Volume of Individual Speakers

babadono

Hi All,

I am relatively new to HT having just set my first one up over the past year and a half and I have a question. I currently have a Marantz AVR which I got as part of a package deal when I bought my speakers. I run Audyssey and it supposedly sets everything up. But what if i don't want the crowd noise in the stadium of Superbowl to be so loud? As far as I can figure the only way to turn down the volume of the rear or side surrounds is to go back into setup and play test tones through the speakers and adjust. This is inconvenient to do on the fly when you have guests. It would never have occurred to me that I would not be able to turn certain speakers up or down in a system like this. Does anybody's AVR let them adjust levels on the fly with actual program material going through?

babadono

• Like 1

As far as I can figure the only way to turn down the volume of the rear or side surrounds is to go back into setup and play test tones through the speakers and adjust. This is inconvenient to do on the fly when you have guests. It would never have occurred to me that I would not be able to turn certain speakers up or down in a system like this. Does anybody's AVR let them adjust levels on the fly with actual program material going through?

My NAD pre/pro remote allows for "on the fly" volume adjusting of my surrounds, center, and sub. Controls are at bottom of remote.

Billx745T785HD-r_1.jpeg

Edited by willland

As far as I can figure the only way to turn down the volume of the rear or side surrounds is to go back into setup and play test tones through the speakers and adjust. This is inconvenient to do on the fly when you have guests. It would never have occurred to me that I would not be able to turn certain speakers up or down in a system like this. Does anybody's AVR let them adjust levels on the fly with actual program material going through?

My NAD pre/pro remote allows for "on the fly" volume adjusting of my surrounds, center, and sub. Controls are at bottom of remote.

Billx745T785HD-r_1.jpeg

Kinda what I would have expected, or at least a menu selectable volume control.

Listen to the game in stereo mode when it gets too annoying. For that matter, just cycle through the listening modes available in your AVR, and settle on one that doesn't have all the immersion surrounds.

Can you tell me how to mute the sportscasters but leave the game sounds on? That's what somebody needs to invent. :)

Listen to the game in stereo mode when it gets too annoying. For that matter, just cycle through the listening modes available in your AVR, and settle on one that doesn't have all the immersion surrounds.

Can you tell me how to mute the sportscasters but leave the game sounds on? That's what somebody needs to invent. :)

No, but I used to watch NASCAR while listening to Country music. Drove the guests crazy, but what the heck.

I didn't invite em. :D

John

Disconnect the Center channel speaker!

A lot of avr's will let you adjust the speakers volume on the fly. What model do you have? This info may help others advise you.

It's a SR7007. Thanks Derrick.

I looked thru the manual and all I found were the different modes. That may be your best options. It is a nice avr with every feature you could want except changing the channel levels easily.

You get a beer if that works. I'm serious.

• Like 1

You get a beer if that works. I'm serious.

Mustang Guy,

I would think that would cut out at least 90% of the announcer's voices out of the mix. I was going to suggest it if Sancho hadn't beat me to it. Now where's my beer? :)

But seriously thanks to all for all the replies. I was only using the SuperBlow(out) as an example. Sometimes I find the effects channels on movies a bit too much also. I do like the ambience and effects otherwise why would I have set up a 7.2 system? But to my way of thinking control of the volume of individual channels is fundamental and how this gets lost in a manufacturers development of a product is curious to me. Of course maybe there is a way to do what i am trying to do but it sure is not intuitive. In the future this will be on my list of features to look out for when it comes time to upgrade/replace.

babadono

• 3 weeks later...

On my old Pioneer 9130 there was a surround mode called "all stereo" that worked well for sports as it had the game action prominent and the announcers over center channel, but diminished ambient crowd noise mixed into the rear channels were removed.