Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Darth Vader, final Boilermaker 15K finisher, an inspiration to all

http://www.wktv.com/story/35849040/darth-vader-final-boilermaker-15k-finisher-an-inspiration-to-all

UTICA – A total of 11,711 runners completed the Boilermaker 15K on Sunday. In a sea of thousands, it was the very last finisher who had the remaining spectators – and now hundreds on social media – in complete awe.

Darth Vader (yes, that’s his legal name), a former U.S. Marine from Canandaigua, crossed the finish line with a time of 3:26:49. For those who have never seen Vader in action, and even those who have, seeing him cross the finish line of his second Boilermaker 15K – just six months after having his leg amputated – was an inspiring sight to see. Photos and videos of Vader along the course have been circulating around social media since Sunday morning.

Vader has been battling Leukemia and a serious bone marrow disorder for 15 years, but you wouldn’t know it by the way he lives his life. In the last six months since he had his leg amputated in Mexico, Vader has completed seven triathlons, seven half marathons, seven Tough Mudders and now the Boilermaker 15K. Oftentimes he completes his running events carrying an American flag and wearing a gas mask.

On Sunday, Vader was greeted with cheering, handshakes and a cold beer when he crossed the finish line, and the law enforcement officers who followed behind him the whole way were first in line to shake his hand.

“Where’s the bus to get home?” Vader joked just after crossing the finish line. And unfortunately, that ride wasn’t a pleasant one – according to his Facebook page, he threw up four times along the way.

“If the doctors were right, I’d be dead right now,” Vader says in the CW three-part series “My Last Days,” which featured several people living with terminal illnesses. “But I’m not, and I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.”

Vader, who legally changed his name in 2015, says he didn’t want any name that was attached to who he was, because that name was attached to the past.

“I relate to Darth Vader because he was able to tie everything up before he passed away,” Vader says in the video, “and to know that he was leaving some good behind.”

To watch the 33-minute CW feature about Darth Vader, click here.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 11:55 AM, Tigerman said:

Hello USNRET...............Better then that............(reset was the first thing I checked.....) 

How about THIS dumb arse move, :o  I NEVER went down to the breaker box to check for a thrown circuit !!  I was on the hunch that the light switch next to the disposal switch were on the SAME circuit (NEVER ASSUME THIS!)   I get my NEW unit, all happy, installed and hook it all up, hit the switch..............NOTHING!!

It was then, that I realized there is a breaker for the appliance................. :angry: !!      OK, feeling rather stupid now, I have to package this back up and RE-install the past replacement unit...  AGAIN!!!  :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: 

Anyone care to chime in ???   :blush2::blush2:

I'm not an electrician but a separate circuit and breaker for GD been code for a while.