Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

Well, got back home late Thursday night. Did not want to be on the road on the holiday weekend. Last leg of trip was a couple days in Yellowstone, a day in the Grand Tetons. Two days in Yellowstone is not enough nor one in the Tetons. Stayed with an old friend from high school in Jackson WY for a couple nights that I had not seen for 37 years! Then on the way back stopped in at @Trentster5172's home to audition his Jubes. SWEET. I want.... Finally on Thursday went by Lake Tahoe and came down the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada.. God's Country.

Now I'm home with many chores to do, but its hard to get motivated. Its like 105 to 110 degrees outside. Jeesh.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Good morning my friends..................too cool to eat breakfast out on the deck this morning, only 51 degrees!!  But, here is a photo just taken showing some of this years plants............etc....;)IMG_6767.jpg

Gary, your deck looks very nice and peaceful. I could spend all day out there. It was 52 here this morning, a little early for that, 83 tomorrow and 90 Monday!

2 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Morning gang....

and a happy Saturday/long weekend to all...

Just swinging in and catching up on some posts. 

Not a whole lot going on today just some rain...the remnants Harvey will be blowing through for the next day or so. Man, the rain fall from that storm was unreal:o

Will be going into the shop for a few hours today.... gonna be working on my Honda CRX. Got the block back from the machine shop last week. Just doing a stock build on this old gem.

Good vibes too all..... later...

MKP :-)

Mark, I knew you were a Honda guy, but didn't know you had a CBX. I've always liked those. I did see a cool header on one years ago, it was a 6 into 1, sounded incredible.

Check out a Honda RC166, inline 6cyl  250cc, thimble sized pistons, and probably the best sounding engine ever produced.

55 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

IMO, Machine Head was Deep Purple's best album.  

Yes, I think so also. I saw a lot of bands back in the 70s and 80s, but never saw them.

11 minutes ago, babadono said:

Well, got back home late Thursday night. Did not want to be on the road on the holiday weekend. Last leg of trip was a couple days in Yellowstone, a day in the Grand Tetons. Two days in Yellowstone is not enough nor one in the Tetons. Stayed with an old friend from high school in Jackson WY for a couple nights that I had not seen for 37 years! Then on the way back stopped in at @Trentster5172's home to audition his Jubes. SWEET. I want.... Finally on Thursday went by Lake Tahoe and came down the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada.. God's Country.

Now I'm home with many chores to do, but its hard to get motivated. Its like 105 to 110 degrees outside. Jeesh.

That trip is on my bucket list, Ive never been in the northwest.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Dave -- hope all is well up in Alaska.

Do you have a DD-214 or any documents that show what unit(s) he was assigned to?  If you do, the service that he was in can help you. Not sure about the 40s; but, i retired in 2003 and the DD-214 listed all the units that I was assigned to. Many award citations list the unit assigned to as well. If you’re striking out with any of those, i would ask the service that he was in for a list of the units he was assigned to, they may also be able to tell you the names of any campaigns or operations associated with his unit; or like you said, you would have some good information to start your internet research. 

Good Luck. My Uncle was at Normandy. I didn’t find this out until after he died. He would tell me war stories while i was growing up and i remember him talking about how the bullets were flying the minute the landing craft doors opened. It was later that i saw his canteen with NORMANDY etched into it. Can’t help but think of him every time i watch Saving Private Ryan and think, “Uncle Frank was there for real.”  When i young, his stories were so cool, i hoped that there would be a war when i turned 18.  At age 16, his stories took a turn and i remember thinking, “I hope i never have to go to war.” 

Thanks Stew!  I do have a photo of his DD-214 (equivalent I think) so I have schools he was in - phillipine liberation and Luzon.  Still need to dig to find timelines if I can.  I appreciate the feedback!  I couldn't agree more - I hope I never have to go to war.  These are the good ol days.  

And USN - awesome set up - simply incredible!!

• Like 3

Thanks Ceptor.....    You would really enjoy it, especially after dark when the 'Tuscan' lighting comes on, and the down lighting over the plants so they can be enjoyed at night...   Then there is the 2.1 outdoor sound rig..........nat gas heat for the cooler breakfast mornings and dinner evenings :)    .........we certainly are lucky to have such space here.....  ^_^

• Like 2

6 hours ago, babadono said:

Glad you got home safe and enjoyed your trip @babadono.  We were pleased to meet you and your wife!  

If anyone needs a northwest trip with a Jubilee demo - my wife and I would be happy to host you for a listen.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Trentster5172 said:

Glad you got home safe and enjoyed your trip @babadono.  We were pleased to meet you and your wife!  

If anyone needs a northwest trip with a Jubilee demo - my wife and I would be happy to host you for a listen.

Be careful with your generous offer....I might show up and never leave:D

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tigerman said:

Thanks Ceptor.....    You would really enjoy it, especially after dark when the 'Tuscan' lighting comes on, and the down lighting over the plants so they can be enjoyed at night...   Then there is the 2.1 outdoor sound rig..........nat gas heat for the cooler breakfast mornings and dinner evenings :)    .........we certainly are lucky to have such space here.....  ^_^

I do a lot of outdoor kitchen/recreation areas, and have found out lighting can make a huge difference, especially with hard surfaces. A well thought out outdoor area really brings people together.

• Like 4

Morning all,

Just working on 1st cup. Got up a bit late this morning. Was up late last night we watched three movies with our fiends. They left around 12:00 but we stayed up till around 1:30:blink:

Not sure what I'll get into today... Looks like the rain has past and the sun is drying things out. 

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Mark, I knew you were a Honda guy, but didn't know you had a CBX.

That would be "CRX" Ceptor.... This one got 4 wheels lol lol.

Image result for 1986 honda crx

Now my dad is the motorcycle nut. He's the one that raced. He's a madman. My dad was a horse jockey and raced motorcycles as a hobby. I never owned a bike. I just was never really into it. I have rode a bit but never really wanted to get a bike. 

The car in the pic is like the one I have..... well the one I have is a shell. It's a 1986 CRX Si , so it's the fuel injection model. 

I started with Honda back in 86 and I remember when these cars were new. The 1st CRX Si was 1985 but the 86/87 models had the better looking trim and the phone dial wheels. The 1st time I saw a 86 Si was when we were getting a truck load of new cars at the dealer. One of the cars was the Silver Si one and that was the one I fell in love with. I said to myself "one day I'll have a Silver Si" 

I got my car about 26 years ago. 1986 silver CRX Si.... 85k miles and zero rust. It's has spent it's whole life in my garage till about 12 years ago. That's when I pulled it apart to do a rebuild on it. It's going to be a stock build but I have changed the tint if the silver to a Mercedes silver (Iriduim Silver). 

Over in Europe/Japan and Australia you could get the 135hp. 1.6 DOHC ZC engines in the CRX's. But here in the U.S. we only got the wimpy  91hp SOHC engines. The 1.6 DOHC ZC engines are the engines in the 86-89 Acura Integras. So those engines are almost a drop in swap... Those engines are of the non V-tech type. V-tech didn't come till 1990 in the Acura NSX for us in the U.S. 

A few years back I built a 86 CRX Si.. Pulled it apart, dropped in a 94 B-18B Acura 1.8 non V-tech engine (142hp) .. painted the car flat black including the engine bay and door jams. This build required custom engine mounts/axles and wiring harness. I must say the car looked AWESOME when it was done. I used Acura Integra GSR rims with a new set of Yokohama tires. I built this car in just three weeks.

The day before the car show that we were going too I was trying to finish up. Around 11:00 PM that night I turned the key to start the car... It didn't start... cranking but no start, spark but no fuel... and at this point I was toasted/burned out..... done for!! All my buds have left to go the the cars show in Carlisle PA. It was just me and the wife at the shop. She was asking all kinds of questions.... she wanted to know what was going on or not going on.. She had the Honda electrical manual in hand. I was so burned out I couldn't think straight. I told her "I all know is the fuel pump isn't powering up" So she sat me down and made me explain the electrical circuit too her. Then it hit me..... what if my custom wiring harness is "pinned" wrong:huh:. I pulled the connection out at the ECU and looked at were each pin should be.... well there it was, power for the fuel pump was in the wrong place. I pulled it out and put it in the right place.... hooked up the ECU... I turned the key to the "on" position and I heard the fuel pump power up. I looked at the wife and said "it's going to start" and that it did. At 1:30 AM we got the beast running and we did the test drive to Carlisle. We left the shop and with in 1/8 of a mile the car fell flat on it's face with no acceleration. I got it back to the shop too find the fuel filter full of H2O. I dumped out the water and put it back on. I took enough tools with me to do this a few times on the way. What a fun drive that was.... but we made and took 1st place in our class........ ahhhh OK our car was the only one in that category lol lol.

The kids loved my car... amongst all the shinny custom painted cars was this flat black CRX with a 1.8 Acura eng stuffed in it..... and I knew it looked good.... it was different!

Sold it about a year later.... Didn't make any money from it.... well I got my money back out of it that I had in it.... but the time I had in was a loss, but we did enjoy for a year;).

Hmmmmm sorry for going on... later

• Like 4

Looks like 3 Holley 2 barrels to me..........classic 'six pack' if it were MoPar ;).....

Good afternoon friends...........Nice story Mark!  I don't know how you made it through all of that being so tired, amazing !!

I was just telling Chuck that I was putting photos away for my new eBay audio sales I am putting up, and got all side tract looking at the first digital camera photos of my SHO at various car shows and cruise nights....  This is back in 2000-2001 ...   It is too cool to look at those photos and know, that 17 years later, the same car is STILL here and looking exactly the same way....yes, rust FREE :emotion-21::emotion-21:

I want to share some of those photos with you all soon......

• Like 4

Hello friends..........the rain has stopped, the Jazz is spinning.   Bottle of vino opened and grillin' some fresh veggies for dinner,  all is good here, hope you had a good day everyone....  :emotion-29:IMG_6811.jpg

some Ellington on the kitchen system..........IMG_6815.jpg

.............and wine in the glass............:lol:IMG_6814.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE said:

Morning all,

Just working on 1st cup. Got up a bit late this morning. Was up late last night we watched three movies with our fiends. They left around 12:00 but we stayed up till around 1:30:blink:

Not sure what I'll get into today... Looks like the rain has past and the sun is drying things out. 

That would be "CRX" Ceptor.... This one got 4 wheels lol lol.

Image result for 1986 honda crx

Now my dad is the motorcycle nut. He's the one that raced. He's a madman. My dad was a horse jockey and raced motorcycles as a hobby. I never owned a bike. I just was never really into it. I have rode a bit but never really wanted to get a bike. 

The car in the pic is like the one I have..... well the one I have is a shell. It's a 1986 CRX Si , so it's the fuel injection model. 

I started with Honda back in 86 and I remember when these cars were new. The 1st CRX Si was 1985 but the 86/87 models had the better looking trim and the phone dial wheels. The 1st time I saw a 86 Si was when we were getting a truck load of new cars at the dealer. One of the cars was the Silver Si one and that was the one I fell in love with. I said to myself "one day I'll have a Silver Si" 

I got my car about 26 years ago. 1986 silver CRX Si.... 85k miles and zero rust. It's has spent it's whole life in my garage till about 12 years ago. That's when I pulled it apart to do a rebuild on it. It's going to be a stock build but I have changed the tint if the silver to a Mercedes silver (Iriduim Silver). 

Over in Europe/Japan and Australia you could get the 135hp. 1.6 DOHC ZC engines in the CRX's. But here in the U.S. we only got the wimpy  91hp SOHC engines. The 1.6 DOHC ZC engines are the engines in the 86-89 Acura Integras. So those engines are almost a drop in swap... Those engines are of the non V-tech type. V-tech didn't come till 1990 in the Acura NSX for us in the U.S. 

A few years back I built a 86 CRX Si.. Pulled it apart, dropped in a 94 B-18B Acura 1.8 non V-tech engine (142hp) .. painted the car flat black including the engine bay and door jams. This build required custom engine mounts/axles and wiring harness. I must say the car looked AWESOME when it was done. I used Acura Integra GSR rims with a new set of Yokohama tires. I built this car in just three weeks.

The day before the car show that we were going too I was trying to finish up. Around 11:00 PM that night I turned the key to start the car... It didn't start... cranking but no start, spark but no fuel... and at this point I was toasted/burned out..... done for!! All my buds have left to go the the cars show in Carlisle PA. It was just me and the wife at the shop. She was asking all kinds of questions.... she wanted to know what was going on or not going on.. She had the Honda electrical manual in hand. I was so burned out I couldn't think straight. I told her "I all know is the fuel pump isn't powering up" So she sat me down and made me explain the electrical circuit too her. Then it hit me..... what if my custom wiring harness is "pinned" wrong:huh:. I pulled the connection out at the ECU and looked at were each pin should be.... well there it was, power for the fuel pump was in the wrong place. I pulled it out and put it in the right place.... hooked up the ECU... I turned the key to the "on" position and I heard the fuel pump power up. I looked at the wife and said "it's going to start" and that it did. At 1:30 AM we got the beast running and we did the test drive to Carlisle. We left the shop and with in 1/8 of a mile the car fell flat on it's face with no acceleration. I got it back to the shop too find the fuel filter full of H2O. I dumped out the water and put it back on. I took enough tools with me to do this a few times on the way. What a fun drive that was.... but we made and took 1st place in our class........ ahhhh OK our car was the only one in that category lol lol.

The kids loved my car... amongst all the shinny custom painted cars was this flat black CRX with a 1.8 Acura eng stuffed in it..... and I knew it looked good.... it was different!

Sold it about a year later.... Didn't make any money from it.... well I got my money back out of it that I had in it.... but the time I had in was a loss, but we did enjoy for a year;).

Hmmmmm sorry for going on... later

Haha....sorry Mark, thought it read CBX:D At least it was a Honda.

5 hours ago, Tarheel said:

IMG_1713.JPG

Nice!

• Like 3