Cables, Coffee, Cycles, and Cocktails

Tarheel

• Moderators
On 10/4/2017 at 9:37 PM, BigStewMan said:
On 10/4/2017 at 6:57 PM, T2K said:

I notice a lack of humility almost everywhere I go these days.

How do feel when you’re in a less humid place?  Do you like it or are you so accustomed to high humidity that low humidity is uncomfortable?

That was funny,   but high humility is much better.

• Haha 2

We had a nice, steady rain here... all day. We needed it, and only had a smattering of wind gusts. I stayed in bed, trying to shake a cold. Wife left Thursday for a trip home to the Philippines for three weeks. Her dad is not doing well but she had planned this in the Spring. I would have gone too, but the new job meant I start over with vacation time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

We had a nice, steady rain here... all day. We needed it, and only had a smattering of wind gusts. I stayed in bed, trying to shake a cold. Wife left Thursday for a trip home to the Philippines for three weeks. Her dad is not doing well but she had planned this in the Spring. I would have gone too, but the new job meant I start over with vacation time.

Yea we got some much needed rain also for the last three days.....now it can go back to being sunny!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dtel said:

On the edge of New Orleans, they call it the 9th ward, we moved from there when I was 10 or 11. When I was around 10 we moved about 20 miles away to what was the country back then. 

What really changed me was about 25 years ago we moved out of a subdivision to 18 acres, being an adult it was really the first time out away from a city, and i like it. Never lived in or around mountains, but we have thought about it. 

I grew up at the edge of a city....Indianapolis. I moved about 20 miles out of Indy to a city of 20k people 15 years ago, even here, I'm on the edge. I've never really lived in a city. I do like having a city close by, restaurants, theaters, shopping. I do like the country, as long as a city is fairly close.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I grew up at the edge of a city....Indianapolis.

When i was in the Coast Guard and stationed on a ship in Michigan, one of my shipmates invited me to his parent’s place for a weekend.  It was in Lafayette, Indiana. I don’t remember much about it though. We went to a huge party and it was the 70s and I would take anything given to me -- i do remember at one point, being SO messed up that i wondered what in the world was given to me. 

Actually, I’d have to look at a map to see what part of the state Lafayette is in.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

When i was in the Coast Guard and stationed on a ship in Michigan, one of my shipmates invited me to his parent’s place for a weekend.  It was in Lafayette, Indiana. I don’t remember much about it though. We went to a huge party and it was the 70s and I would take anything given to me -- i do remember at one point, being SO messed up that i wondered what in the world was given to me. 

Actually, I’d have to look at a map to see what part of the state Lafayette is in.

It's about halfway between Indy and Chicago on highway 65.

12 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I am well aware of the location of Lafayette Indiana… I sent a lot of money there… 

Purdue?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Is that where Purdue is?  Just kidding

There is one in Indy also, about half the size. 

I have a niece that's a Purdue grad. I tease her about the great views from all their sports facilities...there aren't any pesky championship banners hanging in your view. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
19 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

It's about halfway between Baton Rouge and the Texas state line. :o Oh nevermind I thought you were talking about the lafayette with the good food. :ph34r:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dtel said:

It's about halfway between Baton Rouge and the Texas state line. :o Oh nevermind I thought you were talking about the lafayette with the good food. :ph34r:

I have a feeling I would like the food in Lafayette La better than the food in Lafayette In. Some authentic Cajun food sounds wonderful. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I have a feeling I would like the food in Lafayette La better than the food in Lafayette In. Some authentic Cajun food sounds wonderful. 

Wait, do you mean to tell me that a deep fried pork cutlet can't stand up to some gumbo, or jambalaya, or a Po Boy?  Oh man.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Wait, do you mean to tell me that a deep fried pork cutlet can't stand up to some gumbo, or jambalaya, or a Po Boy?  Oh man.  

Tell me the north isn't still cursed with lack of flavor.  Surely, some there have discovered food before and brought it back and learned how to make it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I was raised on fried pork, it can be yummy. I hate to admit it...I've never had gumbo, jambalaya, other than the Mardi Gras days at the church earlier this year. I know, I need to get out more.

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Tell me the north isn't still cursed with lack of flavor.  Surely, some there have discovered food before and brought it back and learned how to make it.

Yes there are much better choices in restaurants locally. Actually Indianapolis has exploded with new restaurants, breweries, and quaint little hot spots, but somehow you lose some of the ambiance when it's manufactured new, to look old. I spent a little time around San Antonio, Gruene, and New Braunfels Tx recently (wife and daughter there now) and there are many places that are authentic, they are the real thing. Being a contractor, I can tell the difference. My only complaint was some of them are so authentic, they didn't have AC :D

• Like 1