Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators

Folks shouldn't have any trouble gripping that handrail. :)

That's true, I asked if they want the bark peeled off and they said they liked it like that. :huh:  It's very strong, it has a bunch of 6" lag bolts into the side of the stairs. 

One day i will get around to putting threads and risers to finish off the stairs, now that i found a local sawmill guy.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 7

You are correct. Time is money and very few shops are going to troubleshoot to component level. I spent over 20 year in electronics from audio to satellite tracking. I have worked on through hole parts and surface mount. With surface mount good magnification is a must and while you can use a solder iron, hot air is the way to go. Here is a picture of my work bench at home. My trusty Leica microscope serves me well, especially as I get older and my eyes aren't what they used to be. It's all about the tools, if you want the job to be easier.

workbench2015.jpg

Wow, that space is neat, as in organized and clean, as well as neat, as in cool.

Regarding hot air soldering, the surface mount components on my new TPA3118 Wiener amp (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/276508-wiener-group-buy-2-stereo-pbtl-editions-available.html) were soldered in a toaster oven in Nova Scotia.

Now if I can steal enough time to hook it up and test it prior to building an enclosure.

post-6832-0-12520000-1447797611_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-17480000-1447797619_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 6

You are correct. Time is money and very few shops are going to troubleshoot to component level. I spent over 20 year in electronics from audio to satellite tracking. I have worked on through hole parts and surface mount. With surface mount good magnification is a must and while you can use a solder iron, hot air is the way to go. Here is a picture of my work bench at home. My trusty Leica microscope serves me well, especially as I get older and my eyes aren't what they used to be. It's all about the tools, if you want the job to be easier.

workbench2015.jpg

Wow, that space is neat, as in organized and clean, as well as neat. as in cool.

Regarding hot air soldering, the surface mount components on my new TPA3118 Wiener amp (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/276508-wiener-group-buy-2-stereo-pbtl-editions-available.html) were soldered in a toaster oven in Nova Scotia.

Now if I can steal enough time to hook it up and test it prior to building an enclosure.

Diyaudio is great, i just ordered two edcor pc mount transformers 600ohm/15k ohm for a project that has been evolving over there. Once thepc board group buy comes up, i will be on it.

Next is to build a power supply producing 24/-24 rails.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I keep catching myself asking questions about this world we are inhabiting, Problem is I cant see anything Good.  I know it is a matter of perspective and mood. How the Hell do you get passed this..............Knowing its perspective and mood does not seem to help me. It just feels like a constant pounding on the senses. Turn on the news you are inundated with, Murder, Rape, Assault, Neglect.  A known Drug Addict with a record of domestic Violence Throws her 5 month old daughter in a creek in SC, Cops in Miss Kill a 6 year old boy firing 18 rounds into the vehicle he is riding in with his father, Terror attacks in France 1 assailant a known Syrian Refugee, & our President still bringing in Syrian Refugees, Cop in Ill. Kills self and sets it up to look like he was murdered, Cop in SC shoots man running away in the back killing him, School shootings, man murders 2 reporters on national television, The List goes on and On and ON and ON 

What the Hell is happening, are there no morals anymore. How do you guys / gals stay sane and at least relatively Happy.  I am really at a loss here I find myself thinking some crazy Schiit from time to time

If it were not for Joey and Jacob I would literally be at my wits end, I fear you may hear a very bad story about me if it were not for those boys.  As much as I love them It is not fair for me to depend on them for my sanity, The way things are going I am not sure I can keep myself centered much longer even with them here to see as my bright side of life 

What keeps you centered ?

Sorry for such a dark sided post, I guess things are piling up and I needed to vent a bit.................Tomorrow Hump Day I get to go to another Dr. so they can contradict my surgeon and my pain management Dr and tell RRB I am fine and should go back to work all to keep from paying me a benefit I have paid for over the last 32 years

• Like 1

My family and my religion.

It also helps that I have not been personally affected by any of this.  It's selfish to feel that way but I'm sure I'd be more up in arms If I (or my family) was directly in harms way.

I'm sure that the stress in your life is compounding things for you.  I hope things look up.

• Like 7

Joe, remember that MOST people are good and do what they are supposed to do. All those good people don't make the nightly news. Our society seems to really scream and blare out about the few crazies around us. Think about how many people live in the good ole USA (it's millions) doing good and treating each other with respect. The problems you cited involve just a few people in the US. I think its about perspective. Easy to get caught up in the bad when mostly things are really good.

• Like 5

My family and my religion.

It also helps that I have not been personally affected by any of this.  It's selfish to feel that way but I'm sure I'd be more up in arms If I (or my family) was directly in harms way.

I'm sure that the stress in your life is compounding things for you.  I hope things look up.

Can I ask how you found a church that you felt was not just there for the $$...............It seems to me everytime I take a look at Church I see the basket more than anything, Dont get me wrong I am not bashing religion I am sure there are good churches still doing great things but how do you navigate that ??

• Like 1

Religion gets threads locked but I think I can navigate the question fairly diplomatically.

I searched for a church home in the religion that my parents raised me.  Coincidentally my wife was actually raised in the same faith.  There were only a few churches of that denomination in our area.  We visited them and settled on the one that we liked the best.  It was a combination of enjoying the sermons and the person delivering them.  I've always known that churches need donations from the congregants to keep the doors open.  It's just a fact.  I've always felt blessed and have no issues giving back to where I thought everything came from in the first place.   

• Like 8

Religion gets threads locked but I think I can navigate the question fairly diplomatically.

I searched for a church home in the religion that my parents raised me.  Coincidentally my wife was actually raised in the same faith.  There were only a few churches of that denomination in our area.  We visited them and settled on the one that we liked the best.  It was a combination of enjoying the sermons and the person delivering them.  I've always known that churches need donations from the congregants to keep the doors open.  It's just a fact.  I've always felt blessed and have no issues giving back to where I thought everything came from in the first place.   

Thanks Carl, I understand about the religion issues and appreciate your responses, It is not my intention to start that discussion here and feel free to remove the couple posts if you feel it prudent I already have an answer   :)

• Like 2

JL I know you are right, it just seems my mind wont make that adjustment when all I hear is BS, all I see is BS....................I honestly feel like I need to take TV out of my life but thats not fair to the others in my life and I honestly dont want to live like an ostrich (Head in the Sand) 

• Like 1

Hi Joe and the gang ... like Carl, i keep sane (yeah, i know that’s up for argument) by prayer and i don’t expect anything better from this world. I’m saddened by what goes on; but, not at all surprised.  

Had to cut my week-long business trip short and am back home today.  Up in the mountains at a conference.  2 hours from the beach; but, there was snow on the ground and it was 29 degrees last night.  After lunch today, had to use my Asthma inhaler, which speeds up my heart.  This time it also triggered a MAJOR episode of pre-ventricular contractions--a new condition that i’ve been blessed with.  Took one of the heart pills that the doctor gave me; but, it didn’t stop them.  After about 90 minutes, my chest was starting to hurt a little (from the POUNDING heart or building anxiety or both?) and i was starting to get concerned, so i decided to drive home and check in with the cardiologist in the morning. When they first diagnosed this (last June) i had some heart tests done including a nuclear stress test on the treadmill--all checked out okay and no blockage.  But, still too new of a condition for me to be able to self-diagnose when it’s too serious to ignore and when it’s just a nuisance. 

• Like 4

Steve, I hear ya man I went through some episodes years ago and had all the tests all the your fine's from the Docs  none of that helped back then, I have since learned to tell myself to calm down for that anyway

Sancho, I stand corrected, I would give you a like for correcting me but the subject makes me sick in my heart  :D

Chuck PM responded to,  Just letting it out and talking here has boosted my morale a bit Thanks Guys

• Like 4