How necessary is a subwoofer?

JiminSTL

• Moderators

Are you by any chance getting the klf-30's here in Kansas City? If so you can swing by my place in the way home and hear what some different subs sound like. I have the four 18's downstairs and two tapped horn subs upstairs.

You literally can just "swing by" Scrappy's house, you can simply drive by his house and experience his subs and never leave your car. :D

• Like 2

Are you by any chance getting the klf-30's here in Kansas City? If so you can swing by my place in the way home and hear what some different subs sound like. I have the four 18's downstairs and two tapped horn subs upstairs.

You literally can just "swing by" Scrappy's house, you can simply drive by his house and experience his subs and never leave your car. :D

HA! Love it

Scrappydue,

Thanks for your very kind offer! I really would like to do that. The problem is that I cannot seem to get a response from the seller. I replied yesterday afternoon, asked a few questions, made it clear that I want to purchase the speakers. Have not heard anything yet. Similar thing happened about a month ago. The same speakers (I presume, because the photo was the same) were Craigslist posted. I replied to his listing, but heard nothing. Perhaps he is a morning person and today will be different . . . .

Do love the sound of my KLF 20s, and can only drool over what the 30s must do.

I have heard many systems that sound great without a subwoofer & many systems that have a sub that sound like crap. Its all about personal taste.

And vice versa... We are talking audiophools here, and it's hard to imagine a denizen of this forum running a system that "sounded like crap." But with the exception of a handful of extremely large and expensive loudspeakers a full range system has to have a sub to be "high fidelity."

2 subs are only needed when the crossover is in the low mid bass where there remains some level of directionality. I defy anyone to tell without looking where the 32' pipes in a pipe organ are located from the sound alone. At those frequencies, it's non-directional. Those who contest this are only those with crossovers in the low mid bass where it is true.

Dave

2 subs are also needed to smooth room response out. Unless you have the perfect room where everyone's seat is perfect response.

No argument, but I've found that the exception rather than the rule. I trust mine, and others, ears on that. If the image is good and there is no directionality to the bass I don't care what the instruments read.

Dave

• Moderators

Dave, I believe what scrappy is trying to say by smoothing out bass response is that in most rooms, if you have one sub and walk around the room, you will hear stronger bass in some areas and little and very little to almost no bass in others. This is very easy to notice when using a frequency test CD. This was true when I had my single Velodyne HGS15. Main seating was great, back rows was great. Front left and right seats were mediocre. Adding a second HGS15 allowed for smooth bass in the front left and right seats.

I hear you Youthman. Valid point. However, I'd not want to have to put another 5'X3'X1.5' horn loaded sub in my listening room to add a couple of peripheral seats, nor would I want (IMHO) to compromise an all horn system with a couple of non-horn subs for the same reason. :D

In my case, the sub is front near center so it isn't an issue anyway.

OK, I say "is," I mean will be as soon as we get the formica on it and get it up the stairs.

But in the past I've done the same thing and never had directionality issues from any normal seating points.

Dave

nor would I want (IMHO) to compromise an all horn system with a couple of non-horn subs for the same reason. :D

Dave

I agree with you here, why mate a distortion box sub with a nice set of horns.

Is that not the reason we use horns in the first place, to remove much of the distortion ?

Seamless transition from woofer to subwoofer is what most of us are after.

Edited by jason str

That's why I am so in love with Carl's work. Acoustically seamless, like God intended

Actually Dave, there were horns and direct radiating subs in that system. It sounds like crap. Please refrain from expounding on the virtues of anything other than horn loaded subs or the uneducated may get the wrong idea. Thank you.