Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

OMG..... It lives..... Running good... Gotta roll out just checking in...... MKP :-)

It's not very encouraging when a mechanic says this after putting an engine back together.  :o

Not that you don't know what your doing but make it sound like there was no doubt, no reason whatsoever for it not to be fine. :D ....................you would never make it in the used car business,..... which is a good thing.  

Glad to hear it ran fine, now get on that next job  :)

lol lol...

The OMG thing was......it's taken me for ever to get this damn thing running....... Ya know I have truly forgotten how many engine rebuilds and overhauls I have done in the last 30 years..... But I would be a liar if I said.......right before I turn that key to start it I didn't have some thoughts running in my head.....Like.... did I torque that.... did I do this...and I kinds of stuff :wacko: .....

But the Pilot started up in less than 7 seconds of cranking....and I had oil pressure in less that 2 seconds of it running..... and it did not miss a beat ;) It sounded good.... valves are quite.... nothing leaking out of it...(that's a good thing :P )..... It just felt right... I got it operating temp and just drove it outside.... I'll button it all up later in the week. The BOSS got in it while it was on the lift running and said "yea I can do a Honda Pilot"

The craziest build I did for a Honda was years ago... This young guy came to shop with a 99 Civic Si.... it had a burnt valve in one of the cylinders. He already had a turbo on it... He told me he wanted it fixed and wanted to run 20lbs of boost :o....... My next words to him was something like this.......If you are not looking to spend at least  $10k on just the engine I won't even start thing  about this build for you! he said he's got the money and wants it done...... So me and this young man sat down a got a plan to build this engine. I got alot of help from Z-10 racing these guys build crazy boosted Honda engines. They do some wild block sleeving with AEBS sleevs... I won't bore you with all the  :pwk_bs: ..... but this thing was put together right.

Now the kid had the money for the engine but not the up-graded turbo he wanted. So the plan was I'll build the engine and later we can put the big turbo on it. Cool...

Well the day came that I was going to start this engine..... all the work of building this thing....plasti gauging bearings..... filing piston ring gap... adjusting valves.... just making sure I dotted my "i's" and crossed my "t's"......... man I was shitting razor blades..... Finally I said to my self....." just do it!!...... My heart was pounding...I turned that key and it fired right up.... sounding good...... took it out for a test drive to break it in..... yea it was good..... Now it wasn't that fast cuz the engine was built with lower compression pistons for a big turbo..... I was really looking forward for this guy to come back to the shop with his turbo kit......

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh the "A"-hole ended up selling the car about 6 months later.......what a tool...... so I never got to see how fast this Civic was :mad: .. But hey I got my Money :wink:

Later....

MKP :-) 

• Like 5

• Moderators
before I turn that key to start it I didn't have some thoughts running in my head.....Like.... did I torque that.... did I do this...and I kinds of stuff  .....

I was just kidding, there is so much that can go wrong I don't blame you, I'm happy when these things start and run on a normal day. I use to play with cars for fun but now I'm just happy when they get me where were going and back, I'm over it. 

You do have to admit with all these parts moving and needing to work together it's pretty amazing they run and are as reliable as they are.  :emotion-21:

• Like 4

First cup done....LF's turn to get the second cup :)

She takes possession of new house Thursday so we will be busy for awhile :unsure:

Good story MKP.

Wolfbane.....instant coffee?  Really? If you are near a Costco buy a bag of Mayorga beans and grind away :)

• Like 5

If I button up an engine late in the day I have to start it before going to bed or I will lay awake all night wondering if I tightened/torqued everything. Drives me crazy thinking about it. Sure is a great relief to hear the darn thing run right too!

• Like 6

Coffee n' Cream Latin Style:

Now that would be different.  Sour cream ?

I don't drink coffee of any type but the wife went through the Colcafe like Sherman through Georgia. It kept her from daily morning visits to Starbucks. Previously I would buy her Juan Valdez Columbian coffee and she prefers the Colcafe.

As to the Mexican sour cream; it is made with a different bacillus then the usual store bought sour cream, tastes much, much better and is unobtainium in my northern world.  :)

• Like 4

• Moderators
I don't drink coffee of any type but the wife went through the Colcafe like Sherman through Georgia. It kept her from daily morning visits to Starbucks.

As long as she liked it, I have never been in a starbucks, I would feel bad drinking a cup of coffee that cost as much as a half pound of coffee at the store, I'm cheap.

I don't like what is called sour cream here and I would think that wouldn't be good in coffee? But if it's different that explains it, i guess we just get use to what is available here.  But in the end as long as she's happy your happy, I know how that works been married 37 years. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
First cup done....LF's turn to get the second cup   She takes possession of new house Thursday so we will be busy for awhile  

So it's been a while it must be OK between you two  :emotion-21:   

How far away is her new house from you, I ask because you may be spending some time over there as everything get's done.

• Like 2

I don't drink coffee of any type but the wife went through the Colcafe like Sherman through Georgia. It kept her from daily morning visits to Starbucks.

As long as she liked it, I have never been in a starbucks, I would feel bad drinking a cup of coffee that cost as much as a half pound of coffee at the store, I'm cheap.

I don't like what is called sour cream here and I would think that wouldn't be good in coffee? But if it's different that explains it, i guess we just get use to what is available here.  But in the end as long as she's happy your happy, I know how that works been married 37 years. 

I should had written more clearly. The sour cream does not go in the coffee. Its for eating as a baked potato or other garnish where you would want sour cream. It just tastes much better than regular sour cream and is unavailable north of the 49th. 

• Like 4

• Moderators
I should had written more clearly. The sour cream does not go in the coffee. Its for eating as a baked potato or other garnish where you would want sour cream. It just tastes much better than regular sour cream and is unavailable north of the 49th

Sorry I got that mixed up, I just put the two together.........and it didn't look good.   :blink:

• Like 4

Where is BigStewMan?

Talked with ChuckAb3 yesterday and he is doing much better.  Baxter is fine too :)

Heard from Cal..... he has been real busy and hasn't posted much lately.

No response from my buddy Zako or from Joe.  Heard from minermark and don't expect him to return but you never know.

So much about outreach......what's up with you guys? 

LF closes on her house tomorrow and she is in a tizzy with things to be done. She has made a lot of progress getting utilities switched over and contractors lined up.  Speaking of contractors....I think the building recession is over.....everyone is busy.  Called the roofer who roofed my house for an estimate on LF's and he whined about how busy he was.  Guess he forgot the lesson of the last building boom and later decline :wacko:

Going to have to think seriously about doing Atkins again.  Been eating too many blueberry pancakes :o

I recall Mark Deneen was looking at different diets....wonder how that's going?

All for now Gents....

• Like 10

Blueberry pancakes! You are a wise man tar! Enjoying cup one, reading a little before the kids get up and I head to work. Hump day already, I suppose that's a good thing. I've given up on this baseball season as my beloved Braves are... well, just google train wreck, they're right there. Enjoy the day!

• Like 7