Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Morning all,

Just getting ready for the weather, no real work on the book today. So we'll all clear the lot. My lot and the used car guys. Jerry (used car guy) will bring in his tractor with the snow blower on it.

Just about out of wood at the house so i'm going to cut a few logs up that are in the woods next to the shop. So should get be by....

A good day to all...

MKP :-)

• Like 4

Reading the two comics on DST and then hearing the newshounds explain how to cope with the the hour change

I ask - does this Really effect any one here? For me its a non-happening. Other than changing the numerous clocks involved it has Zero effect on my next day. None. Anyone with DST issues that actually has an effect on you? Other than just not liking it or wanting to leave it one way or the other.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tarheel said:

Good luck MKP.  Our blizzard is gone.  A little excitement for us southerners but that's enough for now. 

Thanks Chuck.....

Yea were gonna get it.......as of now we're in the 12"-14" range......but north of us is going to be clobbered:o

Just called my one customer and cancelled for tomorrow.....gonna be a snow day for me and The BOSS,  hmmmmmm wonder what we'll get into.....? Might play with my putty:P

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, richieb said:

Reading the two comics on DST and then hearing the newshounds explain how to cope with the the hour change

I ask - does this Really effect any one here? For me its a non-happening. Other than changing the numerous clocks involved it has Zero effect on my next day. None. Anyone with DST issues that actually has an effect on you? Other than just not liking it or wanting to leave it one way or the other.

Yea i'm with you Richie, doesn't really effect me at all. My sleep is all screwed up as it is.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Thanks Chuck.....

Yea were gonna get it.......as of now we're in the 12"-14" range......but north of us is going to be clobbered:o

Just called my one customer and cancelled for tomorrow.....gonna be a snow day for me and The BOSS,  hmmmmmm wonder what we'll get into.....? Might play with my putty:P

Good day to go grab a monster Carver amp.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

coffee.giftonycoff.jpg

Hi there, and welcome to the Coffee Corner

So much espresso related stuff was piling up on my site that it seemed best to devote a page to it. There are some /graphics: my design of the King Crimson touring valet, photos of the finished item, and some other machines. I've got some links to interesting coffee related sites I've found, there's a hysterical essay on coffee by Balzac, and if you've got RealAudio, you can play "Espresso & the Bed of Nails," a track from my cd World Diary, which begins with a sample of an espresso machine.
Cheers, 
clr_dot.gifpbtlinit.gif

clr_dot.gif
COFFEE ON THE ROAD: 
The 'Crim Valet' or 'Café Crim'

Blueprint of "Crim Valet"

pbvalet2.jpg
The "Crim Valet": the original design, and the final product which - in its 'road case' - 
accompanied the recent King Crimson European Tour as "Café Crim".

Excerpts from "Espresso Coffee - Professional Techniques" 
by David C. Schomer

"When adjusting your grind, think of yourself as a musician tuning your violin as its delicately balanced wood frame changes ever so slightly in response to increases and decreases in temperature and humidity."

"There is a golden rate of water flow, corresponding to about a 25 second extraction for a total shot, single or double, that maximizes flavor release and minimizes the amount of nasty acids and excessive caffeine that get into the final cup."

"Remember, coffee flavors are very volatile and more than a little cranky. Pre-grinding the coffee, even for a few moments, exposes the coffee oils to the air, which immediately, through the process of oxidation, begins to destroy flavor compounds."

"There is wide agreement that the pump for espresso making should be set between 8.2 and 9 atmospheres of pressure."

"Temperature control is the reason that the porta-filter is always kept in the head of the machine. These critical brewing baskets should never rest on the counter during business hours. If you see the group handles lying on the counter in an espresso shop, forget it. Go somewhere else for an espresso."

The Coffee Station THE COFFEE STATION

This is the "Coffee Station" device, built by my friend Ed Doyle

RealAudioESPRESSO
& THE BED OF NAILS

Here is "Espresso & the Bed of Nails", a track from WORLD DIARY, featuring the percussion group Nexus. It begins with a sample of my trusty (well, not too trusty) Gaggia, which was a major presence in the studio during the mix. (RealAudio 28.8 stream)

This selection requires the latest Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape with the NEW RealAudio plug-in. We urge you to download it (Version 5+) now from Real Audio.

pbwdgagg.jpg

Coffee ConnectionsCOFFEE CONNECTIONS

My trusty road machine is an Estro Profi, which has held up very well to constant travel. (I also have an identical Italian version, for some reason called 'Saeco' Rio Profi.)

Balzac on Coffee
  Coffee is a great power in my life; I have observed its effects on an epic scale. Coffee roasts your insides. Many people claim coffee inspires them, but, as everybody knows, coffee only makes boring people even more boring. ...as Brillat-Savarin has correctly observed, coffee sets the blood in motion and stimulates the muscles; it accelerates the digestive processes, chases away sleep, and gives us the capacity to engage a little longer in the exercise of our intellects. ...Coffee changes over time. Rossini has personally experienced some of these effects as, of course, have I. "Coffee," Rossini told me, "is an affair of fifteen or twenty days; just the right amount of time, fortunately, to write an opera." This is true. But the length of time during which one can enjoy the benefits of coffee can be extended. For a while - for a week or two at most - you can obtain the right amount of stimulation with one, then two cups of coffee brewed from beans that have been crushed with gradually increasing force and infused with hot water. For another week, by decreasing the amount of water used, by pulverizing the coffee even more finely, and by infusing the grounds with cold water, you can continue to obtain the same cerebral power. When you have produced the finest grind with the least water possible, you double the dose by drinking two cups at a time; particularly vigorous constitutions can tolerate three cups. In this manner one can continue working for several more days. Finally, I have discovered a horrible, rather brutal method that I recommend only to men of excessive vigor, men with thick black hair and skin covered with liver spots, men with big square hands and legs shaped like bowling pins. It is a question of using finely pulverized, dense coffee, cold and anhydrous, consumed on an empty stomach. ...this coffee falls into your stomach ... it brutalizes these beautiful stomach linings as a wagon master abuses ponies; the plexus becomes inflamed; sparks shoot all the way up to the brain. From that moment on, everything becomes agitated. Ideas quick-march into motion like battalions of a grand army to its legendary fighting ground, and the battle rages. Memories charge in, bright flags on high; the cavalry of metaphor deploys with a magnificent gallop; the artillery of logic rushes up with clattering wagons and cartridges; on imagination's orders, sharpshooters sight and fire; forms and shapes and characters rear up; the paper is spread with ink - for the nightly labor begins and ends with torrents of this black water, as a battle opens and concludes with black powder. ...When you have reached the point of consuming this kind of coffee, then become exhausted and decide that you really must have more,... you will fall into horrible sweats, suffer feebleness of the nerves, and undergo episodes of severe drowsiness. I don't know what would happen if you kept at it then: a sensible nature counseled me to stop at this point, seeing that immediate death was not otherwise my fate. To be restored, one must begin with recipes made with milk and chicken and other white meats: finally the tension on the harp strings eases, and one returns to the relaxed, meandering, simple-minded, and cryptogamous life of the retired bourgeoisie. The state coffee puts one in when it is drunk on an empty stomach under these magisterial conditions produces a kind of animation that looks like anger: one's voice rises, one's gestures suggest unhealthy impatience: one wants everything to proceed with the speed of ideas; one becomes brusque, ill-tempered about nothing... One assumes that everyone is equally lucid. A man of spirit must therefore avoid going out in public. I discovered this singular state ... some friends, with whom I had gone out to the country, witnessed me arguing about everything, haranguing with monumental bad faith. ... We found the problem soon enough: coffee wanted its victim.  

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Good day to go grab a monster Carver amp.

The listing was taken down Saturday night......and I'm glad... sent two e-mails to the seller Friday and wad tossing and turning all night thinking about that damn thing..... and thinking what I'm going to sell.....

I still can't belive it didn't make it to thecarversite......

One day there be a TFM-75 in the cribb......just not that one.....

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, minermark said:

Long story short, cleaning up my Crap, i came across This!......thought id lost everything in my last crash, the "Cloud" is Great :excl2:

Didn't know you had a crash, I had that pic :o hey it's not your normal pic, just glad you were not sitting on the bike with the kilt, also saved the pic of Stewman with the band Yes, and a couple of others.

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

I would let her play with it for a while.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

The listing was taken down Saturday night......and I'm glad... sent two e-mails to the seller Friday and wad tossing and turning all night thinking about that damn thing..... and thinking what I'm going to sell.....

I still can't belive it didn't make it to thecarversite......

One day there be a TFM-75 in the cribb......just not that one.....

One day. 

I can't recall the last one I've seen for sale.

• Like 2

Good evening my friends.............since the weather is the BIG sidebar right now............Here is a photo of OUR local weather which they say is to begin around 4AM. !!   Uptown stores are already closed for tomorrow, FIVE colleges have closed and I don't believe I will be going into work because of the BIG piles we are supposed to get!   

Ok, here is that fresh screen shot photo.............IMG_3427.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Good evening my friends.............since the weather is the BIG sidebar right now............Here is a photo of OUR local weather which they say is to begin around 4AM. !!   Uptown stores are already closed for tomorrow, FIVE colleges have closed and I don't believe I will be going into work because of the BIG piles we are supposed to get!   

Ok, here is that fresh screen shot photo.............IMG_3427.jpg

Here's some shovels Gary !

snowshovels_final2.jpg

• Like 4