Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The retrofit is basically replacing everything but the lines.  The new refrigerant works at much higher pressures than the old and components are not interchangeable between the old style and new.

That is my understanding.  It used to be if the outside compressor went out you could replace just that piece.  You will no longer be able to do that, and pretty much can't do it now unless you have a very common compressor unit.  Plus, you would need to add 5 to 10 lbs of R22 and that is going to be another 100 to 1000 for that alone, and will continue to rise.

They are supposed to be making a replacement for the R22 so you supposedly will be able to recharge your system after 2020, but it is going to be more and more expensive.

• Like 3

Commercial units still use R22 so the gas is available, my thoughts are that we're just getting gouged.  My outside unit finally gave it up a year and a half ago after being patched up for about 15 years.  I have a friend who sells equipment and he got me a brand new 14 or 15 seer 5 ton outside unit, so they're still being made.  It was a lot cheaper than retrofitting and replacing everything.  Parts (after the friends and family discount), labor (from a family friend) and Freon was under 2k. 

• Like 4

Morning gang

I see a lot of A/C chat.

Iv got a good bud in the business, he takes care of me.

As far as the pricing of Said Gases (Freon), when they service a unit they suck that stuff into a container, reuse/resell is the norm.

Im ready to start the weekend, bid's/offers out on Reno goodies told the wife unit, she is in Standby.

Season Room rates in Reno are through the roof. Air Races coming up in a couple weeks.

Hopefully we have an >Uneventfull< year @ the races.

Third cup going down.

13920907_962695877172537_10198104577646192_n.png

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, minermark said:

As far as the pricing of Said Gases (Freon), when they service a unit they suck that stuff into a container, reuse/resell is the norm.

Every AC contractor around here (residential and commercial) vents to atmosphere.  It was shocking to me as we have to recover everything in automotive applications.  The answer I've been given by those I've asked is that the recovery container would have to be huge as well as the unit to run it.  On the other hand, I've seen appliance guys recover Freon to a bag type apparatus.  It blows my mind every time I see one of the commercial guys venting Freon.  Most times they'll put the end of the hose in a bucket of water.  My guess is to keep it from freezing up the end of the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Every AC contractor around here (residential and commercial) vents to atmosphere.  It was shocking to me as we have to recover everything in automotive applications.  The answer I've been given by those I've asked is that the recovery container would have to be huge as well as the unit to run it.  On the other hand, I've seen appliance guys recover Freon to a bag type apparatus.  It blows my mind every time I see one of the commercial guys venting Freon.  Most times they'll put the end of the hose in a bucket of water.  My guess is to keep it from freezing up the end of the line.

Freon gas just needs, (or should be cooled to a liquid state) wile recovery is in process.

One AC guy when servicing systems would suck out the Freon, service the problem, and then charge the customer full price for "New" Freon. >same Freon he sucked out to start with<.

This guy did not last long in my small circle of friends.

• Like 4

Up from Nap

Wife stated she's in the Mood for a road trip.

Reno it is, 

There is an Electronic surplus store iv been meaning to fund for a couple of years.

Need to find that.

Told the wife unit, fine, load up, overnight for sure, no more than a day, daddy is planing on SPENDING the money.

This surplus sells on the Bay, everytime up there i forget to find the store front, this time it's a mission.

13925078_1262941280406572_2942390646812848369_n.jpg

• Like 5

Happy Thursday Evening to all....Took yet another Friday off because I can,.

A question to all the retired folks? At what age did you wish you didn't have to go into work anymore? I ask because I'm only 54 and wish this all the time now....

Anyway Got some Robin Trower playing and some beers flowing....I might need one of those Hangover Burgers tomorrow morning LOL

• Like 4

18 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

Wait, wait, wait.

The Freon for the old unit you are replacing is $50 a lb correct? It is an old R22 system?  

The refrigerant for the new system should be 410A and is about $7 a lb. They stopped making R22 systems in 2010, and R22 will no longer be available after 2020 which is why it is going through roof right now, it is being stockpiled.

That is an exceptional price for a 3.5 ton unit (assuming it is R410A).  You might ask him how much to go to 16 SEER, it would probably get you a $500 rebate and a $300 tax credit if you can get certificate with your current furnace/air handler which is sometimes not possible.

Travis

Back from the Grand Jury; yes the old system was R22 and the new one is 410. Got the final quote today. $3225 which includes a $125 city permit and a new drip pan.

edit: I was told to figure about $1 grand per SEER up.

• Like 2

I think it was like $75 for the pan. Before we bought the place there had been an issue as I can see ceiling patch under pan and so it is a bit corroded. Just go up, remove everything and install with proper taping, sealing, etc. I have been losing air up there because of leaky joints.

• Like 3

In City Dreams...RT B)

Thanks for the pics everyone.:)

Looking and sounding real swell there Tarheel. :)

Glad you enjoyed vacation Chuck...:)

Beer will flush that babie's kidneys...good stuff.:)

Those are for film...:o

Oregon sounds real nice BSM B)

Stopping boilermaking schnapps dtel. :)

Will be American honey...:)

Been catching up here a bit...

Popup said only 100 likes per day...:o

Will petition Chad...B)

Glad you are following Doctor's advice Mark:)

On the homefront, had thought R22 would last through this summer but,

not so. Back to old A/C contractor. Dye kit showed outside line leaks at Schrader valves,

airhandler where A-Core resides showing microleaks so, we will wait until cooler weather for

the sake of the techs and us. Will give us time to decide on what to replace and with what system.

Sorry to read we are not the only ones with home A/C problems...

Will wait until another time to complain about car A/C systems...

Too cool to move in Florida...else suffer the consequences of the effort...Cheers...:)

• Like 6

Evening all.....

As it stands right now I don't think I'll replace my A/C unit..... My A/C took a dump about three years ago..... went out and got 4 big window units. Before the compressor locked up I was filling the system with R-22 every year.....that lasted three years.... My landlord from the shop sold me a 30lb container of R-22 for $200 a few years back when we were having the A/C issue..... Still got about 15lbs in the container.... 

So we have one window unit in our bedroom and one that cool the rest of the house... and it does a good job... When we leave in the am we turn them up to 72 and turn it back down to 68 when we get home... We also have ceiling fans through out the house to keep the air moving....

If I did replace the A/C system I would really think about the Mitsubishi split systems.... I could install it myself..... I was looking into them a few years back..... was thinking about putting A/C in the shop...

My landlord also sold be a 30lb container of R-12 for $200 about 10 years ago...... still got it....

Later...

MKP :-)

• Like 4

• Moderators
12 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

How come you didn't snap photos of those great KLIPSCH speakers in there and post an in your Klipsch sightings thread?

He thought you got the picture :mellow: I can't say anything I was there, seen them and never thought about it either. :D 

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, billybob said:

In City Dreams...RT B)

Thanks for the pics everyone.:)

Looking and sounding real swell there Tarheel. :)

Glad you enjoyed vacation Chuck...:)

Beer will flush that babie's kidneys...good stuff.:)

Those are for film...:o

Oregon sounds real nice BSM B)

Stopping boilermaking schnapps dtel. :)

Will be American honey...:)

Been catching up here a bit...

Popup said only 100 likes per day...:o

Will petition Chad...B)

Glad you are following Doctor's advice Mark:)

On the homefront, had thought R22 would last through this summer but,

not so. Back to old A/C contractor. Dye kit showed outside line leaks at Schrader valves,

airhandler where A-Core resides showing microleaks so, we will wait until cooler weather for

the sake of the techs and us. Will give us time to decide on what to replace and with what system.

Sorry to read we are not the only ones with home A/C problems...

Will wait until another time to complain about car A/C systems...

Too cool to move in Florida...else suffer the consequences of the effort...Cheers...:)

What a memory, your way more organized than me.

• Like 3