Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Close one Elden, sure makes one think about how a simple task can turn on a dime. 

With new bearings and blades, you're set on major mower maintenance for a while.

I sure hope so, now I have alot of high grass to cut, this will be a test for sure. Where the deck was torn around the spindle i welded it up and added another much larger plate as backup. Just finished and cut for 5 minutes to test and everything looks good.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
5 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

not only that your lucky .. and that you did not injury yourself...

it could of been someone else..

Glad the the tire got it...

be safe my freind...and make sure

that the spindles have zerk fittings..

and grease them regularly..

Very true, but I was was in the back yard, no one was around for 500 feet. Just lucky I wasn't close to the house, could have gone through a wall.

A little while ago after it was put back together I left the top covers off to test it out while looking at the pulleys and belts moving just checking for problems. I engaged the blades while at idle at first, looked good, then I put it up to running speed of 540 at the pto, It's really shocking how fast everything is moving past the gearbox at operating speed.  :o 

Each spindle has a zerk fitting and I grease them every time before I cut, I can't complain, the bearings were 9 years old. And that's cutting our 6 acres and my sisters 3.5 acres around the corner every week.  Part of the reason i wanted to change them out while it was all apart. Plus i got a great deal on the bearings, it's a 6206z bearing and I found some Timken for $3.25 each plus free shipping, they were between $10-20 each locally, I got 6 for under $20. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, dtel said:

Very true, but I was was in the back yard, no one was around for 500 feet. Just lucky I wasn't close to the house, could have gone through a wall.

A little while ago after it was put back together I left the top covers off to test it out while looking at the pulleys and belts moving just checking for problems. I engaged the blades while at idle at first, looked good, then I put it up to running speed of 540 at the pto, It's really shocking how fast everything is moving past the gearbox at operating speed.  :o 

Each spindle has a zerk fitting and I grease them every time before I cut, I can't complain, the bearings were 9 years old. And that's cutting our 6 acres and my sisters 3.5 acres around the corner every week.  Part of the reason i wanted to change them out while it was all apart. Plus i got a great deal on the bearings, it's a 6206z bearing and I found some Timken for $3.25 each plus free shipping, they were between $10-20 each locally, I got 6 for under $20. 

just be happy that you don't have a walk behind...I'm glad everything work out for you..figured you for

a Ford 9n with turf tires...and front bucket..

• Like 2

Tomorrow I travel to Frankenmuth to again provide music for a 50th HS reunion.  After my own 50th a few weeks ago (see post linked below), I'm not making the mistake of dragging La Scalas to this one.  My DIY boombox and my son's Faux-Pro Heresys will be more than sufficient for everything from background music to loud and clear dance music.

A pdf of the playlist is attached.

IMG_0331 (Medium).JPG

playlist_pp_1-3.pdf

playlist_pp_4-5.pdf

• Like 3

Enjoy the time... You have, without really communicating with me, have me convinced to use Duratex on my LS. I have pondered quite  a few designs/finishes, but I think it will work out nicely. Yours have all been great!

Bruce

• Like 3

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

just be happy that you don't have a walk behind...I'm glad everything work out for you..figured you for

a Ford 9n with turf tires...and front bucket..

Thank you, me to.

Nope no Ford, but Kubota 30 hp 4 wheel drive, with a front end loader with a quick disconnect bucket for things like forks like this. 

I think this is the only pic I have of it, moving the yard speakers. My hard drive broke so I can't look for any other pics. 

speakers.JPG

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dtel said:

Thank you, me to.

Nope no Ford, but Kubota 30 hp 4 wheel drive, with a front end loader with a quick disconnect bucket for things like forks like this. 

I think this is the only pic I have of it, moving the yard speakers. My hard drive broke so I can't look for any other pics.

Ummm, damn.  Is that the left, or right channel?  Apparently, you like to make the trees, animals within, subterranean creatures, enjoy the music.  Is that seriously a setup of yours??  If so, I need more property.  Well, maybe not.  I think I could fit a couple of those in my backyard, if I want to entertain an audience within a 3 mile radius.

• Like 2

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, ACV92 said:

Ummm, damn.  Is that the left, or right channel? Both, one bass bin and top for each channel, sometimes I don't even separate them, just play them like that. Apparently, you like to make the trees, animals within, subterranean creatures, enjoy the music. Yes but mostly the people in range :) Is that seriously a setup of yours?? Yes, for the yard, it's smaller than what's in the living room. :o It's the bass bins I used to copy in Red Oak for inside, but inside uses 402 horns. If so, I need more property.  Well, maybe not.  I think I could fit a couple of those in my backyard, if I want to entertain an audience within a 3 mile radius. Na just a few hundred feet, ok maby more. It's really it's just like split LaScalas (same tops) but with more bass, it does sound good even from a distance. :emotion-21:

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Tomorrow I travel to Frankenmuth to again provide music for a 50th HS reunion.  After my own 50th a few weeks ago (see post linked below), I'm not making the mistake of dragging La Scalas to this one.  My DIY boombox and my son's Faux-Pro Heresys will be more than sufficient for everything from background music to loud and clear dance music.

A pdf of the playlist is attached.

IMG_0331 (Medium).JPG

playlist_pp_1-3.pdf

playlist_pp_4-5.pdf

Sounds like a fun time.

That's a very nice playlist, seems like it would entertain a wide variety of age groups. 

A couple Buddy Holly songs would fit in nicely:D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Thank you, me to.

speakers.JPG

That's an awesome pic. It could be in a Klipsch brochure.

That pic should have it's own thread.....caption this!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Sounds like a fun time.

That's a very nice playlist, seems like it would entertain a wide variety of age groups. 

A couple Buddy Holly songs would fit in nicely:D

Thank you.

Nothing against Buddy Holly, but he died in 1959, when most of this group was ten.  The playlist is not intended to entertain a wide age group; it's intended to remind those who were in high school from 1964 - 1967 of the music from that specific time period.

With the exception of two songs, The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Runaway, the songs are from that narrow time period.  The task was to distill the music to a nearly manageable 218 songs.  That period included the beginning of the "British Invasion"  by the likes of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zombies, Yardbirds, Dave Clark Five, et al.

There was no place, as well as no need, for the great music of Buddy Holly, and other greats before or after that narrow period.  The Lion Sleeps Tonight was included at the specific request of my friend, and Runaway was included by me because Del Shannon is from Coopersville, Michigan, and one of his hits, Keep Searchin', was from the narrow time window, plus, I like it.

I frequently enjoy Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, and other musicians from before 1964 or after 1967, but that wasn't the assignment.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Thank you.

Nothing against Buddy Holly, but he died in 1959, when most of this group was ten.  The playlist is not intended to entertain a wide age group; it's intended to remind those who were in high school from 1964 - 1967 of the music from that specific time period.

With the exception of two songs, The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Runaway, the songs are from that narrow time period.  The task was to distill the music to a nearly manageable 218 songs.  That period included the beginning of the "British Invasion"  by the likes of the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Zombies, Yardbirds, Dave Clark Five, et al.

There was no place, as well as no need, for the great music of Buddy Holly, and other greats before or after that narrow period.  The Lion Sleeps Tonight was included at the specific request of my friend, and Runaway was included by me because Del Shannon is from Coopersville, Michigan, and one of his hits, Keep Searchin', was from the narrow time window, plus, I like it.

I frequently enjoy Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers, and other musicians from before 1964 or after 1967, but that wasn't the assignment.

But there is a Buddy Holly song on your playlist, that's the only reason I said that. I didn't realize the time period of the songs you chose, it just seemed like his music would fit in there nicely. I have 4 older siblings and I grew up listening to a lot of that music. I really like it, brings back great memories of a great childhood.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Thank you.

Neil, you got me by 10 years. I have my 40th high school reunion next month, but I was the youngest of 5 kids so your playlist brings back a lot of memories. Interesting to see how old some of those songs are. I guess some stayed on radio playlists longer than others and just don't seem as old. Maybe they just aged better! I'm sure you'll see examples of that at your reunion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MookieStl said:

Neil, you got me by 10 years. I have my 40th high school reunion next month, but I was the youngest of 5 kids so your playlist brings back a lot of memories. Interesting to see how old some of those songs are. I guess some stayed on radio playlists longer than others and just don't seem as old. Maybe they just aged better! I'm sure you'll see examples of that at your reunion.

I'm 4 years from my 40th (where did the time go) 

I guess good music is timeless.

• Like 3

@Ceptorman are you referring to True Love Ways, written by Buddy Holly, but performed here by Peter & Gordon?  If there's another Buddy Holly song on the playlist, it escapes me.

The challenge has always been limiting the songs that were popular in that defined period of time.  Some were easy to elimnate, such as Eve of Destruction, by Sgt.Barry McGuire; not party music.  Other were more problematic, such as Last Kiss, by J. Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers or Leader of The Pack, by the Shangri-Las. They stayed, as they're representative of the period.

With 218 songs, that's ~ 8 hours of music without repeats.  Too much "good" music, rather than not enough. 

• Like 1