Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

23 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

What size unit and how much was it.  I have to replace a 2 ton

3.5 ton / 14.5 SEER; outside unit and in attic evaporator (A) coil with enclosure. American Standard, 10 year warranty. Did not replace furnace / heating section with blower as we don't use heat that often and it has not malfunctioned and contractor told me that I don't need it ($1000.00 additional). Waiting on final written quote after he checks but $3000 to $3200. F'ing Feon is now $50 / lb.

My existing 3.5 ton (12 SEER) outside compressor is not faulty but I chose to get the whole sheebang. You want it, come get it. Wait, a evening in Austin...I might deliver.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Hey, come visit the (great?) Blue Law state of Indiana...you won't feel "Normal" for long......

i spent a weekend there back in the winter of 1978. i don’t remember much--i do know we were in Layette, Indiana and at a really intense party. Jury is still out on whether i survived that trip or not.

• Like 2

Back from my trip to the wine country of Northern California and beyond (Oregon). My cousin got married and those putting on the festivities didn’t spare any expense. My room was gratis, thanks to my cousin--so right away, that saved me nearly $500 for the two nights. Catered dinner the night before the wedding. Exceptional cuisine at the reception (the groom is a graduate of the culinary institute of America in Hyde Park, NY so he made sure the food was top notch). Open bar that never ran dry.

A lot of beautiful people and they were nice too.

Got to see most of my first-cousins. Also met some new people. I saw someone that i hadn’t seen in 15 years at least--maybe more. She is my cousin’s good friend and she is now married. Her husband was just on America’s Got Talent last night--he was one of the jugglers. 

Forced onto the dance floor twice...one was the final dance of the evening. The other was 10 of us cousins doing the Chamarita. The bride stated that she wanted some of her new husband’s culture incorporated into the wedding day. Since we're Portuguese, someone had the bright idea that we’d do the Chamarita for the 150 attendees.  Good thing it was at a private venue!  That was something from my parent’s generation and i’d never done it...until Saturday night.

Skipped the catered breakfast on Sunday and hit the road to Oregon. Bend, Oregon has a really cool downtown--lots of pubs and eateries, it appears to be a happening place. Beautiful park downtown where the river runs through it. Saw a couple of homes for sale across the street from the park; but, they’re asking $1.2 million and I’m not sure i want to live there permanently. Also, not too keen on living in a housing tract...i want some acreage...you know, a man has to let his speakers breathe, right?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Hit the road to Oregon. Bend, Oregon has a really cool downtown--lots of pubs and eateries, it appears to be a happening place. Beautiful park downtown where the river runs through it. Saw a couple of homes for sale across the street from the park; but, they’re asking $1.2 million and I’m not sure i want to live there permanently. Also, not too keen on living in a housing tract...i want some acreage...you know, a man has to let his speakers breathe, right?

Bend has been happening since after the housing crisis. It was a great before, but got messed up with excessive speculation for a long while.

Oregon has lots of available acreage. Expand your search...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

Bend has been happening since after the housing crisis. It was a great before, but got messed up with excessive speculation for a long while.

Oregon has lots of available acreage. Expand your search...

The weather (i.e. far less rain on the east side of the mountain) is one of the things that interested me in Bend.  While there are 89,000 people there and it is rather civilized--outside of town there is nothing ... for a long while.  So I would basically be isolated with 89,000 other people.  That’s why i’m going to rent a place.  I need to see if I’m going to want to hang around. But, if there is a way to get Los Angeles out of my system--that may be it. 

• Like 5

Good morning everyone...........:emotion-44:

Thanks for the compliment dTel, I actually enjoyed working on those speakers....

Thanks for that full report Steve!  I read it all with great interest, and waiting to see what you decide about moving etc...  :smile:

Join me over in RTM Friday evening ?   

Enjoy the morning and your day everyone...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

The weather (i.e. far less rain on the east side of the mountain) is one of the things that interested me in Bend.  While there are 89,000 people there and it is rather civilized--outside of town there is nothing ... for a long while.  So I would basically be isolated with 89,000 other people.  That’s why i’m going to rent a place.  I need to see if I’m going to want to hang around. But, if there is a way to get Los Angeles out of my system--that may be it. 

Welcome back from the road.

Sounds like you had a good time at the wedding, weddings are supposed to be good "Memory's".

Bend is TREE country that's for sure, Bit N/E of our Bandon place where the wife kinda would like to live.

We are pretty happy living everywhere at this time, 5th wheel project ongoing.

P.S. it takes 8MO to get the Lead out of your system upon leaving the southland.

A Friend moved to and Mined in Idaho, first thing they did was a metals test (he just left OC area) They told him he was "Leaded"

He stayed with a buddy for quite a wile, at 6 mo, they let him work.

Blood test are common in the mining ind.

• Like 5

• Moderators
5 hours ago, USNRET said:

3.5 ton / 14.5 SEER; outside unit and in attic evaporator (A) coil with enclosure. American Standard, 10 year warranty. Did not replace furnace / heating section with blower as we don't use heat that often and it has not malfunctioned and contractor told me that I don't need it ($1000.00 additional). Waiting on final written quote after he checks but $3000 to $3200. F'ing Feon is now $50 / lb.

My existing 3.5 ton (12 SEER) outside compressor is not faulty but I chose to get the whole sheebang. You want it, come get it. Wait, a evening in Austin...I might deliver.

Wait, wait, wait.

The Freon for the old unit you are replacing is $50 a lb correct? It is an old R22 system?  

The refrigerant for the new system should be 410A and is about $7 a lb. They stopped making R22 systems in 2010, and R22 will no longer be available after 2020 which is why it is going through roof right now, it is being stockpiled.

That is an exceptional price for a 3.5 ton unit (assuming it is R410A).  You might ask him how much to go to 16 SEER, it would probably get you a $500 rebate and a $300 tax credit if you can get certificate with your current furnace/air handler which is sometimes not possible.

Travis

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

The refrigerant for the new system should be 410A and is about $7 a lb. They stopped making R22 systems in 2010, and R22 will no longer be available after 2020 which is why it is going through roof right now, it is being stockpiled.

Do we need to upgrade our systems by then?  Or will there be a retro fit?

First cup of coffee and breakfast burrito down, going to make second cup. 

Here is a great link if you choose to make your own cables. 

http://elvencraft.com/ccc/

I have used the Liberty connectors along with the Belden RG59 cable with great results. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
13 hours ago, USNRET said:

Wait, wait, wait.

The Freon for the old unit you are replacing is $50 a lb correct? It is an old R22 system?  

That is an exceptional price for a 3.5 ton unit (assuming it is R410A).  You might ask him how much to go to 16 SEER, it would probably get you a $500 rebate and a $300 tax credit if you can get certificate with your current furnace/air handler which is sometimes not possible.

Travis

9 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Good morning everyone...........:emotion-44:

Thanks for the compliment dTel, I actually enjoyed working on those speakers....

Thanks for that full report Steve!  I read it all with great interest, and waiting to see what you decide about moving etc...  :smile:

Join me over in RTM Friday evening ?   

Enjoy the morning and your day everyone...

I'm still looking for the Pledge oil Gary.

• Like 3

• Moderators

I recently  received a mysterious priority mail package from Maryland.  Inside was an even more mysterious plain brown box taped up with plain brown tape.

Brought it home and the dogs started smelling it and went crazy.

Turns out the Boss MKP and Mr. MOP send me a nice big bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.   Brought out the grinder and making an awesome cup of coffee this morning. 

Thank you so much Boss.

Travis

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

I recently  received a mysterious priority mail package from Maryland.  Inside was an even more mysterious plain brown box taped up with plain brown tape.

Brought it home and the dogs started smelling it and went crazy.

Turns out the Boss MKP and Mr. MOP send me a nice big bag of Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee.   Brought out the grinder and making an awesome cup of coffee this morning. 

Thank you so much Boss.

Travis

Enjoy Travis my friend :D....

Yea The BOSS stuffed that coffee in that box lol lol

MKP :-)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Do we need to upgrade our systems by then?  Or will there be a retro fit?

The retrofit is basically replacing everything but the lines.  The new refrigerant works at much higher pressures than the old and components are not interchangeable between the old style and new.

• Like 3

I had our entire AC system replaced last year. Well everything but the duct work. Went with an American Standard 4 ton 18seer unit, humidity control and some fancy three stage electrostat filtering system. With the humidity in the house around 50%, we learned to turn the temp up to keep from being too cold. Our old system we kept the temp around 72. Our new system we set at 78. Our electric bill has been cut in half.

• Like 6