Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Not the greatest photos since it's kind of dark and mysterious down deep inside my smoker drum....but these were definitely the best ribs of the summer so far.  After a lot of years of doing this, I'm a firm believer in a few things about my ribs....

I only use "St. Louis cut" spare ribs, which I believe have more flavor than back ribs

I always remove the silver skin on the back of the racks....PIA to do sometimes, but worthwhile.  I've read where other folks are adamant about leaving it on, as they say it helps to retain moisture, but that's BS as far as I'm concerned.....

Rub applied overnight, and covered with plastic wrap in the fridge.  I normally make my own rubs, but like to experiment with the commercial brands too.  

I use Pecan and Sugar Maple mix for my smoking wood.  I will occasionally use Hickory (just a little), or some Oak, but the Pecan and Sugar Maple are my favorite.

Spritz the ribs quickly with apple juice every half hour

I use the 3-2-1 method.  3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours in foil (with a little added apple juice), and then 1 hour (still in foil), wrapped in a heavy brown paper grocery bag, and placed in a cooler.

And last but not least, a good heavy Zinfandel from Ridge Vineyards or Ravenswood.....

post-12530-0-52620000-1468245317_thumb.j

post-12530-0-22460000-1468245330_thumb.j

• Like 6

Very productive weekend. Mowed the front and back yard, trimmed the lemon tree, reversed the back door so it swings in the opposite directions, repaired a faulty lawn sprinkler valve, and met a fellow audio addict who was selling some gear. I'm set for now on gear so I picked up a Threshold FET 10 phono preamp for a friend ($40). One of those deals of a lifetime.

• Like 6

• Moderators

Thanks everybody, it just started as just redoing the garden and adding a place to sit in the shade, glad we did it, we use it alot. Many of those poles have hooks to hang hammocks which is really handy because there are Heresy's hidden up in the back ceiling. Heresy's and hammocks, they really go well together  :lol:

The bad part is lately I usually wait to just before dark, even with two ceilings fans it's still hot . :mellow:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 4

• Moderators
I have always been partial to lighting up the bark of trees and seeing how it plays off the underside of the leaves!   Just finished doing this for one of my neighbors.  There trees are over 60 feet up, so I used a narrow focus LED 50w equiv.   Two of them to reach the underside of the tops, and then two wide focus (75 degree beam) for some shorter trees providing more of a 'wash'.      

Ours was simple compared to what your doing, I could get away with low power general lighting, nothing specific or high power.............yes eventually pics.   :D

I use the 3-2-1 method.  3 hours on the smoke, 2 hours in foil (with a little added apple juice), and then 1 hour (still in foil), wrapped in a heavy brown paper grocery bag, and placed in a cooler.

Looks great, I have only tried the 3-2-1 method once and they came out so good I plan on doing it like that from now on. Going to do a little chicken today, but that sucks compared to ribs ! :(  

• Like 5

• Moderators

Wow, dtel....after looking at your pics, I think we should have the next Pilgrimage at your place!!  Beautiful fun stuff!!  Great work. 

If it were 20 times bigger it might work.

• Like 4

Ok, lets get some photos of our lighting and share right here with coffee mugs in one hand of course (and an adult beverage in the other)  ...

Got some pic's, I put a bunch so you could see what I was talking about, the walkway was dark and you really couldn't see much past the bar area except from the lights under the bar roof.

I just did the base of some trees just to have it look a little bigger and see more of the garden, it feels bigger being able to see out a little further. I really like the difference, none of the outside tiki torches were lit in these pic's..

Looks great, i would spend much of my time outdoors if the yard was set up like yours is.

Very nice. :emotion-21:

• Like 2

Thank you, we use it alot, even if for just for relaxing in a hammock listening to music.

I am thinking about buying one of those stand alone hammocks so I can star gaze. Every night I am outside looking up into the sky till my neck hurts.  :(

• Like 3

• Moderators

Thank you, we use it alot, even if for just for relaxing in a hammock listening to music.

I am thinking about buying one of those stand alone hammocks so I can star gaze. Every night I am outside looking up into the sky till my neck hurts.   :(

Hammocks are great for that, you can't see it in the pic's but behind the bar there is a pole with two hooks in it, on two of the back poles of the bar are two more hooks. It was put there just for a pair of hammocks out from under the roof just for looking up at the stars. 

It's perfect for that, your laying in just the right position to relax while watching, it's great when it's a little cool with a blanket. 

• Like 5