Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Well we got back last night, went well, lake house is 90% done. A little more trim and some light fixtures, the new furniture is there and looks good. I started on the log handrails. when we go back in a couple of weeks I will add some old barn wood to the side of the steps and up the connecting wall. 

Carl, the Cabo is very good, so good it was gone the first night. :blink:

Well a lot has gone on here, anniversaries, new houses, a long term bathroom remodel :huh: and BSM getting his pic with another celebrity plus hurricanes and I know I am forgetting a lot.

It's good to be back home and here.  

Edited by dtel
  • Like 9

Good news Dave!

Jason.....I have heart pine as well.  Sawed from old timbers.  Finished them with satin polyurethane.  Recoated once in the last 27 years. 

You are on a roll with help from the neighbors.  How are all the innards....plumbing, electrical, foundation, roof, hvac?

yes...these are the original floors that were built in 1931......not sure what kind of shape they are in until we get the carpet out.....but plan is to sand and then use satin poly as you did....as long as they are in decent shape.

Majority of the Plumbing was redone about 10 years ago....as was the roof. HVAC is about 15 years old (Carrier 2ton unit) but was just serviced last year and given a clean bill of health. It's built on a cinder block crawl space foundation that's in good shape.

Electrical needs some work. Will most likely install a new panel and update the outlets. The actual wiring was redone in the 90's and is in decent shape.

Overall the house has solid "bones"......but bathroom needs to be gutted.....old cast iron tub leaks and has rotted the floor....so will be ripping everything out and replacing flooring (hope that the joists are OK).

Kitchen...we will sand and repaint the original Oak cabinets and replace the countertops (may try my hand at concrete tops) as well as all the appliances. We have a gas GE Profile 5 burner dual oven stove that we will install that's been in storage for a few years....we are both excited to be going back to gas.

Should be a fun process....and everyone is excited to help out with the projects.

My current "lawn boy" (our 13yr old) is really excited about getting a riding mower (about 3 of the 6.5 acres are cleared and need mowing).

• Like 9

Morning Gang

Well everything is "Wet" around these parts.

Funny they are calling this second day of "Mist", Rain and 70.

Friday the skeeters will be lovin the breeding @85.

Im thinkin Cosco run, cookies/coffee/polish dog and lets just get that Duggans wile we are out.

For those that may not know of the decision the wife and i made yesterday, the "Spare Pair" of Mcm 4ways, are up for sale @$2K and will be listed in Garage sale section as soon as i feel like it.

Wife agrees with me as far as, if we have no where to run them, pass them on.

post-57941-0-71180000-1443714337_thumb.j

• Like 8

Welcome back dtel!

Mark,,,,$2K delivered?

The wife and i would have NO problem with that, however there would be a "Delivery" fee of $500, and a fuel surcharge of $1000 and of course trip Lodging/Pubs/Food/fireworks/winerys/Moonshine and a stop by Tims warehouse in St Louis =$1000, so let's just round up it up @$5K delivered...... :D

post-57941-0-01020000-1443725442_thumb.j

• Like 8

Today was the first day of the season where I had to wear a jacket to work this am, I am depressed. Keeping one eye on Hurricane Joaquin, hopefully it spins out into the ocean. our visit from Sandy is still a little too fresh in my memory. Gale force rain & winds forecast for the area this weekend, will have to tie down, strap to or move into the basement anything capable of taking flight. I had just paid to have 3 white pines cut down along with 1 old oak tree last week. Not sure they would have made it through a category 3 storm, better safe than sorry.

• Like 5

• Moderators
BigStewMan, on 01 Oct 2015 - 3:03 PM, said:

Elden...we are lost without you, and nobody behaved.

I believe the behaved part but the rest is :pwk_bs:

I leave for a dozen days and you are hanging out with two girls named Ann and Nancy, I know things like this just happen to you, it's the hat I tell you, must be ? :P

• Like 9

BigStewMan, on 01 Oct 2015 - 3:03 PM, said:

Elden...we are lost without you, and nobody behaved.

I believe the behaved part but the rest is :pwk_bs:

I leave for a dozen days and you are hanging out with two girls named Ann and Nancy, I know things like this just happen to you, it's the hat I tell you, must be ? :P

well, it doesn’t always suck being me.

Glad you and your bride made it home safely. 

• Like 4

Hey Mark--was thinking of you earlier today.  Left Irvine at 2:15, hit the 405 and it’s nearly gridlock.  Creeping along in traffic and said aloud, “I hate living here.”  Then i thought, i need to tell Mark to keep giving me a kick in the backside every now & then until I move.  Too many people here these days.

I just ate; but, read you were waiting for pizza…now i’m craving pizza.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 7