Thoughts on 2-Channel System (First Post)

Sojourne

Hey guys,

I've been reading this board off and on for about 10 years with dreams that one day I would have an adequate space and budget to start my desired 2-channel system. Well it appears that day is now upon me as my wife and I will soon be closing on our first house. Also, I finally just had to lay down the law with her and say that I was going to be making this purchase and there's nothing she could do to stop me. Maybe not the right way to go about it, but I apologized and we compromised.

So here is what I plan to purchase in the next few weeks and was hoping to get some feedback on these components.

*Heresy III (2) [Walnut]

*Marantz PM6005

*Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

*Marantz RX101 [bluetooth Adapter]

The system will be used exclusively for music sourced from the turntable (primarily) or Spotify (occasionally).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums. I wanted a pair of Heresy for about 30 years, give or take a few years. Never could justify the cost until I found a very nice pair of Heresy II, as in my profile photo, for much, much less on Craig's List Pre-auditioned.

If you are in the States, look there first.

Of course, NEW is BETTER, & if I live long enough, I'll buy a NEW Pair of Each Heritage Speaker: Heresy III, Cornwall III, La Scala II & Klipschorn.

Edited by Sancho Panza

I would buy a vintage Marantz 22 or 2300 series receiver (sold on Ebay daily), and a pair of HII's.

For Marantz vintage, the last 3 digit tell the wattage at 8ohms less 200. In other words, a 2225 is 25 watts x2. A 2325 is 125 watts x2. The vintage Marantz receivers are the best looking receivers out there. Good WAF, but manly at the same time.

I wouldn't bother with a sub, unless you are listening to hip-hop or organ music, etc. Those Heresy's do a darn good job.

• Like 1

I have had a few older Marantz 22xx receivers with my Heresy they will drive them like a champ... anything over 1/2 volume is insane. I just have a airport express plugged into the back of the receiver with a 3 mm x RCA so I can stream to the Tape 1 input on the receiver.

The only bad thing I can say about Heresy is they totally lack bass. Get a separate sub or step up to Forte or Cornwalls if you like rock.

I have had a few older Marantz 22xx receivers with my Heresy they will drive them like a champ... anything over 1/2 volume is insane. I just have a airport express plugged into the back of the receiver with a 3 mm x RCA so I can stream to the Tape 1 input on the receiver.

The only bad thing I can say about Heresy is they totally lack bass. Get a separate sub or step up to Forte or Cornwalls if you like rock.

They have plenty of bass, as do the Heresy II series. Of course, I'm happy with the bass on my La Scalas... :rolleyes:

Bruce

Thanks for all of the replies. I took the advice and found a Marantz 2270 on craigslist, 5 miles away, for $300 and in pretty good condition. Think I might just go pick it up tonight.

In regards to a sub, I plan on staying away from it if possible. I previously owned a pair of Heresy's and enjoyed them without it. Anyways, don't think the wife would go for it.

So checking craigslist, just stumbled across a MAC 1900 for around $650, fully serviced by McIntosh Authorized Repair in N/Mint condition.

If you had the choice between the Marantz 2270 (Good Condition) [70 watts / channel] - $300 and the McIntosh MAC 1900 (N/Mint) [55 watts / channel] - $650 to pair with the Heresy's, which would you choose? Both include original cabinets.

Edited by Sojourne

OP, welcome....couple things,you cant beat Mac, you just cant, theres a reason why its twice as much as everything else, and with heresy's or any other heritage you don't need many watts, better to have good clean watts, jump on that Mac if you can, specially if its been serviced by a certified Mac dealer. Also anybody that claims heresy sound great without a sub hasn't tried one, I have a set I listened to for years, mostly classical jazz and blues, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and scored a used Outlaw sub for 300, less than half price. I was completely blown away at the difference, so much so that I found another matching Outlaw, pushing this system with a pioneer sx850, with the duel subs it sounds as good as my chorus ll"s and that's saying something. Now, what you need to know is most subs are for ht and don't have the line level hookups you need with the old ss gear, you need a sub designed for music only, this is where a lot of folks go wrong and get a bad taste about subs, a ht sub wont keep up with music.....Roost

OP, welcome....couple things,you cant beat Mac, you just cant

Pretty strong statement on the Mac. Very good equipment overall but there are a few dogs there.

Heresys actually sound very good if placed on the floor. I had 2 pairs in storage one on top of the other. I tried the pair on the bottom and they sounded much better than the ones on top (read balanced) and thought the Heresy I's were better speakers. Then I switched them and put the H2's on the bottom and they sounded better.

I think the OP wants H3's. Go for it. I have never heard them, but they are supposed to be redesigned and not need floor placement. At $1300 or so it will be very hard to find new speakers that will do better and you can keep the H3's for the next 50 years. Try that with garden variety Best Buy speakers.

Great information guys. I do plan to use the Heresy III's on the floor. My only decision now is to decide between the Cherry or Walnut finish. I remember that I had a cherry finish on some KB 3.1's that I used to own which seemed very dark. The cherry finish on the new heritage models seems much lighter without too much red. Thoughts?

im a walnut guy myself.

OP, welcome....couple things,you cant beat Mac, you just cant, theres a reason why its twice as much as everything else, and with heresy's or any other heritage you don't need many watts, better to have good clean watts, jump on that Mac if you can, specially if its been serviced by a certified Mac dealer. Also anybody that claims heresy sound great without a sub hasn't tried one, I have a set I listened to for years, mostly classical jazz and blues, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and scored a used Outlaw sub for 300, less than half price. I was completely blown away at the difference, so much so that I found another matching Outlaw, pushing this system with a pioneer sx850, with the duel subs it sounds as good as my chorus ll"s and that's saying something. Now, what you need to know is most subs are for ht and don't have the line level hookups you need with the old ss gear, you need a sub designed for music only, this is where a lot of folks go wrong and get a bad taste about subs, a ht sub wont keep up with music.....Roost

SO MUCH BAD ADVICE HERE!

please tell me what qualifies as a HT sub? and why HT subs will not keep up with music?

You never mentioned the genre you listen to, but it appears you are comfortable without the last octave and a half which is really only required for piano, pipe organ, "whump" from electric rock, and such. Never miss it on acoustic guitar, chamber music (unless with string bass) and a lot of over material.

Your original list is fine, as well as the change you've made. I must admit I hear very little difference in SS amps so any good build of quality would work for me.

Otherwise, I agree with the guys on Heresy II as a "best buy." Significantly less than a III and you really have to be seriously in the super hearing group to appreciate the difference.

Welcome to this place. Since you've been lurking, you don't need to be told we're pretty straight, and pretty civil here. Lot's of opinions, but few who claim to be THE AUTHORITY. We leave that pretty much to PWK...

Dave