bread in Groceries...so, every time I come to pick up some KLIPSCH Speakers off Craig's List, I pick up a dozen, or so, loaves...

I can drink about any kind of coffee, not a big fan of Charbucks... My favorite is the regular Trung Nguyên coffee (not their weasel poop coffee at $3k per kilo). This link on Amazon is about double what I pay at a local asian food store here in Chattanooga. Taste is chocolaty, slightly caramelized flavor, but it's just straight coffee.

http://www.amazon.com/Trung-Nguyen-Vietnamese-coffee-can/dp/B000F17AKC

• Moderators

I was told the chicory was used to stretch the coffee during the depression, sounds reasonable. I like Community New Orleans blend, to me no matter how good the coffee is said to be without chicory it taste flat and weak. I guess I have cheap taste buds although it's the same price as most brands now.

I do love good French bread, we slice it long ways and the kids make pizza with it, it's one of their favorites, can't beat a good po-boy either, my favorite.

Marvel, I wouldn't drink that weasel poop coffee if it were $3 a ton.

I can see where this is going LOL, OK, lets talk coffee!

What a lot of people do not realize is that as a food product, like all food products, when it is cooked (roasted) the clock is ticking. For drinks like Espresso, two weeks is about all you get before the roasted beans are plant food or mulch. The degassing really needs 2 or 3 days until the beans hit their peak, they stay there for about 5 days then slowly go down hill. This is why we never advise anyone buying coffee with a BEST BY or USE BEFORE date, the beans are hopelessly stale long before you bought them as these dates are anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half, much longer than the two weeks that you get from fresh roast! The only way to know how old they are is with a ROASTED ON date, the actual day they were roasted, then is is a simple process to look at the bag, look at todays date and see how long it has been since they were roasted!

Everyone needs a grinder, you need to grind just before brewing, This is not a whirly blade chopper that is sometimes sold as a coffee grinder, you need a good burr grinder. The blade chopper produces everything from dust to boulders. The dust will overextract nearly instantly and the boulders will never give up the goodness inside them, you need a burr grinder.

The reason you need to grind it just before use is that due to the surface area, your ground beans will spoil and be stale in about 15 minutes from the time you grind them. Coffee is a food product and it does spoil. Think of an apple. If you cut it open, in about 15 minutes, the white flesh turns brown right? The same thing is going on with your coffee but because it is brown to start with, you do not see it. Now cut that apple into a thousand small pieces and let them sit for 15 minutes, there are few who would want to eat that rotten apple mush that it has become but hundreds of thousands of people every day, pack that spoiled coffee mush into drip filters and brew something to drink.... yuck!

The time frame for methods other than espresso can go a little longer, perhaps up to a month before the beans are gone, espresso is the hardest thing you can do to the beans to make a drink with, evey little nuance is there to taste. With other methods, they are a bit more forgiving but you can still taste the difference.

Properly roasted coffee should not produce oil, much of the coffee is over roasted and nearly everything from Charbucks is burnt. The darker you roast the beans the more you taste the process and the less you taste the beans, at the point of producing oil, you are well into burning the beans. A city or city + roast is about the limit for the coffee I drink, I want to taste the beans, the flavors, the chocolate, cocoa, lemon, orange, spice flavors. Coffee grown on the same farm but higher or lower in elevation will taste different, let alone from other farms, other soils even other countries, the taste is different for each! Over roasting the beans causes them all to taste like charcoal, at Charbucks, that is good as they can buy lower quality beans, roast the dog poop out of them so they all taste the same then mix 2 oz of "coffee" with 16 oz of milk and suguar, syrup and sprinkels then the buyer of said drink never tastes the coffee that they are supposidly paying for.

Cat poop coffee, nope not going there either. EVEN if it were true about tasting good (I really doubt it) Cevits today are force fed the beans on farms. The TRUE cat poop coffee is supposed to be found in the wild where the Cevits can pick and choose what to eat, supposidly only the choicest and best beans. On a force fed farm, all choice is gone so all you are gettng is poop made with the least expensive beans they can feed the poor Cevits.

French bread, great stuff, by law in France, true french bread is only 4 items Flour, water yeast and sugar. It is regulated to size and shape too. I love to bake and have commercial equipment to make larger batches, I hate to take a full day to make bread from scratch and only get 2 loafs, heck to get a dozen it only takes about an hour more total so go big or go home! LOL. It freezes well so it does not go to waste.

Edited by Cal Blacksmith
  • Like 1

Cat poop coffee, nope not going there either. EVEN if it were true about tasting good (I really doubt it) Cevits today are force fed the beans on farms. The TRUE cat poop coffee is supposed to be found in the wild where the Cevits can pick and choose what to eat, supposedly only the choicest and best beans. On a force fed farm, all choice is gone so all you are getting is poop made with the least expensive beans they can feed the poor Cevits.

That's what the $3k Trung Nguyên coffee does, and why it costs so much.

Their regular coffee is currently about $6 for 15 oz. here. I can go for that. I wish I could get the beans. I have a good acquaintance here who was a roaster until he had to quit for medical reasons. The oils in the beans starts to go rancid very quickly after grinding, so even cheap coffee that you grind fresh can taste good.

I guess we should get back to the regular post, lol.

I run a simple two channel setup for my TV, so I can't help you much about a good pre/pro.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel