Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good morning to you too JL................another Monday for us NON pensioners (as the English would say ^_^ )

Yeah, the HEAT is moving into the east this week.........we will be approaching 100's for a while and that is with LOTS of humidity !!, so it will be bad, hard on the elderly and of course, kids and pets.... :wacko: ...

Enjoy your day my friends.......

........Gary......... :emotion-29:

• Like 7

Morning forum buds.  Good luck with the Honda Todd and with the wallet retrieval Gary. 

Getting things done around the house as my friend from the Hollywood Hills is arriving today.  Cleaned the frig good and stocked with beer.  LF made guacamole for us and cookies.

Mowed the lawn, washed the car, washed Jake.  Just about done :blink:

For those of you still chasing the cheese.....go out there and make us proud.   The rest of you at ease!

Cheers Ladies :emotion-44: and Gents

• Like 6

Mornin' all. Gotta get caught up on the 'likes'.....been off a day or two. Hope everyone is well. Mostly working outside, swimming with granddaughter, and entertaining. BBQ yesterday with mesquite grilled burgers and lamb kebobs (with pineapple). Turned out pretty good.

Will try to stay in better touch this week.

• Like 7

Morning guys.....Just working on 1st cup.....slept in a bit, Getting some rest from that long weekend. 

Will be rolling out with 2nd cup to go,,,,gotta full of fun waiting for me....I had it out with the used car guys last week. Man those guys are something. I've been in the auto business for almost 30 years...and those SOB's are true  a** holes at times...For the most part we do get along....but sometimes I've had it with there crapp....it's a long story....I will say this....I've had my shop for 17 years, I know every other shop in town that they have done business with and they all ask me..."how do you stand those guys"??..It's all about them...

Well Todd sorry to hear about your Accord...some of those coolant lines/hose's are tough to get to in the back of that car..But that's still no reason to not call you about the car..At my shop, like I said it's just me and the wife and sometimes I get behind but I will call my customers and tell them whats up. Most all my customer understand cuz I am a "one" man shop. I have customers that will drop off just a oil change with me all day cuz they know how crazy the shop will get.

Alot of people really have no clue how hard it is to work on today's cars and run a shop. They want the "fast food way" of auto service and that's not my shop....One of my favorite things is...(this has happend a few times)...someone will say "your oil changes are to much money...($42.41 5qts).... I can go to...where ever...and get it done for...what ever...  I say "OK" have a good day....A few months goes by maybe a year. They come back to my shop...they tell me I have a oil leak, can I check it out?? Sure I can...put it up on the lift and what do I find....a stripped oil pan.....I tell them what's up...they ask me how this happens?? I tell them cuz you go to places that does not give a shitt about your car. I tell them I have customers that have been bringing there cars to me for 200K miles and there oil pans are not stripped. They pay me my $42.41 and thank me...Now I tell them I hope they have saved about $475 cuz thats what it going to take to replace that pan.... yea it's crazy..

well gotta roll.... a good day to all..

MKP :-)

• Like 8

We would go over to Juarez Mexico quite a bit and drink the mezcal....we would buy a bunch of miniatures of the mezcal they would all have the worms in them. I think I must of ate 20+ worms one night......oh yea good ole El Paso.

Two biggest bargains in Juarez were mescal and Mexican vanilla.  Two bucks or less for a fifth of either.  Fifth of vanilla lasted and lasted.  We gave a lot away to friends rebottled in the old Grolsch beer bottles with the enclosable tops.  Other place that comes to mind was the Florida Café over there...awesome.  Also the supermercados.  Bought a lot of groceries there, as getting in and out was so easy at the time. 

One of my big regrets is not buying what I now believe to have been an authentic American Roman-type short sword from the 1840s or before.  It wasn't much, but I had doubts at the time and really wasn't thinking straight.  It was worth what they were asking even if a phony...seems like it was 20 bucks or so.

One more thing...can't recall exactly where but there was what may have been the original Pancho's Mexican Buffet down in the city close to the river in a barrio.  One dollar, all you can eat.  If you've been to the modern equivalent you may go "yuk."  But this stuff was incredibly good. 

Dave

• Like 7

• Moderators

Been up and at it since about 6:30 a.m.  My brother, who lived in Alaska for the past 20 or so years, decided he and his wife were going to go "off the grid".  Seems they had accumulated quite a few firearms and crossing the Canadian and US borders could be a nightmare for them.  He shipped four AR 15s to me to avoid hassle and possible confiscation at the border crossings, as well as problems in states that they are illegal, California for starters.   Went this morning to retrieve them from the Federal Firearm Licensed dealer. I can't think of anything, at the moment, more stressful than driving with four AR 15s on the backseat of your SUV. I'm sure the state and local law enforcement would have made a big deal about them if I had been stopped for even a minor traffic violation.  Needless to say, I stayed well within the posted speed limits for the thirty mile trip back home.  Made it home with no incidents!  Eagerly awaiting seeing my brother. Haven't seen him in almost forty years. Should be here within the next month.  Can not possibly express my emotions about the upcoming reunion with him.

Just to clarify, he's travelling the US in his RV with his Jeep in tow!!!!!

Edited by dtel's wife
  • Like 8

Morning Gang

Made it till 2am last night, trying to switch around working hours, sleep during the heat of the day, cave work @ night.

Let's see, what is on the agenda  for today, Ahh breakfast, that's it.

Prep Mr Crow parts for paint, order a few more goodies on the bay.

post-57941-0-44660000-1438007717_thumb.j

• Like 9

Alot of people really have no clue how hard it is to work on today's cars and run a shop. They want the "fast food way" of auto service and that's not my shop....One of my favorite things is...(this has happend a few times)...someone will say "your oil changes are to much money...($42.41 5qts).... I can go to...where ever...and get it done for...what ever... I say "OK" have a good day....A few months goes by maybe a year. They come back to my shop...they tell me I have a oil leak, can I check it out?? Sure I can...put it up on the lift and what do I find....a stripped oil pan.....I tell them what's up...they ask me how this happens?? I tell them cuz you go to places that does not give a shitt about your car. I tell them I have customers that have been bringing there cars to me for 200K miles and there oil pans are not stripped. They pay me my $42.41 and thank me...Now I tell them I hope they have saved about $475 cuz thats what it going to take to replace that pan.... yea it's crazy..

We get the ones that say how much to fix my check engine light?  They've already replaced every part under the sun to the tune of several hundred dollars yet only come here as a last resort because we're "too expensive".  They'd rather throw parts at something than pay for someone competent to actually diagnose their problem.

• Like 10

I can't think of anything, at the moment, more stressful than driving with four AR 15s on the backseat of your SUV.

OK, here's just how non-gun oriented I am.  Couldn't remember that model AR or why the police would care.  :o

Dave

• Like 2

Morning, Ok technically afternoon all,

Spent the last three days hula hoeing and weed whacking. Mostly tumbleweed, the scourge of the earth! :angry:  Gotta get on it before it goes to seed. :angry: Do any of you know of a chemical I can apply to areas that will not allow anything to grow? RoundUp only works after schit starts growing. I've seen some products that are like $30 for enough for 250sq ft. Jeesh I need like 50,000 sq ft worth. Anybody?

• Like 3

• Moderators

I can't think of anything, at the moment, more stressful than driving with four AR 15s on the backseat of your SUV.

OK, here's just how non-gun oriented I am.  Couldn't remember that model AR or why the police would care.  :o

Dave

I don't know either, but it would get there attention I guess ? They look to have many aftermarket parts added on, and really nice scopes.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

Been up and at it since about 6:30 a.m.  My brother, who lived in Alaska for the past 20 or so years, decided he and his wife were going to go "off the grid".  Seems they had accumulated quite a few firearms and crossing the Canadian and US borders could be a nightmare for them.  He shipped four AR 15s to me to avoid hassle and possible confiscation at the border crossings, as well as problems in states that they are illegal, California for starters.   Went this morning to retrieve them from the Federal Firearm Licensed dealer. I can't think of anything, at the moment, more stressful than driving with four AR 15s on the backseat of your SUV. I'm sure the state and local law enforcement would have made a big deal about them if I had been stopped for even a minor traffic violation.  Needless to say, I stayed well within the posted speed limits for the thirty mile trip back home.  Made it home with no incidents!  Eagerly awaiting seeing my brother. Haven't seen him in almost forty years. Should be here within the next month.  Can not possibly express my emotions about the upcoming reunion with him.

Where did they live in AK?  That gun ratio seems to fit the avg ownership up here.  :-)

• Like 5

• Moderators

Where did they live in AK?  That gun ratio seems to fit the avg ownership up here.  :-)

I think around Homer, AK.

• Like 5

• Moderators

They look to have many aftermarket parts added on, and really nice scopes.

You didn't get how far off I was...what use is a scope on a loudspeaker???

Dave

Ah now I get it. even had a pair many years ago and still didn't put it together.

The scope is pinpoint the listening position. :o  :P    

• Like 5