Pioneer Elite Receivers

fuzzydog

What makes Pioneer Elite receivers "elite"?

I've been comparing the Elite SC-72 to the regular SC-1323 since Amazon had the latter on sale last Sunday for $599.

They share all the same features, have an identical rear panel, and have the same MSRP of $1300.

The only differences I can discern are a slightly different power rating (130 watts vs 125 watts), the SC-72 is 1.82" longer in depth, and the 72 has "Elite" styling cues.

Of course the "Elite" branded models can only be sold at B&M stores (unless you want to risk no warranty) so you'll have a harder time finding good deals like Amazon had on the 1323.

Is the "Elite" branding just a marketing ploy to protect Best Buy Magnolia's diminishing share of the market?

I'll grant you that the higher end "Elite" models like SC-79 & SC-77 don't currently have equivalent regular Pioneer receiver models.

• Like 1

The major difference I have found between like SC series units (at least older such as my SC-1222) is the Elite look and extra year on warranty. When I looked at my SC-1222 internals compared to the SC-61 on the net, they looked the same other than the Elite had the trigger outputs. I'm not 100% sure this marketing will change.

• Like 1

The major difference I have found between like SC series units (at least older such as my SC-1222) is the Elite look and extra year on warranty. When I looked at my SC-1222 internals compared to the SC-61 on the net, they looked the same other than the Elite had the trigger outputs. I'm not 100% sure this marketing will change.

Ok, the extra year of warranty on Elite branded receivers is another difference, but only if you buy from a B&M store.

• Like 1

seems i recall back in the day the Elites were hand assembled. don't know if thats true today or not

the only thing i found was that they are of higher quality and the gloss black Urushi finish

just read Kuro means black in japanese

love their stuff for 40 yrs now. their gold line spacers and rosewood side panels on receivers and cd players

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

I know one of the differences in the Pioneer kuro displays versus the pioneer elite kuro displays other than some minor spec differences and options in calibration was the fact that the parts involved were handpicked especially the piece of glass chosen for the display. when it goes for the receivers I’m not sure it is the same (I doubt it) but I know I liked my pioneer elite SC55 when I owned it. If the prices were the same id pick the elite if it was a big difference in price id choose the pioneer.

I couldn't find any meaningful difference between the Elite models and the Pioneer "SC" models other than price and warranty. I decided to go with a regular Pioneer unit and bought an extended warranty with some of the savings. Either are great units IMO