Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

3 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Jealous!

Those are on my bucket list.

I'm getting ready to leave work and go home and pack.

Here you go Carl, you can live vicariously through the photos....and a shot for you fellow drummers.....

IMG_3989 (Small).JPG

IMG_3982 (Small).JPG

IMG_3979 (Small).JPG

IMG_3980 (Small).JPG

IMG_3984 (Small).JPG

IMG_3986 (Small).JPG

IMG_3988 (Small).JPG

• Like 4

strange day.  I was nearly in a fist fight today.  I’m standing outside Starbucks waiting for my brother. I’m pacing around and then walk to the door and look through the window to see if it’s crowded inside.  I’m standing about six feet away from an outside table. some young dude, shaved head and neck tattoos is there playing rap music rather loudly. suddenly, he gets up and charges me, gets within arm’s reach and says “what are you doing? why are your hands in your pocket?” Now, i could tell by the way he came out me that something may go down, mentally i was preparing for a fight. I did calmly say “what are you talking about...i’m waiting for someone, now get the F*** away from me."

at that moment, my brother walks out the door, doesn’t say a word, just grabs my arm and starts leading me away. the dude was mumbling something as he walked back to his table. And i think i called him a F’n A-hole as i walked away. actually my brother was afraid that the guy had a gun. He’s clearly spent time in jail based on his over aggressive action and his paranoia.  Not sure why he didn’t take a swing at me, maybe he expected me to back down and when i didn’t he changed his mind? I wasn’t that much bigger than him...maybe 2 inches in height and 20 pounds. 

It has been decades since I was threatened like that.  But, that’s life in the big city...stay in one place too long and people get suspicious. 

In hindsight, my brother leading me away was a good thing. I was willing to still sit down at a table and eat; but, he wanted to get me out of there. Wise move. 

i want to say that i would have kicked the crap out of him because my experience and knowledge would have overcome his youth; but, then again, I’m 56.  Years ago, i could take a punch to the face, remain standing, and fight back--now i’m 56 with two herniated disks in my neck--i don’t know what a punch to the face would do to me.

I know how to protect myself, so if i endured the first punch--i think he’d be in a world of hurt right now. however, glad it didn’t resort to violence. 

I’m about as easy a going guy as you’re gonna meet, and will walk away from a fight more times than not; but, i’ll tell you ... when that dude came up quick on me being all aggressive, i was ready, and i’m not sure how i feel about myself now.

@minermark DANG YOU MARK...you had to remind me a few weeks back that i haven’t gotten out of here alive yet...i guess i better stay on my guard.

• Like 3

^^ it's all over the place. My 12 y.o. daughter got blindsided with a punch to the forehead after school, on the grounds, about the time the angry Korean wife pulled up and took off after the 8th grader female. My daughter tackled the wife yelling "stop, I'll be kicked out of athletics for retaliation".  Meeting with the principal and school security today was all about if my daughter had swung back. If she had raised her fist in self defense she too would be suspended. Wonder why there are bullies? Attacker gets two days of in school suspension and daughter has option to press charges.

Today after school one of the 8th grader girls that is in choir with my daughter challenged yesterday's attacker for picking on a 7th grader and it became a cat fight until a male teacher dove in between them. The wife and I are at odds over this tonight. I told my kids that if they are physically attacked to stand their ground and defend themselves. Wife, after talking to police and principal, says never to hit back.

Me to principal: if you are saying that my children cannot defend themselves from attack then the school is responsible totally for their safety and injuries. If you are unable to prevent attacks, I will sue you. If she is attacked and fights back and then you suspend her I will sue you for false promise to protect.

Ms Principal didn't think that a low life, ordinary citizen could challenge her. Cop was all good. Might need a lawyer soon. Video of the choir group shows that yesterday was an unprovoked attack. BTW, Eri was not really hurt.

• Like 5

The not hurt part is very good. Bullying however is not. You sound as if you care and you have understanding, of course.

Bullies, who needs them...

Showing restraint and the system is not easy as a parent. More power to you.

Cool heads sometime prevail although, cannot be easy to do.

• Like 4

I don't think this has anything to do with BigStew's situation, that guy just sounded like a paranoid arse, but with the little/younger kids though my wife says it's Spring.  She works in our local school district helping troubled grade school kids get up to snuff with their education.  We were just talking about this a couple of days ago.  She says every Spring the fights begin to break out, aggression goes up, etc. 

What prompted the conversation was that two girls at my daughters middle school got into a fist fight and some other kids caught it on video.  So, this time of year it could be a little hormone rage with bad parenting on top of it.

• Like 2

Yea, it seems that the bad actor here has quite the reputation. My daughter doesn't 'know' her and it would take some Paul Draking to find contact info for her parents so her Dad and I could have a chat.

Paul Drake.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

I don't think this has anything to do with BigStew's situation, that guy just sounded like a paranoid arse, but with the little/younger kids though my wife says it's Spring.  She works in our local school district helping troubled grade school kids get up to snuff with their education.  We were just talking about this a couple of days ago.  She says every Spring the fights begin to break out, aggression goes up, etc. 

What prompted the conversation was that two girls at my daughters middle school got into a fist fight and some other kids caught it on video.  So, this time of year it could be a little hormone rage with bad parenting on top of it.

Things do happen . That is a very interesting observation. The idea of girls going at it is not a beautiful prospect to have to live or engage with.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Yea, it seems that the bad actor here has quite the reputation. My daughter doesn't 'know' her and it would take some Paul Draking to find contact info for her parents so her Dad and I could have a chat.

Same with the fight at my daughters school.  One of the girls is the proverbial bully, bad apple.  Unfortunately, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Kids have seen her Mom and it tells the story.  I'm with you though, if one of my girls would have gotten sucker punched I'd be fuming.  If you do have a chat, be careful.  You don't know what a lot of these moron's are capable of doing.  People on this forum, for the most part, seem to have a simple thing called logic.  This is an ability/trait that escapes many anymore.

• Like 3

Mean people suck.

Steve, get the hell out of there. 

Good luck with your kids MIke.  Middle and high schools are getting worse all the time.  Kids are basically out of control fueled by the fact that there's no corporal punishment or real repurcussion for their actions. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Mean people suck.

Good luck with your kids MIke.  Middle and high schools are getting worse all the time.  Kids are basically out of control fueled by the fact that there's no corporal punishment or real repurcussion for their actions. 

A hell of a situation! To, oh yeah mean people suck...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Mean people suck.

Agreed.  Get in a fight and you get two free days off of school.  We had corporal punishment in my grade schools.  You learned early the action/reaction philosophy.  Honestly, I blame a lot of parents my age, 43, and younger.  They are so disassociated with their kids, their behavior, their activities, even their academia.  Too much self absorption.  They're more worried about what's happening on the phone, social page, etc.  It's pathetic really. 

My wife see's it a ton with what she does.  At one point, half of my 7th graders entire grade was failing.  The kids don't care because the parents don't.

• Like 1