Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Good Friday evening gents

No Rain for the next week predicted, so i washed the Dodge for the first time this year.

Hit it with small pressure washer once a month, that farm dirt gets thick.

Wife is mellow and veggin, pain pill and Netflix.

Im spending my Friday night on the Bay/Amazon, parts sourcing.

17952607_418144775228677_8642719136794549506_n.jpg

• Like 8

In the lush, green hills of northern Thailand, a woman painstakingly picks coffee beans out of a pile of elephant dung, an essential part of making one the world's most expensive beverages.

This remote corner of Thailand bordering Myanmar and Laos is better known for drug smuggling than coffee, but Blake Dinkin decided it was perfect for a legitimate enterprise that blends conservation with business.

"When I explained my project to the mahouts (elephant riders), I know that they thought I was crazy," the 44-year-old Canadian founder of Black Ivory Coffee, which uses the digestive tract of elephants to create a high-end brew for coffee connoisseurs.

Initially, he considered using civet cats to make "kopi luwak" coffee, which uses beans collected from the droppings of the Asian cats. But the quality of the end product has weakened as demand has grown in Southeast Asia — including in Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Civet cats are also often kept in cages and force-fed beans, a chasm away from Dinkin's desire to support rather than damage the environment.

Lions and giraffes also made the shortlist of prospective coffee filters, but eventually Dinkin settled on elephants after discovering that the creatures sometimes eat coffee during periods of drought in Southeast Asia.

He also teamed up with an elephant rescue charity which saves the creatures from the tourist trade.

PAID CONTENT BY SAN DIEGO TOURISM AUTHORITY

Why San Diego Has an Awesome Event For Everyone

We get you – you travel your way and nobody else's. So we’re helping you...

But making coffee from pachyderm poop was harder than expected.

"I thought it would be as simple as taking the beans, giving them to the elephant, and out will come great coffee," said Dinkin, adding that the initial result was "horrible" and undrinkable.

"It took me another nine years to actually succeed in doing what I wanted," he said.

Now that's fresh roasted coffee

elephant-poop.jpg

• Like 3

Just stopping in to say Good Morning / early afternoon to you all...........:emotion-29::emotion-29:   Looks like the Pilgrimage is getting underway, and I wish you all who are going a great time!   Of course, send us pictures please :)...

dTel, you have a PMail......

Mark, did you hear that the Mystery Science Theater is coming back ?!??  We heard the story on NPR the other day...:emotion-21:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tigerman said:

Mark, did you hear that the Mystery Science Theater is coming back ?!??  We heard the story on NPR the other day...:emotion-21:

That is good news,  You listen to NPR Gary?  I thought only I -- and Communists -- listened to NPR.  :-)

• Like 3

Oh yeah Diz...........npr for news in the morning, news before I leave work and Prairie Home Companion when it is in season (don't listen to the encore shows which are happening at this time until a new season of LIVE shows starts up soon...)  The story, and stickin' to it  :lol:

• Like 3

Ditto on the NPR. Rarely hear raised voices. It is like a different era of civility. Listening to local NPR classical station at the moment.

Just finished binge watching New MST with Nan this last week on Netflix. All 14 episodes...lol

• Like 3